Hiding a spare key?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into Advance Auto yesterday. I wanted to pick up one of those magnetic "Hide-A-Key" things so I could stash a spare key in my car's wheelwell, or some other similar place. But the AA clerk said they didn't sell them. Does anyone know where they can be found? Also, have any of you ever used these things; do they work OK? By that, I mean do they stay where you put them?

Buy an earth magnet, slap it on wherever you want with the key on it, call it a day.

I went to replace a park light bulb on one of my cars and found a key in there. The last place someone would look (and they do)....but you'd need to carry a screwdriver.

I just keep my spare key in my wallet all the time. Saved me twice already, like when my daughter drove for me. We went to the mall and she had to attend to an emergency, and forgot to hand me the key before she took off. The other time was I was attending a wedding and the original key somehow slipped out of my pocket.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
put the key in zip-lock bag and use velro to attach behind the license plate.have used this for 20 years. works great!

Good to know !
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
put the key in zip-lock bag and use velro to attach behind the license plate.have used this for 20 years. works great!

Until now , you just told 30,000 people on this board how to steal your cars. LOL

Only problem nowadays is keys with the FOB attached to the key, like Honda and many others are currently doing. The keys no longer fit behind a Lic Plate or in a wallet
frown.gif
GRRRRRR, also I can't lock my car with the key fob while it is running like I could do in my older 1998 and a 2004 car that I had. I have to carry the extra key and use the mechanical lock since the FOB is disable while key is in the ignition.

Wow I like the license plate idea
smile.gif
as far as the I'dginal question, Walmart sells 2 different hide a key sizes. But I've also heard of people using zip ties and hooking them under the cajust not sure where they hook them lol

I ride my bike over 6000 miles a year going to and from work alone. In those 6000 miles, I'll say I see about 30 of those hide a key thingies littered along side the road. Usually just past a big bump, pothole or a set of railroad tracks. Some have even had duct tape or aluminum tape affixed to them. I know someone who put a stud on a frame rail (basically a bolt held in place with a nut) then he used a nylock wing nut to hold they key in place. He would put a piece of sheet metal over the key and paint it black so even if someone would crawl under the car, it wouldn't be so obvious.
Scotty brings up a good point about the FOB. That would be a tough one. Though many cars with keyless entry or those fancy chip keys can be unlocked via satellite.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I know someone who put a stud on a frame rail (basically a bolt held in place with a nut) then he used a nylock wing nut to hold they key in place. He would put a piece of sheet metal over the key and paint it black so even if someone would crawl under the car, it wouldn't be so obvious.

I was just about to suggest this. They did this on the Trucks TV show.

On my old Mazda B truck, there was a gap on each end of the rear bumper, accessible from underneath. I always stored a hide-a-key inside there. Now, I simply don't use door locks. I use the key fob to lock my vehicles.

Years ago Home Depot use to sell great little hide-a-key boxes, I still use them to this day, powerful magnets, they don't budge. However, I always place them on a horizontal surface right side up.

Unfortunately, they dropped them along with most of their other quality mechandise, could never find them anywhere again, the new ones I've seen look flimsy.

I have a key magnet i stuck under side of my car. But alway alway carry 1 on my wallet. and if your key have the chip, and only can use 1, alway alway check for key before close the door, i alway did that and its became my habit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back