Honda DOT3 Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
OM for 2007 Acura TSX says to use ONLY Honda Heavy Duty DOT3 brake fluid. It says you can use non-Honda DOT3 on a temporary basis but should flush and replace with Honda asap. OM warns that non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and premature failure of brake system. Is this bunk?

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Here is a previous discussion:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2055485

Thanks, I missed that thread all together. As someone else suggested, the Toyota recall is suspicious. Toyota first found out about the problem in 2006 and recalled 2005-2007 models. Really, how many 2005/2006 models had master cylinders topped-up with non-Toyota BF and/or had their systems flushed with non-Toyota BF. This doesn't pass the laugh test. I had owned nothing but Lexus/Toyota cars since 1973 when we bought an Acura MDX in 2010. I always used Toyota coolant and ATF but used name-brand aftermarket fluids elsewhere. This Acura/Honda fluid situation is bizarre and I am still trying to figure it out. For example, is Honda Dual Pump II fluid the same as Acura Dual Pump fluid?

Last edited:
Well, I'll tell you what!
I've had many Honda's and have never used their Brake Fluid. I have used anything but their fluid.

P/S, different story! Auto tranny, choose wisely! Brake fluid, maybe today! IDK!

Seems to me that if there is such extreme sensitivity as to mess up seals and whatnot, that they should NOT be calling it DOT 3, and rather call it some other part number that will not match and require a custom buy.

Crazy really.

The DOT 3 standard has ben around quite a while. How do they call it Dot 3 and then make it brand specific? The DOT rating is SUPPOSED to be for universal use.

I have the same issue and called 8 Honda dealers:

5 dealers said they use any DOT 3 fluid
2 dealers said they use ONLY Honda DOT 3 fluid
1 dealer said they use both.

The service manager at the dealer where I bought my Honda said use any DOT3 while the parts manager said "only Honda fluid will work". Which is just another reason to hate dealerships.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I have the same issue and called 8 Honda dealers:

5 dealers said they use any DOT 3 fluid
2 dealers said they use ONLY Honda DOT 3 fluid
1 dealer said they use both.

The service manager at the dealer where I bought my Honda said use any DOT3 while the parts manager said "only Honda fluid will work". Which is just another reason to hate dealerships.

Yeah, I always have a great big laugh when someone suggests talking with your dealer to get the answer to any technical question. I wish I had a recording of the time I talked with Acura and asked them for the lug nut torque spec. Heck, just try to find out the p/n for front brakes on a 2007 TSX. That's good for a whole lot of fun.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The DOT 3 standard has ben around quite a while. How do they call it Dot 3 and then make it brand specific? The DOT rating is SUPPOSED to be for universal use.
The DOT specs are for performance, not for chemical make up (except DOT5 is silicone and DOT3,4, & 5.1 aren't). I suspect that Honda requirement is just marketing hype, but there just might be a difference.

I've owned/maintained 3 Hondas (currently 2), and never been concerned about using "Honda" Dot3 BF. As said, Dot 3 is a spec that the BF fluid is supposed to meet to be called Dot 3. It either does or it doesn't. So yeah, bunk imo.

Actually I've been using a DOT 4 fluid in my Hondas, which meets a higher spec than Dot 3.

I've have used Z-1 ATF, because of Honda's less than stellar AT rep. Now with my 07 3.0L Accord out of warranty and Z-1 superseded, I'm going to go with Maxlife ATF for the next tranny D&F.

And I've used the less expensive Bardahl 'Made for Hondas' PSF.

So use DOT3 or DOT4 BF and don't sweat the Honda stuff.

Forget the Honda brake fluid, get some Amsoil Series 500 goodness or some of the crazy good products like Motul or Super Blue. Problem solved. Overkill it!
grin2.gif

kidding. :p

sayjac, which brand of DOT 4 have you used?

^^^^ Just used readily available Prestone DOT4. And I suppose if the OP is concerned about using just any DOT3 rather than Honda branded, then using DOT4 make good sense imo.

^haha, I agree.

Got some Valvoline Dot3/4 stuff. Still now sure if it's the same as the 'SynPower' Valvoline DOT 4 brake fluid? Is there a difference?

I have heard that DOT4 low viscosity was created to make ABS and traction control perform better, so I have started using it. That in mind, I have not had to use ABS on any of the cars I used it in.

http://pentosin.com/shop_produkt.php?c=214,227&pid=692&vid=

It gets worse. My 2010 MDX Owner's Manual gives the same dire warning (as my niece's TSX). However, the MC cap says to use Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid. No warning about temporary use only.

BUT, the cap on the PS says to use Honda PS fluid only.

So, does the info on the MC cap trump the statements in the OM?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back