17.5 B&S won't run without choke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2005 B&S on a Murray riding lawn mower that will not run unless the choke is on. If you flip the choke off it will surge for a few seconds and die. I tried cleaning out the carb and that seemed to help temporarily, then it began again so I replaced the carb and the spark plug. Still doing the same thing. The fuel filter is also new. Any ideas what else this could be?

One of the jets is still dirty. You'll have to clean it again, then put some SeaFoam in the gas. Be sure that the SeaFoam gets into the carb.
Most readily available carb cleaners are pretty weak these days.

He's REPLACED the carb...

You have the classic sign of a fuel starvation problem, any chance the intake the carb is bolted to is loose or cracked???

Are you familiar with the proceedure to adjust the needle for the main jet as well as the idle jet? This works wonders.FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: TFB1
He's REPLACED the carb...

You have the classic sign of a fuel starvation problem, any chance the intake the carb is bolted to is loose or cracked???

Then his replaced carb isn't adjusted right. Loosen the low speed jet 1/2 a turn and see how it runs.

Will it run properly without the gas cap off? I have a 2005 B&S 17.5 HP tractor that had a clogged gas cap vent. Would run properly with the cap off...replaced the cap and everything is good.

Last edited:
There is no adj on most carbs anymore and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this one doesn't either..

That being said I would remove the F/F and check for fuel flow BEFORE the filter.. Your F/Line itself could be bad coming from the tank, or there could be trash in the tank blocking flow... "IF" you have good flow "BEFORE" the filter then install the F/F and check flow just past that..
If your fuel is gravity fed then this will make sure your GTG to the carb..
If your unit runs a fuel pump then you will need to connect your fuel supply to the pump and disco the line at the Carb.. Turn over the engine and check your fuel flow.. IF you have good flow then the pump is good, if not then replace the pump...

BTW, is this a SINGLE or a TWIN??
If it's a SINGLE there are no "sets" of jets.. You will most likely just have a MAIN..

Another things to check is the Fuel Solenoid.. "IF" the unit has been sitting the SOLENOID may very well be stuck closed.. Be sure check for voltage to the SOLENOID, using a Test light and turn the key on and touch the wire to the solenoid..
If you have voltage your GTG there but could still have a stuck plunger in the solenoid..
The solenoid is easy to clean so don't panic, carefully pull it apart, clean with brake wash or deap creap and reasemble.. Plug it in turn on the key and listen for the "CLICK" ofthe solenoid. There is a SPRING in there so be careful of that..

I have a 2005 Yard Machines 21.5 Intek with the same trouble. Partial choke is nessesary to smooth out the rough running. R&R the pump,filter rebuilt the carb twice.

During the 2nd carb kit I decided to look over the plastic intake and found the thing leaked like a sive around the entire plastic welded 2 piece seam.
100_2456-1.jpg

Epoxy solved the problem
100_2461.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back