Honda MTF vs Motorcraft FML-XT-11-QDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some advice here. Transmission in question is the Getrag 6 speed in the 2011 Ford Mustang.
The Motorcraft fluid is nearly $30 a quart. I can get Honda MTF for $7 or less.

However my main worry is some kind of damage that would void my warranty. I don't see any incompatibility issue from these numbers, but maybe you can?

I'm reposting INDYMAC's data on the Honda fluid since I don't have a report myself, originally posted here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1971039&page=1

Compare:
HONDA MTF

Aluminum 0
Chromium 0
Iron 0
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Moly 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 0
Silicon 5
Sodium 0
Calcium 3042
Magnesium 0
Phosphorus 1168
Zinc 1329
Barium 0

SUS visc at 210F 50.8
cSt visc at 100C 7.5
Flashpoint 380F
Water 0%
Insolubles 0%
TAN 3.7

Motorcraft FML-XT-11-QDC
AS PER MY SAMPLE SENT TO BLACKSTONE

Aluminum 0
Chromium 0
Iron 0
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 4
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 4
Silicon 10
Sodium 8
Calcium 4342
Magnesium 30
Phosphorus 1492
Zinc 1308
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 46.8
cSt Viscosity @100C 6.28
Flashpoint in F 405

I would stick with Motorcraft as there are no approved replacements. My 2012 Mustang GT shifts just fine and Ive driven in 25 degree weather with no problems shifting.

Did your car come from the factory with the QDC fluid or did you get it changed under the "cold shift problem" TSB that came out?

See, I have one of the first 2011's that actually shipped from the factory with the Motorcraft MTF, which is a 80w/90 fluid. It never downshifted properly and was very difficult to shift cold.

However, I can't get the car to act up when the dealership looks at it so I can't get the fluid swap for free as per the Ford TSB.

Last edited:
Well, I just came back from a trip around town. The MC fluid was terribly rough at first but smoothed out. I'm not sure if that's because it was so cold (23F) or because I just changed it. By the time I got home the shifting was nearly as good as the Honda fluid and head and shoulders above the factory fill.

I saved the Honda fluid, it was run for a few thousand miles, and maybe I'll send it off for analysis. The shift quality was literally butter smooth on the Honda fluid on all but the coldest mornings. But I'm worried about some kind of incompatibility on the organics. I've been told that this tranny uses paper blocker rings instead of carbon.

I replaced the FF in my 2012 Mustang with Redline MTL. After reading this forum for a while and trying to digest as much as I could, I found that the Redline MTL was in between the FF and QDC in viscosity. Mine has shifted fine before and after, no difference.

I changed it , as I do on all my manual trans and rear gears, after a short run( maybe initial 5000mi) to clean out the wear in [censored].

Where does the Honda fluid fit in terms of viscosity?

I tried MTL and didnt like it. It felt "sticky" when hot.

The Honda fluid is only slightly heavier than the light ford fluid. The specific viscocities are listed in my charts above.

I don't remember what the viscosity of MTL is, but it's heavier than the Honda MTF.

Last edited:
Here are some more Kv at 100C and TAN #'s taken from VOA's:

Honda MTF II 7.5 cSt/3.7 TAN
Amsoil MTF 9.3/2.38
BG Synchroshift 8.3/2.95
BMW MTF-LT2 7.5/0.68
BMW MTF-LT3 6.1/0.70
Elf Tranself TRJ 8.6/3.68
Ford Synthetic MTF 14.5/3.33
GMSM non-FM 9.2/3.94
Redline MTL 10.1/5.42

That's what I'm afraid of.

Drove a bunch of errands today. Had a slight 1-2 shift "nibble" out of the driveway but after warmed I was shifting with two fingers.

Guess I'll leave the ford stuff in for now. Hopefully I won't get the "gear whine" I've heard about after switching to the light stuff.

I also saw a rumor on another forum that there might be yet another transmission TSB released Tuesday for these cars. Here's hoping. I love my car, but it's no fun when your shifter feels like stirring coal.

Funster, just to clear things a bit. A little nibble when cold is NOT the same as shifting a bucket of coal. Mine has a little nibble here and there when cold, it is normal. I think every manual tranny I have ever driven has that. Don't try to fix the things that are normal....you can't.

I would be more concerned about the fluid being too thin and having gear whine instead. That said, it is probably fine with what you have in there now.

Originally Posted By: SwampDweller
Funster, just to clear things a bit. A little nibble when cold is NOT the same as shifting a bucket of coal. Mine has a little nibble here and there when cold, it is normal. I think every manual tranny I have ever driven has that. Don't try to fix the things that are normal....you can't.

I would be more concerned about the fluid being too thin and having gear whine instead. That said, it is probably fine with what you have in there now.

Good advice. The coal comment was more about the factory fill of QS. Below 50F you flat couldn't change gears.

As far as being too thin, thats one of the points of my post. The QDC is an approved Ford fix for the bad shifting, but it's awfully thin.

I would stick with the Ford MT fluid for at least 500 miles. It takes about that many miles for a new fill to get into the synchro assembly.

The AW package is fine.

Some people have done well with a 50/50 mix of the Redline MTL 70W80 and Dexron VI.

Originally Posted By: zmelli
The Honda is designed for use with the carbon synchronizers.
But it is still recommended for their cars that have yellow metal synchros.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would stick with the Ford MT fluid for at least 500 miles. It takes about that many miles for a new fill to get into the synchro assembly.

The AW package is fine.

Some people have done well with a 50/50 mix of the Redline MTL 70W80 and Dexron VI.

Will do. Thanks for stopping by!

Every day the shifting feel is worse with the QDC fluid. Notchy cold or hot. Dropped it and put the Honda MTF I saved back in. Found a few brass flakes in the QDC.

It took 50 miles or so but the shifting, with the Honda fluid, has returned to being extraordinarily smooth.

There's something not showing up in these blackstone reports that must make it work so well.

After all, it can't be wrong if it feels so right.

the ford syn fluid is a 75w90 with 14> cst

the honda fluid is

did I read that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back