Mil spec H5606?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
MIL-H-5606c,d
use aero shell or exxon univis J-13 if is the same stuff

basicly a kerosene cut with about 15% PMA VII and a ZDDP or used to be TCP additive.
IS NOT A phoshate ester skydraul oil NOT commpatible the Tellus 22 should be fine VI is lower tho.
bruce

Bruce what did you just say there? If you could explain it a little better I would appreciate it,thanks.
cheers.gif

Ok start again the MIL-H-5606 c,d,e revision is made from a kerosene type base oil with the addition of a (PMA) polymethacrylate VII at about 15% then there also is a AW and rust inhib package, years ago they used (TCP) tricrsyl phosphate but that is a cancer causer now not used. Now is a ZDDP type AW hydrualic package I think.

Anyway Exxon has a product that is readily avalible called Univis J-13. Or look up the shell equal called aeroshell somehting forgot.

The Monsanto skydraul mentioned is a Phos ester and is NOT the same and is NOT compatible do not use.

bruce

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
Ok start again the MIL-H-5606 c,d,e revision is made from a kerosene type base oil with the addition of a (PMA) polymethacrylate VII at about 15% then there also is a AW and rust inhib package, years ago they used (TCP) tricrsyl phosphate but that is a cancer causer now not used. Now is a ZDDP type AW hydrualic package I think.

Anyway Exxon has a product that is readily avalible called Univis J-13. Or look up the shell equal called aeroshell somehting forgot.

The Monsanto skydraul mentioned is a Phos ester and is NOT the same and is NOT compatible do not use.

bruce

Thanks bruce,the Tellus T 22 is real handy for me and I wanted to make sure I understood your post. Your saying stay away from Monsanto Skydraul but the T 22 will work,music to my ears,thanks again!
bowdown.gif

Right, I will back that up. 5606 in not to be substituted with skydrol, two completely different oils. The thing I don't like about 5606 is that it leaves a very sticky residue. There is more to complain about skydrol.

the somewhat volitle "kero" base oil will evaporate over time with heat and leave behind the VII that is the sticky stuff.
bruce

Not sure what the problem is as 5606 is common as dirt. Used in most general avation aircraft for example. About 8 bux a gallon.

edit: Oops, I see this is an old thread. My bad
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JetSnake
Right, I will back that up. 5606 in not to be substituted with skydrol, two completely different oils. The thing I don't like about 5606 is that it leaves a very sticky residue. There is more to complain about skydrol.

Hello!
Please apprise me about Monsanto Skydrol and Why it is not suitable ? Thanks in advance.

Skydrol is very nasty compared to other hydraulic fluids. I would not recommend it unless in a mitral required application since it is ~200 a gallon retail.

Instead of 5606, why not mil-prt-83282? It is basically the synthetic version and doesn't play with the seals as much as 5606 does.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Skydrol is very nasty compared to other hydraulic fluids. I would not recommend it unless in a mitral required application since it is ~200 a gallon retail.

Instead of 5606, why not mil-prt-83282? It is basically the synthetic version and doesn't play with the seals as much as 5606 does.

So basically Skydrol is bad option because it's technically inferior or because of the horrendous cost ($200/gal really true?) ?

5606 and Skydrol use different seals. I've used both and Skydrol is not fun to be around if you have a leak or a mist from a leak under pressure. If you ever get it in your eyes you will never forget the feeling, hurts bad enough that you don't want to open your eyes, castrol oil is what we use to stop the stinging fast. Don't breath the mist or even the dust from the oil dry used to clean up the leak or your nose will burn for some time...not fun. Be careful if you use Skydrol, I would try to stay with 5606 if I could, but that is my .02. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: fpracha
So basically Skydrol is bad option because it's technically inferior or because of the horrendous cost ($200/gal really true?) ?

Skydrol is a phosphate ester fluid with all of the advantages (and disadvantages) of them. If your system requires phosphate ester, it is an aerospace version; there are industrial versions I believe. It requires special seals, bothers most people's skin, and is significantly higher $$.

WHY do you think you want to use it?

