A TV Story- oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sept. 1994- bought Mom a new TV, Magnavox 27" w/stereo sound & Pic-In-Pic. CRT, of course, but pretty spiffy for '94. All went well until...

~April Fool's Day, 2009- after more than 14 years of service, the M-Vox died. Mom wanted to keep her TV cabinet(complete w/VCR shelf!) that she bought at a local furniture store circa 1995. No modern flat screens need apply, size restricts to ~27" CRT tv. She didn't want a used TV, so I went looking through *Very* slim offerings, got her a 27" CRT from Sears(Sansui brand, mfg by Orion). It fit her cabinet, had both analog and digital tuner, & she was happy with it. All went well enough until...

Mid October 2011- the alleged Sansui developed near-horizontal lines across the top 4-5 inches of the screen- still watchable, but irritating. They went away after warmup at first, by mid Dec were permanent. New-set warranty was 90 days, even with credit card extension it was long gone after a mere 2 1/2 years.

Finally, in mid-Jan, talked her into letting me look for a good used 27" CRT TV. By then all the Christmas cast-offs seemed to be gone here, I'vv been looking for a month.

Connected on a CraigsList ad Friday night($20, 27" Sylvania, included original remote), combined trip to get it with other stuff, hooked it up Sat night. After looking up the manual online, got channels dialed in(analog cable) & everything going, Mom was happy.

I was getting the old set ready to offer to a charity store & unstapled all the 2009 purchase papers from inside its manual- and guess what I found? Mom had bought a Sears extended warranty for it, good until sometime in April 2012!
33.gif
crazy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I'll call tomorrow & start the ball rolling on a replacement under warranty, gotta hold 'em to it for the junky TV. But the moral of the story- when your TV dies, be sure you look through *All* the papers you have for it, no telling what you might find!
grin2.gif

Awesome.

Update the board on what Sears eventually does. I'm curious on how they will replace an obsolescent (not obsolete!) product. We still have our 1998 32" Phillips/Magnavox, which of course everyone in the house wants replaced except me, now that's entertainment!

The Sansui/Orion that went bad was mfg August 2008, the Sylvania that works perfectly mfg June 2004.

I think you're right, this may get interesting. Sears list no CRT TVs on their site now. Price-wise, I'd guess somthing like a 27 or 32 inch flat-panel is gonna be it. Hmm- do any of these modern TVs have an analog tuner?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found on those so called warrantys they just refund you the purchase price. From the warranty company. No new TV.
Ken

Check your local yellow pages...they more than likely will send out a "mom and pop" TV repair tech to the house and have the TV repaired....just be sure to have all paperwork handy......BTW, be careful on your wording.....Your MOM purchased the TV/warranty...Correct? So......you may want to have her make the call/request so they can't tell you, oh we don't transfer warranties....etc..etc...

Bottom line, you got the warranty, USE it....I work in retail, and hear sooooo often about people that simply "forget" about purchasing these warranties......Then when they need to use them, forget to use them, cause they forgot they purchased them :p As your mother did....I wish I could pull up some bony statistic out of thin air of money wasted on extended warranties that don't get used :p But I'm sure there's some statistic SOMEWHERE....haha.

I have a 20" RCA CRT in my bedroom manufactured in December 1996. It was even made in Bloomfield, Indiana!

Still runs great...although it does make some high pitched noises when it hasn't been turned on in a while until it warms up.

After making a long round of phone calls today, this has been enough trouble already that I'll *Never* buy anything from Sears again. I have to take the TV to a Sears Service drop-off point, either 25 miles away(where I can do nothing else) or 30 miles away(where I bought it, & can accomplish a few other things). No home service call, period. Phone work at Sears 800 service # or store where purchased was all recordings, or someone who barely spoke English. No interest in the extended protection agreement certificate number- which strikes me as a very bad thing. The one real English-speaking person I did get to speak to(at the 25-mile place, a small Sears Hometown? store) warned me that any cash refund was *Extremely* unlikely. Sears Website worse than no help at all- and don't tell the recording "Television" or it will ask questions about your lawn edger!

If ever any big old-line business deserved to go under..... well, draw your own conclusion. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Update: today, Fri, Mar 2:
Sears called this morning & said they couldn't fix the (less than 3 yrs old) 27" CRT TV. Said they will replace it with a new 32" flat-panel TV. Dunno what brand, but she did say it was priced at $329. (Just my luck it'll be a Coby or something! Though on Sears site just now, the only 32" sets at $329 I saw were an RCA, a Philips, & a coupla Toshibas.)

