Ford Fusion 6 speed auto drain and fill (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
did the drain and fill on the '07 Fusion AWD V6 today. This vehicle has the Aisin Warner F21 6 speed automatic. The drain plug was supposed to be a 10mm hex according to many but it isn't. I used a T-55 Torx socket to get mine off when the 10mm hex was too big. Here is where it drains from:
DCP_1665.jpg

Here is the plug:
DCP_1666.jpg

I drained into a Sterilite 1 gallon pitcher that was marked at the quart lines:
DCP_1667.jpg

Old fluid:
DCP_1668.jpg

drained and wiped clean:
DCP_1669.jpg

After 3 qts and a 10oz bottle of Lubegard Red it still needed a tad.
DCP_1670.jpg

where you need to fill it:
DCP_1671.jpg

what I used:
DCP_1672.jpg

The drain plug has a magnet imbedded in the end of it and it was covered in a grey paste like substance not unlike what people have posted stuck to Magnefine magnets. There were no shavings and only very minor debris in the old fluid. I haven't noticed any real shift quality difference in the 10 miles I have driven since doing this. Then again I have really only drove the car about 75 miles myself since we got it last week.

I paid $9.99 for the Lubegard at O'Reilly. I paid $4.30 a quart for the T-IV at the Toyota dealership in town. Next time I will only need three quarts to do this as the last quart is nearly full still. I will probably do it again this coming Fall or next Spring ('13).

thumbsup2.gif

I noticed an improvement in shift quality when I switched from Toyota T-IV to Valvoline Max-Life multi ATF.

Let us know if the LG red bottle shows improvement.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Why add Lubegard?

for added protection I guess. People have been raving about it on here lately so why not? I may add a Magnefine this spring if I find an easy spot to install it on the return line.

The car has 66985. I don't think it has been touched before this. We got the car last week with 66650 on it.

If you can borrow a fluid extractor to siphon ATF via the dipstick tube on the next change, then remove the drain plug to see how much fluid drain out.

The fluid extractor(FE) do very well for some transmission, only few ounces drained from the plug after using FE. It's so easy to use and no mess.

Its an Aisin Warner transmission that requires the JWS3309 spec (T-IV). AW makes lot of transmissions for Toyota which requires the same ATF. Ford has the same fluid in their own bottles but probably more expensive than T-IV.

Last edited:
Ah, got it thanks!

Hey, if he changed his engine oil to Toyota 0W-20, would the car have an identity crisis?

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Ah, got it thanks!

Hey, if he changed his engine oil to Toyota 0W-20, would the car have an identity crisis?

lol.gif
Nope! He'd have to use Mazda 5W20! The Fusion's 3.0 is more like the Mazda MZI than the Duratec 30.

Thanks for the pics. I will be doing that soon. The Ford Branded ATF is around the 8 dollar mark from a dealer IIRC.

Toyota tranny fluid? Wouldn't this take Mercon V?
No worries, LOTS of people make this assumption...

The last time I bought T-IV for my niece's Fusion, the Toyota parts counterman asked me what vehicle I was putting it in. I assumed he wanted to be sure it wasn't for a car that needed WS. When I told him it was going in a Ford, the look on his face was worth it.
shocked2.gif
He must have thought I was a idjit...I explained it to him, but he didn't look convinced.
grin2.gif

I called the Ford dealer about price on trans fluid for my moms 09 V6 Fusion and the parts guy actually asked for the vin number so he could sell me the correct fluid. I was surprised because most dont care and he said that not all Fusions have the same auto trans.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
I called the Ford dealer about price on trans fluid for my moms 09 V6 Fusion and the parts guy actually asked for the vin number so he could sell me the correct fluid. I was surprised because most dont care and he said that not all Fusions have the same auto trans.

Good parts person you have there. The 4cyl models use the FNR5 trans which uses FNR5 fluid. Mazda calls that fluid MV, not to be confused with Mercon V.

You would be amazed at how many people call asking for parts for a vehicle and when we get the VIN its for a completely different year and model.

Ah, got it thanks!

My mother's car is a Jeep, but a Motorcraft FL400 filter is a perfect match, so I use one, because it is a good filter for the price.

Numerous people also used the Motorcraft 5w20 in various cars that take any 5w20 because the price is good.

If you really want to read about a Ford with an identity crisis, read about the Mercury Villager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back