Consensus on Lucas fuel treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
One bottle of Redline every OCI is enough to keep you clean between oil changes... I hate the thought of adding something at every fillup. I just do not believe it is needed and it can get expensive.

No doubt adding something to the fuel at every tank is not for everyone. I just like the idea of not letting the crud build up too bad in between oils changes so that when I use the SI-1, it has less to cleanup and ensures it gets everything.

I'm with you. I treat my fuel at each fill up, its become second nature and really is no problem for me. Also, between oil changes what exactly does that mean? 3,000 mile interval, 5000 mile interval, 15,000 mile interval, etc.? Things can get a bit dirtier for the guy who does extended OCIs. JMO opinions vary.

I do 5000 mile OCIs, so I run a bottle of SI-1 right before the oil changes and the 50/50 LUCL/MMO combo in between.

I used to run MMO only in between, but a few of my vehicles are sensitive to pre-ignition and running pure MMO (4oz/10 gallons) makes them do this. The blend stops this from occurring (maybe the PIB controlling the small droplets?)

I started mixing MMO with Red Line FI cleaner, and dosing my E-150 and Jeep with that at each fill up. Your plan sounds solid too.

I had an 85 E-150 that would ping under acceleration sometimes. I found that by fooling with the adjustment on my Inverse Oiler I was able dial the ping out. I ran MMO through that all the time.

I usually do 5K oci's and if you use decent name brand gas, then your fuel system should be relatively clean. Probably using a bottle of Redline every 5K is overkill.

Also, why would anyone mix MMO with Redline? Redline already has an upper cylinder lubricant in the formula. Any other reason? I am just curious...

Last edited:

Also, why would anyone mix MMO with Redline? Redline already has an upper cylinder lubricant in the formula. Any other reason? I am just curious...

Good question here's my logic FWIW. Cost is a small factor, but I wanted a better cleaning UCL. MMO is $4 a qt. RL is a lot more than that. MMO is a better UCL than RL, RL is a much better FI cleaner. For a mix to be used at each tankful why not?

This is Bitog after all, we have guys mixing Techron with MMO or TCW3, and other mixes as well, I made mine with RL. I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only person doing it either. I mix 4.5 ounces of RL into a qt of MMO, and use 4 ounces of the mix to treat 10 gallons of gas. Why wait 5,000 miles for the injectors to accumulate garbage and then clean them again? I'd rather keep them clean and lubed all the time, then if I want to splurge I'll add a bottle of RL once a year. I have a vehicle or two that can sit for weeks at a time, I like the idea that a UCL is coating the combustion chamber and the injector internals. Best of both worlds, IMO I made MMO a better cleaner and RL a better UCL. JMO

As far as top tier gas, I have ZERO faith in that. JMO

Good question here's my logic FWIW. Cost is a small factor, but I wanted a better cleaning UCL. MMO is $4 a qt. RL is a lot more than that. MMO is a better UCL than RL, RL is a much better FI cleaner. For a mix to be used at each tankful why not?

This is Bitog after all, we have guys mixing Techron with MMO or TCW3, and other mixes as well, I made mine with RL. I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only person doing it either. I mix 4.5 ounces of RL into a qt of MMO, and use 4 ounces of the mix to treat 10 gallons of gas. Why wait 5,000 miles for the injectors to accumulate garbage and then clean them again? I'd rather keep them clean and lubed all the time, then if I want to splurge I'll add a bottle of RL once a year. I have a vehicle or two that can sit for weeks at a time, I like the idea that a UCL is coating the combustion chamber and the injector internals. Best of both worlds, IMO I made MMO a better cleaner and RL a better UCL. JMO

MMO and Redline now makes sense to me. Thanks.

Also, in 5K miles your cars injectors will not gunk up with garbage unless you use really bad gas or it sits for months on end.

I may try your mix of MMO and Redline but I still am not up on using it every fill up. Have you checked your spark plugs recently and what do they look like?

I'd mix TCW3 with Red Line SI-1 to stretch the value of the price / ounce of Red Line by mixing at a ratio of oh say...3:1 RL 3 ounce for every 1 ounce of TCW3 certified 2-stroke oil. MMO for cleansing focus or TCW3 for max UCL benefit.

MMO and Redline now makes sense to me. Thanks.

Also, in 5K miles your cars injectors will not gunk up with garbage unless you use really bad gas or it sits for months on end.

I may try your mix of MMO and Redline but I still am not up on using it every fill up. Have you checked your spark plugs recently and what do they look like?

I haven't pulled a set of plugs using the MMO RL mix. I have pulled plugs out of my Aerostar which had a constant mix of MMO in the fuel though. Those plugs had just shy of 78,000 miles on them and were in good shape, just some slight wear. Those were standard Auto-lite plugs. They are such a PITA to take out I replaced them, I was not going to re-gap the old ones and reuse them.

Possibly a bit off topic, but i used to have some issues with my lawn fleet using 87 octane, so i started using sea-foam on each fill up (which corrected issues), but i grew tired of that and switched to 89 octane, and it might be all in my head, but i have no issues with 89 and no additives. On a side note I try not to purchase fuel with greater than 10% ethanol. The reason Im sharing is, these small carbs are much more sensative than a modern day vehicle.

Last edited:
Well thank you all for the advice.
I did buy some Lucas which will be going back.

^I used MMO and Red Line and got some 'red like' stain near the electrode(on the white section near the plug tip). Not sure which additive did it. I OD'd on Red Line but used about 4 or 5 tanks with 4 ounces of MMO each tank(11 gallons apprx).

I've heard about staining with Red Line. I've also read the same thing about 104+ Octane Boost. The consensus seems to be that such staining is harmless, with the Octane Boost people actually addressing the issue at at least one point in their history.

Has anyone tried the Lucas "Deep Clean" product? It's in a tall-ish pint bottle (i think.....) and it's white....not opaque/clear like the classic 5.2 oz. "Lucas UCL" bottles.....claims to be better for cleaning......

Anyone heard good or bad? Contains the usual pros: lower emissions, higher MPGs, etc....heheeh.

Another I noticed walmart carries is an "Ethanol Guard" in a pint or so, green tall bottle....kind of pricey though....supposidely the bottle treats like 175 gallons or something....which equates to about like, 2 oz. per tank....sounds very 'far fetched' lol...

So Redline is a good fuel treatment to use every fill up? Instead of mixing MMO and Redline would alternating them also work?

I'm just trying to take care of my car and have been looking into additives.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981

So Redline is a good fuel treatment to use every fill up? Instead of mixing MMO and Redline would alternating them also work?

I'm just trying to take care of my car and have been looking into additives.

RL can be used at each tankful if you want. The dose is 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of gas if you plan to dose every tank. MMO is 4 ounces/10 gallons of gas. Nothing wrong with alternating RL with MMO either. Once a fuel system is clean either product should keep it clean when used as a maint dose. Opinions obviously vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back