Motor Oil Seal Conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, my car still leaks oil with PU just as much as it did with GC.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.pennzoil.com/technology-of-clean/motor-oil-comparisons/

I was looking at Pennzoil's comparison chart and it it shows the Ultra has the same amount of seal conditioners as their High Mileage oil. This doesn't seem to be the case for the Mobil 1 line as far as I know. Unless it's completely marketing and that most of the High Mileage oils really just contain a bit more ester??

Buster - I noticed this too. I consider it incorrect information by the Pennzoil chart. Look at the chart, it shows the starts the SAME in every category for each oil. They are obviously just trying to make each "step up," sound better.

I certainly imagine the high mileage product would still have more in it to deal with seals than Ultra. The actual Ultra page doesn't mention a word on seals I don't believe.

The funniest parameter is the one called "Recommended by Ferrari". The way I see it, something is either recommended by Ferrari or it is not. It's a binary result. So what does 2 out of 5 stars mean? Is it somewhat recommended by Ferrari?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The funniest parameter is the one called "Recommended by Ferrari". The way I see it, something is either recommended by Ferrari or it is not. It's a binary result. So what does 2 out of 5 stars mean? Is it somewhat recommended by Ferrari?
laugh.gif

funny I was thinking the same thing. same with the star system for the warranty, either it has one or not. overall I think this new website is full of fail. seems they are trying to hard, they should just present the facts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
same with the star system for the warranty, either it has one or not.

Actually, Pennzoil offers two different types of warranty: 500K miles/15 years for Ultra and 300K miles/10 years for all the others, so it sort of makes sense.

Interestingly the High Mileage oils have the least cleaning power.

I guess that's so it doesn't expose false seals?

Idiots or not the stars must mean something.

Last edited:
PYB HM has a lot of cleaners like the regular PYB...

I still believe that a syn oil will find the leak faster then a conventional oil...

Just called Shell. Waiting to hear back. The girl said the HM had more seal conditioners but after I showed her the website, she wasn't sure and said she will ask the formulators.

Just got a call from Shell. PU has the same seal conditioners as their HM oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

The same conditioners or the same amount of conditioner?

Good point . I simply don't believe there is all same concentration as in the high mileage product. It wouldn't line up with what I have seen on my car with small leak either. The HM oils always do better than the synthetic or non-HM conventional.

http://www.pennzoil.com/technology-of-clean/motor-oil-comparisons/

I was looking at Pennzoil's comparison chart and it it shows the Ultra has the same amount of seal conditioners as their High Mileage oil. This doesn't seem to be the case for the Mobil 1 line as far as I know. Unless it's completely marketing and that most of the High Mileage oils really just contain a bit more ester??

Too much seal conditioners would probably destroy your seals. There must be a reason why ILSAC GF-5 has limits on seal swelling as well as seal shrinkage. I would go with ILSAC GF-5 for best seal longevity and if there is a leak, simply fix it if necessary. High-mileage oils are a marketing gimmick in my opinion -- use them at your own peril.

By the way, this might be the reason why Pennzoil Ultra doesn't satisfy ILSAC GF-5, as it cannot pass the seal-protection tests.

Quote:
High-mileage oils are a marketing gimmick in my opinion -- use them at your own peril.

That's not really true. There are special seal conditioners they use.

The same conditioners or the same amount of conditioner?

Same amount.

http://www.pennzoil.ca/technology-of-clean/motor-oil-comparisons/

This is hard to believe, but I like the idea of it! I hope it's true. Thank you.

The whole chart though, the fact that they rank some of the other oils 2/5 by recommended by Ferrari? What does that mean? ha-ha! Everything but one weight of Ultra is not recommended by Ferrari, so how do the others score 2 stars?

Last edited:
Quote:
High-mileage oils are a marketing gimmick in my opinion -- use them at your own peril.

That's not really true. There are special seal conditioners they use.

But no different than what is used in PU.
Wouldn't that make the marketing of a separate High-Mileage oil largely redundant particularly in a synthetic oil?

High Mileage oils are somewhat heavier than their regular oil counterparts plus usually have higher concentrations of seal swell conditioners, but I too think the marketing of HM oil is
gimmicky since it's targeted at vehicles with 75,000 miles (which is not a lot) regardless of vehicle condition.

buster said:
but I too think the marketing of HM oil is
gimmicky since it's targeted at vehicles with 75,000 miles (which is not a lot) regardless of vehicle condition.

I'd certainly agree with that. 75,000 is a funny number to use. Probably because it falls that the majority of cars have at least that many. ha-ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back