frothy oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did an oil change today on my 2008 Ford Expedition, with 37k miles on the odometer and 6k miles on the oil. Have been using Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend motor oil since new. The oil level was a 1/2 quart low on the dipstick before I changed it. There is a Fumoto drain valve in lieu of the factory drain plug, so the oil drains slower with the valve than with the plug. When I pulled the drain pan from under the truck there was an oily froth on the surface of the oil. The oil itself didn't appear to be aerated, just fairly large air bubbles on top of the oil. What would cause this to happen? Does it indicate a problem with the oil or the engine? Anything to be concerned about?

The lack of a real drain bolt may be causing junk to build up in the pan because of the narrower opening and slower oil flow. Putting a real drain bolt may resolve the issue. I would put the factory drain plug back in the vehicle for a while to exclude unknowns. Or at least get rid of the nipple part which is what slows things down. You have an expedition, so you don't even have to jack it up. Oil changes couldn't be easier. Saved you nothing as you've ended up pulling the pan anyways.

Beyond the valve, overfilling or coolant/head gasket problems are the two things that give oil the appearance of a milk shake. Always check/change the oil on a flat surface, depending on the angle the oil could appear under when its really over, etc. Check for coolant loss.

Btw, Jiffy Lube tried the quick drain valve back in the 90's, and found out the hard way the valves can fail causing a loss of oil and the engine! I know because my "jiffy valve" started leaking after a while, and I was in line with people that had oil lights on, furious over the valves.

Do I like the idea of the valve? yes. I use the Fram XG and other extended drain filters. Would love to just drain and fill some oil every now and then like I do with the coolant and tranny. But that experience at Jiffy Lube has me scared of them. Maybe these are fine, but failuer is a bad thing

Originally Posted By: slc10844
The oil itself didn't appear to be aerated, just fairly large air bubbles on top of the oil. What would cause this to happen? Does it indicate a problem with the oil or the engine?

I'll go for the obvious first. Was there anything in the drain pan before you drained the oil into it that might account for such an appearance?

I also have the Fumoto valve and get the foamy bubbles during oil changes.

Like others have said, it just that narrow stream of oil, draining into the pan, that's causing this.

I have noticed this happening a couple of times on a few vehicles since switching to an open used oil container to catch the oil. I don't have fumoto drain valves, just the conventional drain bolts.

I've been told that it is a normal reaction when the fuel in the oil from an enclosed environment (engine) comes in contact with air (O2), creating a foam on top of the oil (not aeration). I see a similar reaction when I fill gasoline containers at the gas pump.

I work at a commercial truck shop and about 30 % of my customers have fumoto valves. What you are describing is common especially on cold engines during oil changes
If you are worried, then get a sample and send it to a lab. And have a good night's sleep
wink.gif

Last edited:
I'll see what happens when I do the next oil change. This was the first time I noticed bubbles in the pan. The pan was wiped clean before I started but maybe there was some residue left behind from the last time I used it. Engine runs fine with no unusual noises, loss of coolant or oil consumption. Just didn't know if it was something in the oil that would cause it or be an area of concern.

So, this fumoto valve. I guess I'm the last person to hear of it. Does it work well, drain completely, no leaks, etc.? Thinking of ordering one.

If it's an Expedition, it's up high. If you have it on ramps, it's even higher...when you drain the oil, it is 'falling' a long way into the pan.

If you pour anything from up high, it frothes when it lands in the container. Doubt it? Try pouring a glass of milk from 2-3 ft. above the cup.....

The Fumoto valve is great. I've never had a problem using it in 4 cars combined milage 500,000+.

It is so convenient for changes. Makes for quick work....just turn the valve....the design is simple and reliable...after all it's Japanese so you'll rest assured.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
So, this fumoto valve. I guess I'm the last person to hear of it. Does it work well, drain completely, no leaks, etc.? Thinking of ordering one.

No it does not drain COMPLETELY and clearance can be an issue on some applications.

Especially in the winter there may be some moisture in the oil, and that will increase the frothing if the oil is agitated. Typical winter stuff.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
after all it's Japanese so you'll rest assured.

And if it was American this wouldn't be the case?

Originally Posted By: lovcom
The Fumoto valve is great. I've never had a problem using it in 4 cars combined milage 500,000+.

It is so convenient for changes. Makes for quick work....just turn the valve....the design is simple and reliable...after all it's Japanese so you'll rest assured.
I agree. This is the third vehicle I've had Fumoto valves on. Makes for a much cleaner oil change. Not like pulling the plug, hope the pan is in the right place, getting a hand full of hot oil and trying to keep the plug from ending up in the bottom of the pan. You can control the flow and where it goes. Never noticed the frothing in previous oil changes on this vehicle or others. The pan I used had been used to catch draining gasoline. Even though it was wiped out with a clean rag there may have been some reside left behind. Probably nothing to worry about, just thought it was unuaual and wanted some other opinions. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back