will diesel fuel stain the pavement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm gonna change my fuel filter tomorrow and was wondering if diesel fuel stains the ground if I spill it. It's not like gasoline where it just evaporates off the pavement after 5-10 minute

Put a price of cardboard down...
33.gif

Just had a gallon of diesel in a red plastic gas can fall over in my truck yesterday. The drain holes in the bed allowed it to leak all over my exhaust. Quite the smoke show going down the road.
Pulled into the jobsite and about a half gallon kept pouring out of the bed, ran down the frame rails, big mess.
The next morning it was still visible on the concrete but seems to fade pretty quickly. That was a first
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
if its concrete it will stain but not damage, if the pavement is asphalt the diesel fuel will act like a solvent and cause damage

There is diesel fuel in asphalt, so would it cause any damage?

It stains. Cover the floor with cardboard, an old piece of paneling, or a tarp if you're concerned.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
if its concrete it will stain but not damage, if the pavement is asphalt the diesel fuel will act like a solvent and cause damage

There is diesel fuel in asphalt, so would it cause any damage?

you mean cutback bitumen? with kerosine?

As far as I am aware, diesel can degrade bitumen. Bitumen binds the stones to form the asphalt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back