Supertech Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are willing to trust pricepoint walmart store brand junk.

Its probably OK, but just OK.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I run mercon v that is the Supertech brand. I haven't had a bad experience with it. Just don't do long intervals and it is fine.

your comment is an understated commnt of lack of trust in the product. If you had full faith, the comment to not do long intervals would not have been stated.

Its not Amsoil or Redline. Either which I would place at least 50,000 miles on without hesitation.
I guess if one does a drain and fill of the pan every 20-30,000 miles that means the product is untrustworthy. Even when no issue is found either mechanically or with the fluid.
that's news to me.

I'd not be the least bit concerned, it's licensed so there's not likely a hill of beans worth of difference. I've not used the DEXVI but I've used a lot of the ATF+4, I can't tell the difference and neither can my vehicles that I've noticed anyway. I don't consider it "cheaper", just a better buy.

Thanks for the replies. I have done some more research. Most people echo your replies. One comment that comes up a lot is that Dex VI is a minimum and easy spec to meet. ST meets the minimum whereas name brands exceed the min spec with superior additives packages. I have no way of confirming that assertion.

Ignore the negativity about supertech, I service 3 work trucks that have always used supertech oil and they have all gone 300k plus hard miles from multiple drivers. You cant tell me the PU or any other oil could have gone longer than that. Supertech is a great economical choice for products.

You should all be aware that up to now all licenced DEXRON-VI atfs contain the exact same additives in the same specified ratios (it's part of the specification)and that is policed by GM.

I've never used supertech fluids for complete oil changes or trans fluid changes. But, I do have bottles of supertech fluids for top off. Trans, engine oil, power steering fluid. In a pinch I wouldnt have a problem running a oil chagne with the stuff.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
You should all be aware that up to now all licenced DEXRON-VI atfs contain the exact same additives in the same specified ratios (it's part of the specification)and that is policed by GM.

Is that subject to change? What about basestock fluid quality?

Yep, same as the "ATF+4" fluid...it's trademarked/branded by Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge......and so not just any Joe TransFluid Co. can put "ATF+4" on their label......without the approval of Chrysler Group, LLC......

http://www.centerforqa.com/ addresses ATF+4 in particular...which has me kind of chuckling....what a domain to register.....all for a nameplate for ATF+4 branding...? Really.? haa.....

But yea, back to the topic.....I'm sure DexVI has similar "licensing".....they can't "brand" a product as such, unless they have permission.....

Which is strange, cause I use the amsoil fluid guide as well as the Royal Purple, and Redline sites.....and those sites seem to get away with it by saying "Meets ATF+4" or some such
wink.gif

They are almost all group IIIs, anything less won't meet the spec requirements

Right but even amongst basestock manufacturers, some may be better than others.

As this is a price point lube, the question is what has given? Its not a huge seller, has little shelf space, so likely doesn't have economies of scale on its side.

So what has given?

Or can we truly say that no name price point manufactured dex vi is the absolute same quality and performance across its lifecycle as a fluid from pennzoil or valvoline, for example?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

As this is a price point lube, the question is what has given? Its not a huge seller, has little shelf space, so likely doesn't have economies of scale on its side.

So what has given?

Or can we truly say that no name price point manufactured dex vi is the absolute same quality and performance across its lifecycle as a fluid from pennzoil or valvoline, for example?
If it's approved it certainly meets or exceed GM's stringent specs. I would bet the difference in any real world performance between Supertech and any other approved fluid is unnoticeable/negligible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

So what has given?

Try reading SAE 2005-01-3859 by Jack Zakarian if you want to know how close Group IIs are to one another. Since that was written they are even closer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back