canister filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
what happens when the filter gets clogged from being left in too long.
does the oil system bypass it or does it starve the engine for oil ?

There's a spring and a plate in the bottom of the cannister that lets the oil into the pickup tube when the pressure builds.

2007 mazda 2.3L

reason i ask is that my cars "never" leak oil.

but....... this oci (which is usually 5000miles) i left the filter in thinking i would be ok with changing it every other oci.

well, at 8000 miles there was a nice oil puddle on my garage floor.

the oil looked to be seeping past the center drain plug on the oil filter canister cap.

never has this happened, and i was wondering if the filter was "used up"@ 8000 miles

i changed it out any way and it "looked" ok (not distorted or whatever)

Originally Posted By: wjli
what happens when the filter gets clogged from being left in too long.
does the oil system bypass it or does it starve the engine for oil ?

Preventing oil starvation is the sole function of the filter's bypass valve, regardless if it's located in the filter or located in the engine block.

When a filter gets clogged, the pressure differential across the media increases. If that pressure difference exceeds the setting of the bypass valve, then the valve opens and lets oil bypass the filter media.

Originally Posted By: wjli
2007 mazda 2.3L

reason i ask is that my cars "never" leak oil.

but....... this oci (which is usually 5000miles) i left the filter in thinking i would be ok with changing it every other oci.

well, at 8000 miles there was a nice oil puddle on my garage floor.

the oil looked to be seeping past the center drain plug on the oil filter canister cap.

never has this happened, and i was wondering if the filter was "used up"@ 8000 miles

i changed it out any way and it "looked" ok (not distorted or whatever)

I doubt the bypass valve has any connection with the external leakage you see. Sounds like the seal on the canister cap drain plug is leaking - is it tight enough?. Are you changing the canister seal(s) when you change the filter? Maybe the seal is degrading.

i did notice the seals were really hard when i changed them out. guess the filter may have still been good but the seals couldnt go 8000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back