Spinning bikes / stationary bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know this section is for bicycle questions but I thought someone out there who reads this section must have a spinning bike or stationary bike. Background info - My wife and I are in our early 60's and late last summer bought new bikes Trek 7300. Really enjoyed riding them and before the cold and ice of winter hit I was commuting to work about 3 days a week. Now with winter here we would like to get a stationary bike or a spinning bike. Did not realize how many spinning bikes there are or stationary bikes. I've talked with several sales people and almost everyone has pushed us toward a spinning bike because it would be more like riding a bike. The one I'm leaning towards is the Lemond Sport which a local bike shop has on sale for $899 and this would be delivered and set up in your home. The only draw back would be a lack of electronic's for this model like heart rate, distance etc... We are looking at it for a good work out and not like we are training for the Tour De France. Are there any other good quality spinning bikes out there for less? Additional back ground info my wife is 5'2 and I'm 6'3 and this bike would probably fit both our needs as far as adjustment. Thanks in advance for any info.

Thought about that. But limited space in the basement, and the wife wouldn't approve of the bikes there.

Trainer barely takes up more space than a bike--and mind you, that's adding just a hair more space to the space you already take up with the bike. [Assuming you don't store in the garage or the shed.] OTOH, it does put more wear/tear onto your bike (I'll probably replace my chain and cassette before riding season).

Sorry I can't be of help--I just use a magnetic trainer, as I read the fan based ones were loud.

A trainer would be good but we would be dealing with two bikes and one trainer and it would just be a pain moving the bikes around. The bikes are stored in the garage for the winter.

I spin at the local Y 2 or 3 times a week.

We use Keiser M3's. http://mseries.keiser.com/m3.html

They seem to hold up well to the usage there. They are used by at least two classes a day 45-60 minutes/class.

Rarely do I see one out of service.

However, I do agree that a stand is probably more cost effective and if you can remove the front wheel, it takes up no more room than a spinning bike.

I think the Keiser M3 goes for about $1700/each, so it's a bit spendy.

Originally Posted By: kwijibo
OK, I know this section is for bicycle questions but I thought someone out there who reads this section must have a spinning bike or stationary bike. Background info - My wife and I are in our early 60's and late last summer bought new bikes Trek 7300. Really enjoyed riding them and before the cold and ice of winter hit I was commuting to work about 3 days a week. Now with winter here we would like to get a stationary bike or a spinning bike. Did not realize how many spinning bikes there are or stationary bikes. I've talked with several sales people and almost everyone has pushed us toward a spinning bike because it would be more like riding a bike. The one I'm leaning towards is the Lemond Sport which a local bike shop has on sale for $899 and this would be delivered and set up in your home. The only draw back would be a lack of electronic's for this model like heart rate, distance etc... We are looking at it for a good work out and not like we are training for the Tour De France. Are there any other good quality spinning bikes out there for less? Additional back ground info my wife is 5'2 and I'm 6'3 and this bike would probably fit both our needs as far as adjustment. Thanks in advance for any info.

One or even two trainers and two bikes are going to be much easier to store and to move around than a stationary spinning bike. A bike on a trainer isn't going to take up much, if any, more room than a spinning bike.

Our basement if finished and the exercise room is maybe 8 by 10. It already has a treadmill, small weight bench and a set of dumbbells in it. We thought a spinning bike would be easier to move around. A trainer for a bike would be less expensive but a pain moving bikes around to fit on the trainer. I stopped at a local bike and fitness store and they have an Xterra MB880 spin cycle which was of gym quality. I rode it and liked it. Also noticed Costco carries the same bike for less and they have a excellent return policy if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back