5606, OTOH, is a hydrocarbon base fluid, roughly ISO 15, has excellent VI characteristics ... but is, IMO, too thin for industrial or mobile systems unless specifically designed for it as is much military gear. Are you trolling, or is there a real question here?

Originally Posted By: George Bynum

Skydrol is a phosphate ester fluid with all of the advantages (and disadvantages) of them. If your system requires phosphate ester, it is an aerospace version; there are industrial versions I believe. It requires special seals, bothers most people's skin, and is significantly higher $$.

WHY do you think you want to use it?

5606, OTOH, is a hydrocarbon base fluid, roughly ISO 15, has excellent VI characteristics ... but is, IMO, too thin for industrial or mobile systems unless specifically designed for it as is much military gear. Are you trolling, or is there a real question here?

We do not have manual handling of the hydraulic oils because of mobile OEM system used to change the system fills. Each fill is approx 10 Ltrs to 20 Ltrs.
We are considering to use Skydrol due to its long oil life, stable natural viscosity range, and skydrol oil's stability at temperature extremes of cold to warm to hot at high rotation speeds. Want to replace the spindle oil iso-10 grade with Skydrol LD4 or 500B-4. The hydrocarbon types have low life and thin out much at high speeds, losing film protection. Which once would you recommend ?

We do not have manual handling of the hydraulic oils because of mobile OEM system used to change the system fills. Each fill is approx 10 Ltrs to 20 Ltrs.
We are considering to use Skydrol due to its long oil life, stable natural viscosity range, and Skydrol oil's stability at temperature extremes of cold to warm to hot at high rotation speeds. Want to replace the spindle oil iso-10 grade with Skydrol LD4 or 500B-4. The hydrocarbon types have low life and thin out much at high speeds, losing film protection.
Your reasons all seem valid.
Which once would you recommend ?
Aha, nothing like the hot seat ...

I'm reasonably well qualified to make a recommendation on machinery types with which I work, industrial and mobile hydraulics ... but this is out of my expertise. I must assume you've been using what the OEM recommends and it is not performing as you wish. The two things I would do are to contact the OE for their recommendations of a BETTER fluid in your operation than their usual, and to contact several synthetic fluid manufacturers for their recommendations. To get a decent answer will require product details you may not want to disclose here. Four companies who offer synthetic fluids are E F Houghton, Monsanto, Quaker, and Stauffer ... and I'm not suggesting those are the only ones, or even the best. Your viscosity alone puts you out of the range of what I play with ... 98+% of mine is ISO32-ISO68.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of knowing what seal and line (if any flexible lines are used) materials are present, and what optional ones are available. I've not personally experienced it, but associates tell me that walking through a Skydrol spill dissolves your shoe soles. The owners of the one test cell application I worked on with Skydrol required full synthetic rubber suits and sealed goggles just to be in the room with it.

With phosphate ester fluids, your leak and disposal issues are greater than with petroleum fluids.

From MY experience, 5606 is closest to meeting your needs, but not ideal as you note.

Do report back on your results and what you learn.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of knowing what seal and line (if any flexible lines are used) materials are present, and what optional ones are available.

With phosphate ester fluids, your leak and disposal issues are greater than with petroleum fluids.

From MY experience, 5606 is closest to meeting your needs, but not ideal as you note.

Do report back on your results and what you learn.
OK thanks, seems like Skydrol will be unsuitable for rubber hoses... even if we only use the high grade high temperature ones from parker; will report results when done.

OK thanks, seems like Skydrol will be unsuitable for rubber hoses... even if we only use the high grade high temperature ones from parker; will report results when done.
Parker (and most other hose manufacturers) certainly make hoses suitable for phosphate ester ... EPDM cores ... their 424, 304, and 774 ... but temperatures per the catalog are limited to 176F (80C).

Parker (and most other hose manufacturers) certainly make hoses suitable for phosphate ester ... EPDM cores ... their 424, 304, and 774 ... but temperatures per the catalog are limited to 176F (80C).
Thanks, will try to use these if testing Skydrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back