evaporation rates of 50/50 green coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some drips under my 18 month old radiator, and after tightening the upper hose clamp, saw the dripping had slowed, but not stopped.

The next day there was still a wet spot under the vehicle, and a couple drops hanging on the lowest point.

I drove to work, parked and smelled evaporating coolant, and put something so I did not drip on my client's driveway. 7 hours later and there was no drips.

Is it possible that whatever coolant had saturated the fins did not fully evaporate until I drove again?

Does 50/50 antifreeze evaporate a lot slower than just water would?

Well, another day and no drips from the radiator. I have to assume that the upper radiator hose clamp being slightly loose allowed some coolant to seep out, and wet the fins enough that it still dripped hours later. The weather was hardly dry, but I have to assume that Antifreeze does not evaporate very easily exposed to air at normal temperatures.

Unless someone cares to contradict this assumption

My unscientific impression is that the 50/50 green does evaporate "significantly." I'm sure it's at a much slower rate than pure water, though. I've had a number of Fords over the years using green that had Ford's poorly sealed expansion tanks. They all needed periodic refilling. That was with no leaks and no evidence of leaking into the engine.

Come to think of it, the small block Chevs on taxi service weren't much different, either, and got regular top ups.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

Is it possible that whatever coolant had saturated the fins did not fully evaporate until I drove again?

I think that is quite possible as I have seen spilled coolant in engine compartments seem to hang around for awhile.

I chased an upper coolant hose leak on a farm tractor for months. Same as you, I tightened the clamp and it seemed to stop. Then weeks later it showed up again. I even took the radiator off and had it checked at a specialty shop thinking I had a hole or crack somewhere. It turned out that for some undetectable reason, the clamp wasn't quite right. Under the some conditions, it would leak. Other times it went for days without leaking.
21.gif

Don't toss out other possibilities either, such as a micro crack or hole that maybe opens up at maximum radiator pressure or whatever.

Keep an eye on it and with luck you are o.k..

Okay another 24 hours with no coolant drips and no coolant evaporating smell when I park.

I'm thinking of getting a bunch of stainless T bolt hose clamps to replace the worm drive type. They have been giving me issues off and on for years

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I'm thinking of getting a bunch of stainless T bolt hose clamps to replace the worm drive type. They have been giving me issues off and on for years

Don't get me started. I complained about hose clamps in the hose clamp thread, having boatloads of problems with recent hoseclamps made in North America. I just changed the thermostat in my old Audi (now belongs to my friend) and had more hose clamp nightmares.

Fortunately, my business has boxes of them. Unfortunately, out of one box, I'll find one or two good ones.

Well I did not start the Van yesterday. This morning I see drips under the radiator again. The hose clamps are dry.

Apparently it has to sit more than 24hrs without being driven for it to leak.

I am irritated.

Yank the hose and slather some RTV inside it then slide it back on and clamp it. I'd find some constant tension spring style ones if you could.

Colant leaks usually leave a stain when they evaporate, but that is NOT necessarily where the leak is. Repair shops have tools to pressurize a system over night to uncover leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back