Harley owners!!! Whatcha runnin' in all 3 holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I hate to hijack but I've recently become interested in the USA air cooled twin.

In a Japanese bike you have motor oil doing everything. I understand you have your motor oil but what in the other two plugs. AND, what is a primary? My guess is that it is the big, double roller chain connecting the motor to the trans, but I'm not well versed in this.

The gearbox is separate in a HD. You are pretty much correct in your definition of a primary. The primary holds the chain, clutch, and stator assy. Essentially there are 3 separate compartments for oils.
1. Engine oil for the engine
2. Primary oil, engine oil, or ATF for the primary.
3. Gear oil for the gearbox.

Mobil 1 - 15w50 regular not the $$$ V-twin stuff
Rotella T 15w40 Primary
Mobil 1 75 -90 gear lube

This has worked for my last three Harleys

I use Rotella T 15w40 only in the KLR 650

97 Road King;

Engine: Valvoline 20w50 SynPower that I got on special a while back with a Motorcraft FL-400S filter.

Primary: A mix of 16 oz Type F ATF and 22 oz Bardahl Primary fluid...previously just type F but didn't have enough for full change.

Trans: Bardahl 80w90 semi-syn trans lube.

...got a bunch of the Bardahl American Classic line of lubes from Dennis Kirk about year and half ago on special...I change a lot for my friends as well...

What do you think about running ATF in a sportster combined primary/trans?

the clutch drag/clunk going into gear is insane... more than any bike ive ever ridden.

This is my gf's sportster she picked up on friday, a 04 1200.

Ive read others use ATF in the primary, and I don't see how it would hurt the gearbox. lots of manual transmissions out there use ATF.

I ' heard lots of guys say they have used atf in their primary's, but those were the big twins not sportys.What have you been using? If 20/50 wt is what your using, that might be the cause of the bang into gear. You should check the chain adjustment and clutch adjustment also. I changed from 20/50 to 15/40 wt oil on my old police bike, and it made a difference. I personally wouldn't use atf in the primary as it's not specified by Harley, and might do more harm then good in the trans.

Nope, I haven't heard of anyone using ATF in a sportster...Amsoil 20w50 MC oil works well in that hole...and I'm sure there are other alternate lubes available for a sporty trans/primary...might check on a motorcycle specific forum such as V-Twin forum.com to see what has worked for others...

I have a 2004 sportster 1200 that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. It had 16500 miles. I have mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 in the primary and I have no clunk sounds and the clutch feels perfect. I can't compare it to any other fluid because the 20w50 is still in it,but I have read on mobiles website they recommend their 10w40 4t oil. I will try rotella t6 5w40 very soon because I have 4 gallons sitting around.

Originally Posted By: Jjones
I have a 2004 sportster 1200 that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. It had 16500 miles. I have mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 in the primary and I have no clunk sounds and the clutch feels perfect. I can't compare it to any other fluid because the 20w50 is still in it,but I have read on mobiles website they recommend their 10w40 4t oil. I will try rotella t6 5w40 very soon because I have 4 gallons sitting around.

Since the primary and gearbox share the same oil, I would stick with the 20w-50, or even 15w-40 in Very Cold weather. I personally think the 10w-40 or 5w-40 is too thin for the HD gearbox. Formula + or other "primary/gearbox" oils available from several companies such as Redline, Bel-Ray, Etc., would be better than the 5w/10w-40's.

Redline's website says the primary fluid is MTL.. I have some of that left over from my car so that's what I'll refill with. it has a leak anyway so I'm gonna gather up all the gaskets and replace everything.

I've run Mobil 1 in the engine in the past with good luck. This year I'm changing to the VR-1 20w-50. Rotella 15w-40 in primary and Mobil 75w-90 in the tranny. I think these are good choices for the climate in Va.
Bob

Same fluids in both

2002 Softail Deuce 88ci
2011 Road Glide Custom 103ci

Amsoil MCV 20w50 in motor and primary case
Amsoi Severe Gear 75w90 in Trans

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
I've recently did an OC on my '11 Streetglide. Switched everything over to Amsoil. I was running theie 'Supershift' in the primary, and didn't like the feel of it. I drained it, and went with the 20w-50. So, I'm running 20w-50 in the engine and primary, and 75w-110 gear oil in the tranny.
Anyone else running this combo? Anyone happy with the Supershift ATF in their primary?
I was thinking about switching to Redline on my next OC. That will probably be next Spring though.
So, whatcha all runnin?
Valvoline VR1 20W50 in motor
H-D Formula+ in primary

Valvoline 75W90 syn in trans.

I use Amsoil 20w-50 in the engine. Amsoil 75w-110 in the transmission. And Amsoil 10w-40 in the primary case. Works very well, and shifts smooth.

HD 20w50 in crankcase
Formula + in primary and tranny
I get these free with my Harley Chrome Cash rewards from HD credit card.
Never had any problems with these until last year when my trans main bearing went and was making heck of a noise and was replaced. Hopefully it is a long time before another mechanical problem. Right now I am working on a heated gear problem before our annual Easter trip to the Ozarks.
Safe riding to all you guys.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back