boat trailer brakes repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 25 year old EZLoader trailer, dual axle, brakes on one axle, 2 5/16" ball.

The brakes have not been used in 10 or more years, but I now want to get them working.

Repair drum or replace with disc?

Do people put electric brakes on boat trailers? My truck is setup for electric brakes.

Any good places to buy the parts besides EBAY? Northern seems expensive.

Can the coupler be rebuilt?

The coupler itself is expensive.

Last edited:
Actually EZ Loader had parts for fairly decent prices. Those were miscellaneous parts. We have used Kodiak disc kits at my work. I would switch to disc. Can't help much on the electric to hydraulic. Disc are easier to rinse down etc.

I should also say that the trailer will not be used very many times a year. It will most likely be used to bring the boat to a marina and then to bring it back. Fresh water only.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Actually EZ Loader had parts for fairly decent prices. Those were miscellaneous parts. We have used Kodiak disc kits at my work. I would switch to disc. Can't help much on the electric to hydraulic. Disc are easier to rinse down etc.
I would second this.
I put Kodiak stainless surge brakes on my, sadly, soon to be former boat. There was a significant improvement in stopping performance over the Tie Down junk that was on there before.
I only put them on the front and felt it was more than adequate. It's a 23' at about 5-6500klbs with 15 inch tires.

I just got a coupler for cheap at Northern Tool a few weeks ago, less than a hundred.

Last edited:
Most boat trailers use surge brakes as the electrical connections will corrode with repeated submersion in water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back