12 year old case of Mobil One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a long lost case of 10W-30 Mobil One in the back of my garage the other day and wondered if I can still use it?
I wanted to change the oil in my 1998 Volvo S70 (N/A) 115k miles but I am leary about the age of it.

The garage is not heated but it is dry. The bottles of oil have never been opened. I live in suburban Philly so the garage can get pretty cold during the winter (uninsulated).
Let me know what you guys think.

What is the API rating and does it match your engine's requirements for rating type and viscosity?

As long as it has been sealed, it should be free of moisture.

If you can use it, I would shake thoroughly before adding.

And let us know if you see any additive settling. Mobil usually adds enough dispersant to keep additives in suspension.

I say go for it! Your Volvo has a tough engine and should have no problem with oil that's a little older. If you're really worried about it, maybe run a slightly shorter interval.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Detail
I found a long lost case of 10W-30 Mobil One in the back of my garage the other day and wondered if I can still use it?
I wanted to change the oil in my 1998 Volvo S70 (N/A) 115k miles but I am leary about the age of it.

The garage is not heated but it is dry. The bottles of oil have never been opened. I live in suburban Philly so the garage can get pretty cold during the winter (uninsulated).

I have used fifteen year old cans of motor oil without any negative effects.The old MI is probably better than the new stuff.
Just give the cans a good shake before using.

I say you do a little experiment first.

Shake a bottle really well and pour some into a clear cup (plastic would be best, so you can just trash it afterward but whatever works for you)

Leave it sitting overnight (covered so nothing falls in) and check how it looks in the AM. If there's no settling on the bottoms, no visible separation (a tin layer of lighter oil floating on top) and the color seems fine, it should be good to go.

I'm not sure why manufacturers say it only has a shelf life of 5-6 years, other then to get you to go buy more oil. (are you really going to go trash oil that's never been opened simply because it's "expired"?

Send in a sample for VOA!
thumbsup2.gif

10 year old oil in a 14 year old car? I've done worse.

That being said I have some 1990~1994 Valvoline conventional that I've deemed only fit for the riding mower. But I don't have a car that could take that old an oil.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Detail

Mobil 1 says the oil is safe to use for up to 5 years if it was kept in a cool and dry environment.
Low and hot temps in an uninsulated garage isn't good.
When in doubt don't use it.

Shake it and use it.

First, check in the bottom of the first bottle to see if any deposit is left after shaking. If so, shake the next one more thoroughly. Have some other oil on hand to use if the Mobil One does not pass the test. But it should be fine for a 1998 engine.

Low temperatures will not damage sealed oil much at all and your hot temperatures do not come anywhere close to what we see around here.

If the car spec'd that oil back in the day use it. Shake and pour, if not save it for the lawn mower, or top up oil.

Send it all to me... I'd consider that oil to be almost new since I've used QS 1985 oil several times (wife's car) without issue.

Thanks guys for all your opinions. I think I will check the API rating like MolaKule suggested and also do Artem's experiment first. I will let you know what I find over the weekend.

Our marketing Dept says 5 years.

In reality... still good after you and I are long buried.
(So YES, your oil is still good)

Just before I retired, I tested a sample bottle that was
a little over 22 years old that we were clearing out in the lab, and it still tested EXACTLY the same when it was first processed.

I retired from the company with the Flying Donkey logo ;),

Last edited:
Agree with this statement earlier...

Shake it - pour it in a clear container and let stand overnight. If no separation of particles, it's good-to-go for the entire OCI.

The oil itself has not been exposed to air or moisture , the worry would be additive fallout. I would put a hole in the side of one bottle a 1/4 inch from the bottom and drain the oil out( catching it for use of course.). Then cut the bottom of the bottle off and see how much additive is there. If its a little then shake and use!! if there is a lot of stuff there then i would use it as top-off oil as others suggested.

O.K. guys, I did the experiment last night. Shook a sealed quart container for 3 minutes straight. Poured about 8 ounces into a clear plastic cup. It came out of the bottle a nice honey brown color. Had me thinking of a Honey Brown Ale.

After shaking vigorously, there were little aerated bubbles throughout. This morning no separation or discoloring.
Looks like I am good to go!

Thanks guys for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back