2012 Toyota Corolla oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Buick92
I am convinced that toyota must know what's safe for there engines.
Toyota only need it to remain servicable for 60 - 100K miles. They are NOT concerened about elevated wear.

This is absolutely true
thumbsup2.gif

Which is why it is well known that they fail at 100k.

Who said anything about failure to prompt your smart remarks? Do you even own a Toyota? I have 4 and the dealers are only worried about hitting 60,000 miles and then you are on your own. That was the point. All of my Toyotas have a 5k recommendation. Do as you wish, But please display your ignorance elsewhere.

Last edited:
Plenty of extended >5K intervals done on toyotas with good UOAs. I've done a number of 10K on my !echo!.

Recommending 1/2 the mfg recommended interval does the OP a disservice.

Last edited:
Simple. Hear you and you are right on. But this is break in oil. Sheared down and full of shiznit at 5k. After a couple OC he should be good to go 7-10k. My main caution and lessoned learned is ILSAC oil doesnt do well for breakin. Id seek out the mega moly FF oil.

Toyota only need it to remain servicable for 60 - 100K miles. They are NOT concerened about elevated wear.

This is absolutely true
thumbsup2.gif

Which is why it is well known that they fail at 100k.

Who said anything about failure to prompt your smart remarks? Do you even own a Toyota? I have 4 and the dealers are only worried about hitting 60,000 miles and then you are on your own. That was the point. All of my Toyotas have a 5k recommendation. Do as you wish, But please display your ignorance elsewhere.

This was triggered by the blind agreement to the statement by Arco that they only need it to remain serviceable for 60-100k. When something is no longer serviceable, it will need to be rebuilt. Toyota doesn't have a reputation for needing rebuilds after such a short service duration.

I have owned many Toyotas, including a Hilux circa 1982 with indeterminate mileage that still yielded amazing mileage with good compression.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

LOL, yeah Toyotas are known to only last 4-5 years and die shortly after hitting 100k.
50.gif

Who said anything about dying? "Elevated" wear may be 250K engine service life vs 300K.

Arco- as noted above, I made the connection based upon your original remark. Your remark here is within the realm of reasonable belief. My apologies for taking your original step towards hyperbole and completing it.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I believe we'll see some 50k OCI's within ten years.

With the right filters that's very doable.

Or if you had a LNG motor, 50k is probably about right.

... My apologies for taking your original step towards hyperbole and completing it.
N.P,Like your humor and joust. I'm a touch sensitive as my wifes 05 "toyota serviced" rav 4, which started with a spectacularly well running engine, wore out the cams at 55-60K beyond service limits and I was quoted many thousands of dollars to replace cams and adjust the valve lash since the complete front timing cover and top of the motor (VVT,TC, VC, Cam box, cams, tappets) has to be torn down. This started my whole ILSAC low saps oil is N.G. rant which continues today. Now my Honda and Subaru have roller cams. The Honda has screw and jam lash adjustment.

Just looking at the service schedule for the ZRE152 Corolla here at work & Toyota NZ list 15,000km (9320mi) or 1yr intervals. It does say in the small print if the vehicle is subject to continuous high speed &/or operating fully loaded or towing a trailer then half the service intervals.
As for a grade it just lists 0w-20 upto 5w-30 SL,SM or ILSAC.

Aplologies if they are due.

My Toyotas have Dual VVT and have rollerized valvetrains.

I've been very busy and do not keep up with all engine designs as I used to. If the Corrola does indeed have flat bucket type lifters I would modify my recomendation to include UOA's to confirm adequate wear.
The reason being that they changed the oil grade and the OIl change interval without apparent mechanical changes. I am speaking only theoretically here as I have not been keeping up with engine updates. But just because an engine as the same nominclature(1GRFE in my case) as before does not mean major changes were not done to the internals. THe 1GRFE started as a Flat bucket type(and still is in the Tacoma I belive) while in the 2010 and later 4 runner and FJ cruiser it is upgraded to a rollerized valvetrain with dual VVT)

Best of luck to everyone in your automotive adventures!

toyota does know their engines
engines and oils are different than they were 20 years ago its ok to leave the oil in for 1 year i do in all my engines and they all run perfect

Well, lets say the oil does. The car did get some unaided -25c starts for a 1/2 a week

Then why aren't the rest of us having issues?

I have a feeling that the fuel quality that you use is the most likely killer from what you have mentioned in other threads. Perhaps we can devote a whole new thread to "autoanalyze" (vs. psychoanalyze). ARCOs car use and figure out why they all kill themselves.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Well, lets say the oil does. The car did get some unaided -25c starts for a 1/2 a week

Then why aren't the rest of us having issues?

There was no winter around here, including NH

Perhaps we can devote a whole new thread to "autoanalyze" (vs. psychoanalyze). ARCOs car use and figure out why they all kill themselves.

Poor Arco. If the oil companies and car manufacturers implemented the quality control on gas, oil, and vehicles necessary to get Arco to a normal vehicle lifespan, gas would be $15 a gallon, oil would be $20 a quart, and a Civic or Focus would go for $100,000.
wink.gif

I ran the factory fill on my Mercedes to 13,000 mile (back a couple years ago when I actually drove it regularly). I really regret doing that. I should have changed the oil at about 1/2 that mark on my own only due to the break in bits.

The short runs I do now show great results in UOA. Now, I think it could do the 13k interval with a good oil, but it just worries me about doing it on factory fill.

Now, mind you, Mercedes holds 8.5 quarts of oil, so that probably helped the factory fill go so long.

To the point, I'm sure there isn't too much damage that would happen running factory fill to 10,000 miles. Nevertheless, I would personally change it myself at around 5,000 miles or 6 months, just for the bonus peace of mind. It may be pure waste, but it's my oil obsession now. ha.

I always change my new Toyota engines at 1000 miles and run one 4000 interval of Mobil 5000 conventional. Then switch to any off the shelf synthetic and change every 5000 miles. My engines always go over 200,000 miles and never burn any oil. No way I'll do 10,000 miles.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back