1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 3FE oil reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 91 Toyota FJ80 with the 3FE engine. It has 174k miles on it. The previous owner ran Mobil 1 10w-40 but only changed 5 quarts of the 8.5 during each oil change. Weird.

The manual says to use 10w-30. Googling, I find people running 10w-30, 15w-40 and 20w-50. I want to use conventional oil, since from what I have read, this engine was never intended to run synthetic. I plan to change every 3,000 miles (yes, excessive, but I am that way with maintenance). I live in southern CA.

What weight do you think I should run?

Unless there is something i am unaware of with that engine, my first thought would be 5W-30 conventional. Especially, PRIMARILY due to the 3000 miles you change it. Maybe even Supertech 5W-30. $11.84 5 quarts at Walmart.

And, i just re-read the context of the question.. back when that Land Cruiser was made, 10W-30 *MAYBE* had an advantage over "stability" (shear stability? Thermal breakdown?) over 5W-30. Not anymore. The SN oil of today, even that Supertech which is a good oil, will NOT shear.. at least as far as i know it wont. So, coming from a 10W-30, my first thought really is 5W-30 here. If the previous owner used 10W-40 then.. its up to you to stick with that, or maybe try a different grade. You have many choices here. The application does not sound particularly demanding. heat also *shouldnt* factor in too much ? ? ?

I may not be aware of what oil that engine "likes" but if it works then it works....

Nice Land Cruiser!

photo2bcl.jpg

Originally Posted By: CARJ
photo2bcl.jpg

I now change my recommendation to "stick with 10W-40."

I like that! And Is that a snorkel? Do you go river fording with this? Looks so fun!

Nice and clean FJ-80! One of my favorites. Maybe a nice 5w-30HM? That 3FE has to be working hard in there. Did I miss any info. about consumption? Oil change of 5qt. only is odd-people do have some interesting quirks.

Yes, that is a Toyota snorkel, bought from Japan. I don't ford rivers. A snorkel also helps in the desert. It keeps the air intake out of the dust.

I've only had the Cruiser for 5 days so I can't comment on consumption. There is an oil leak (looks like the pan). After doing some reading, I went and bought some Supertech 20w-50 (it get's hot here) but now I am second guessing that choice.

Yes, that is a Toyota snorkel, bought from Japan. I don't ford rivers. A snorkel also helps in the desert. It keeps the air intake out of the dust.

I've only had the Cruiser for 5 days so I can't comment on consumption. There is an oil leak (looks like the pan). After doing some reading, I went and bought some Supertech 20w-50 (it get's hot here) but now I am second guessing that choice.

Supertech 10W-40 is rather thin, and should work well here.

Maybe exchange?
wink.gif

Also.. how bad is that leak. 20W-50 ay help, may not. Pan leak would be a bit difficult. i have successfully fixed oil pan leaks with J-B Weld. I am sure others here have as well.

Rusted pan? Or just a hole? Or gasket?

Y_K, I am very aware of Mud. Thanks.

45ACP, I think it is a pan gasket. That's at least the first thing I will change.

I've only had the Cruiser for 5 days so I can't comment on consumption.

I asked as I am wondering if that is why only 5 of 8.5 went in at change time. Meaning that it burned the other 3.5 off, and previous owner did not feel the need to drain off the oil he replaced during OCI.

No, the guy claimed that oil doesn't break down and that his grandfather taught him to do that. Checking the dipstick, the oil level is just right.

I would use Supertech 15w40 over the 10w40 and 20w50 flavors. Better add pack then both. And not super thick like the 20w50.

Great Truck! I really love these 4wd "utilitarian", for lack of a better word, trucks. There was a poster with a nice looking Land Rover a few weeks ago that looked great as well.

A 10w30 or 10w40 HM oil like Maxlife, Pennzoil, Supertech etc. are great choices as well and may help with the leak.

Last edited:
Is this your first Toyota? If so, welcome to the family!
welcome2.gif

I don't think running syn will do any harm. Read my sig for what I use here in HOT AZ and I change every 5k which ends up being ~twice a year (less hassle).

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Is this your first Toyota? If so, welcome to the family!
welcome2.gif

I don't think running syn will do any harm. Read my sig for what I use here in HOT AZ and I change every 5k which ends up being ~twice a year (less hassle).

I agree if he wanted to run a synthetic I think M1HM is excellent stuff.

Several points:
One, this does NOT have a roller cam, does it? Considering that...I'd probably use 15W-40 for the extra ZDDP.

Two, be aware this engine is ANCIENT! The F/FE series of "Toyota" engines are actually direct copies (the head gaskets interchange) of the old 4-bearing Chevrolet "Stovebolt" six. The 3F-E is essentially a 1930's design dressed up with modern (for its time) EFI.

This is a 1FZ-F engine. Inline-6 and pretty much a tank.

Use a heavy oil xw-40. I used a M1 High Mileage 10w-40 when I had a 97 LC. The valve guides in these are designed to burn a little oil.

Congrats on your fj80....those things are awesome. In Nicaragua, my Dad had one and put over 350,000 miles on it!!! Don't what grade oil, but i am sure it was conventional oil. It was a Turbo Diesel I6 engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JasonBraswell
This is a 1FZ-F engine. Inline-6 and pretty much a tank.

Use a heavy oil xw-40. I used a M1 High Mileage 10w-40 when I had a 97 LC. The valve guides in these are designed to burn a little oil.

I thought the 1-FZ started in '93 for the 80-Series Land Cruisers. From '90-'92 was the 3-FE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back