Now waiting on a card/certificate/something to arrive via Post Office. Then we'll make the trip to Sears to get the new TV. Will post again when all this is finished.

CH- thanks for the vote! I suspect I'll have no choice at all, but so far everything's guesswork- the card from Sears *still* hasn't arrived. I suspect they didn't mail it till Monday.
21.gif
Still twiddlin' my thumbs & waitin'...
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
- the card from Sears *still* hasn't arrived. I suspect they didn't mail it till Monday.
21.gif
Still twiddlin' my thumbs & waitin'...
mad.gif

No big surprise, but when companies are on the ropes they tend to get very slow with refund/replacement issues. Had that same problem with Borders Books a couple of years before they finally went belly-up. "No, we can't just send you the right books in exchange, you have to order from scratch, then if you're lucky we'll return the original purchase price, someday....."

Another vote for Toshiba! Now ahead of all other brands by 2 to 0.

Still no mail from Sears- I'm beginning to thnk they haven't even mailed it yet(I mailed a small package from NE Tx to Indiana, sent it Tuesday afternoon plain 1st class mail- it arrived in Indiana Thursday!)

According to the Sears website, there are only 2 models in stock at the Longview, TX store that look like they might be used for this warranty replacement.

1. 32" RCA with a built-in DVD player, model 32LA30RQD, reg price $329.99, now on sale for $329.88
grin2.gif
. May be a discontinued model.

2. 32" Panasonic, normal ~$369, on sale for $319, also listed as in stock.

Toshiba, Philips, Magnavox & others not in stock. Between the two listed in-stock above I'd pick Panasonic, if given a choice. If.

They'll probably drag it out for another week or two or more.
mad.gif

panasonic is probably better than the RCA, If you dont like it.. I'm sure you can craigslist it for 200+$ no matter what.
since you already replaced it with a used crt.

I would have posted sooner, but our cable TV & Internet went out in the storm Sunday morning- got Cable TV back Mon evening, Inet back today about noon.

The Great, Really-Tiresome-By-Now TV Story continues:

Finally got mail from Sears on Monday, 3/12. It's an orange post card, with an authorization # and a $ amount($329.88) on back.

I went to Sears today, and could have brought home a TV set, probably should have just gotten the $300-on-sale Panasonic(*those* were in stock!) & been done with it. But what I learned made me think I should do some more research.

How It Works:
It's a non-transferable warranty credit, useable by me (or Mom) only, to be applied to *One* television set of the customer's choice. Can't be sold or traded like a gift card.

If the TV is LESS than $329.88: You cannot get $ or credit back by getting a cheaper TV set. You cannot add small items- say, a cable or two- to make up any $ difference. If a TV is on sale, the sale price applies. Example: If you get the normal-price $369.99, now-on-sale-for 299.99 Panasonic, it rings up at $299.99, you can't add a cable to make up part of the price difference, *and* your $329.88 warranty credit is all used up.

If TV is MORE than $329.88, you make up the difference. Example: They had a Panasonic 42" Plasma on sale for $449.xx. For the warranty credit + $120 out-of pocket(+ tax, of course), I could have bought it.

Too bad- it's an opportunity to get something bigger & better, already on sale- for another $330 off. But after explaining to Mom just now, she's adamant that whatever we get should fit her cabinet. I can remove the doors- which will allow a 32" flat panel, nothing bigger I think- but that's all.

I'll do a bit more research on what they have in larger sets. Will probably go back in a few days and wind up with the 32" Panasonic though. It's only real drawback, IMO: it has no YWR RCA input set, so will need to get HDMI & RGB+RW cables for it. (they had one 32" Toshiba model in-stock, priced at $400, but I sure can't see where it's $100 better than the Panasonic.)

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes

Too bad- it's an opportunity to get something bigger & better, already on sale- for another $330 off. But after explaining to Mom just now, she's adamant that whatever we get should fit her cabinet. I can remove the doors- which will allow a 32" flat panel, nothing bigger I think- but that's all.

I thought you already got your mom a used CRT? Maybe let her keep the CRT and get yourself a new TV of your choice (and give Mom $327 for letting you keep it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back