Recommended Oil for '12 Turbo Beetle 2.0 TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The volume of information on this site is overwhelming so I thought I'd just ask...

Bought a new 2012 VW Beetle Turbo.

2.0 TSI Engine 2.0 TSI engine
Manual states Specs VW 502 00. VW 504 00
Says Synthetic 5W-30 or 5W-40 are acceptable

I'd like to go full synthetic and plan on changes every 5K.

It's a daily driver that will get standard use. Probably between 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Take your pick of these Eurpoean Formulas:

Mobil 1 0W-40
Castrol Syntec 0W-30 ( German Castrol)
Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40

These are all VW 502 certified and easily found, well except for the PU which can be a little tricky to find.

See here for the list of VW oils
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/med...n_1997-2012.pdf

I'm currently running M1 0W-40 in my Jetta 2.0T

Congrats on the new Beetle...how do you like it? I really like the look of them over the previous gen. Very Porche like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Amsoil European Formula meets those specs. I use it in my 02 Diesel Beetle bug.

It may meet the spec's but is it VW 502 certified? I don't see it on the list. The OP's Beetle is brand new, I imagine he wants to keep his warrenty. Stick to the list to be safe.
Post warrenty, use what you want.

0w30 & 0w40 oil is not approved so stick with the 5w30 or 5w40. I probably would first use a 5w30 and hold off on the 40wt until excessive usage or leakage showed up if it ever would. JMO. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
0w30 & 0w40 oil is not approved so stick with the 5w30 or 5w40. I probably would first use a 5w30 and hold off on the 40wt until excessive usage or leakage showed up if it ever would. JMO. Ed

Please explain how 0w30 & 0w40 oil is not approved?

VW/Audi does not specify weights, but rather by sepc as VW 502, 504, 505, etc

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

Please explain how 0w30 & 0w40 oil is not approved?

VW/Audi does not specify weights, but rather by sepc as VW 502, 504, 505, etc

Not sure, however, the OP did state that the manual suggested 5w30 and 5w40 (with the VW approval spec too). If that is true, they should probably stick with that in case they get any fussy VW warranty people after them.

This is a reason I don't use 0w30 German Castrol in my Mercedes. It is approved oil, but in my owners manual it says to only use 0w30 up to 86 degrees or something. I know that is ridiculous, but just in case some dealer warranty writer wanted to complain...

Castrol 0w30 (GC) and Mobil 1 0w40 most certainly are vw502 approved. I've never personally seen a 5w30 that met the spec but they may exist. Most vw502 oils are 40wt so I don't think it's good advice to "hold off" on it. The 30 weights are the exception not the rule. VW dealers (at least around here) use either Castrol 5w40 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w40.

For what it's worth, I use M1 0w40 in our 2008 jetta because you can get it with the 29.99 sale that autozone frequently has.

EDIT: Honestly, the 502 oil spec is very strict and any oil that meets it is a high quality oil. Just pick whichever one you can get the cheapest.

Last edited:
If you going to do 5K OCI's...with any of the above oils...I would suggest getting a top-tier oil filter.....one that can do 10K to 15K.

The Mobil 1EP, Bosch Distance Plus, or even the Fram XP, would meet that criteria....and be able to go for at least two oil changes.

My daughter has a 2000 Beetle and I have used Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol Edge in 5w30 grade for years and it does well, doesn't burn, leak or require mid interval adds of oil. I do change it every 4-5k miles when she happens to be home from Auburn and keep a Pureone or Bosch filter on it. No sign of sludge or leaks at least not yet. And both those oils are on specials often.
welcome2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back