Thunderbird's and Camaro's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an example of each in my stable. My 95 Thunderbird V8 only has 75K on it and I would consider it fun to drive but my 01 Camaro SS with 21K on it is even more fun and of course faster. Motor Trend did a test of a 96 T-bird and it went 0 to 60 in 7.9 and 15.8 in the quarter mile. I got the 95 t-bird from my dad and did a few upgrades to it so its faster and handles even better. I have 17" wheels and 50 series tires to improve handling, and I upgraded the springs and put in Tokico shocks. The transmission felt mushy so I had my cousin rebuild it with a modified shift-kit. Next I had the exhaust system improved with bigger pipes and Flowmasters, then did a dyno-tune and it runs the 1/4 mile in 15.62 to 15.71. My camaro LS1 ss with a dyno tune will sprint down the 1/4 mile around 13.2 and is more of a beast but both are fun to drive

I had a 1996 Cougar that I got in 2000. I upgraded the gears to 3.55s, got some P.I. (power improved) heads off ebay from a 99 mustang. Changed the fake dual exhaust to true duals. Added a cold-air intake. MSD coil packs and wires. Under-drive pulleys, and had it tuned. Plus added a mild shift kit to the trans.

I'm telling ya that car would hold it's own agianst the "muscle cars" of the late 90's and early 00's.

Last edited:
I love the mid 90's T-Birds. They can be a basis for an excellent car. Don't forget, they have independent rear suspension, and will easily outperform a live rear axle on rough roads. Properly set up, they can perform quite well.

However, they really never caught on as a performance vehicle. So performance parts are not easy to come by.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I love the mid 90's T-Birds. They can be a basis for an excellent car. Don't forget, they have independent rear suspension, and will easily outperform a live rear axle on rough roads. Properly set up, they can perform quite well.

However, they really never caught on as a performance vehicle. So performance parts are not easy to come by.

BUT they share enough parts under the hood (in V8 trim) with the Mustang that they can benefit in that regard. And the rear diff is the good 'ol 8.8" of course in the V8 and SC models, meaning you have plenty of rear gear choices.

What about a Lincoln Mark VIII? If you can keep the air bags working, it seems to handle pretty well for what it is. A guy brings one out to the autocross once in a while and it looks OK out there, not as wallowy as springed car of that size typically is. I think the fellow also said the Mark 8 came with the better Mustang engines in years before the Mustangs did but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
What about a Lincoln Mark VIII? If you can keep the air bags working, it seems to handle pretty well for what it is. A guy brings one out to the autocross once in a while and it looks OK out there, not as wallowy as springed car of that size typically is. I think the fellow also said the Mark 8 came with the better Mustang engines in years before the Mustangs did but I could be wrong.

They came with what was basically the Cobra engine. Teskid aluminum block, 32V heads.... blah blah blah.

Originally Posted By: MillerMan
SSGSTTBirdtoyman Which car would you prefer to take a 1000 mile long round trip in?

The answer is obvious, BUT, the 4th gen f bodies are not as bad as you may think on the open roads (as long as you don't have open headers, 4.56 axle ratios, etc.).
wink.gif

I've had both (my MN12 was a '90 Super Coupe, 5 speed), and YES, the T bird handled quite well for it's size and heft (I also upgraded the wheels, tires, shocks, and put a B&M Ripper shifter in it), but it would NOT have been as much fun (depite the same great torque) in a slushbox version.

The fact that you could not get a manual with the V-8 MN12s (correct??) would put me into an LT1 4th gen if I were the O.P., despite the great, smooth ride, and IRS.

which car to take on a 1000 mile jaunt?
I would plan to take my 01 Camaro SS on such a trip if I did not need the extra room for gear and luggage that my T-bird provides.
Also if the trip included any rough mountain gravel roads I would opt for the T-bird as I don't wish to chip the paint on my camaro as it is a special order paint scheme and its in mint condition.

And if I knew it was going to rain hard I think I would also opt for my T-bird.

both vehicles get approx the same hiway mileage with a slight edge to the T-bird and the T-bird runs on regular, the Camaro prefers mid-grade or Super.

I had a '95 TBird with the 4.6, that was actually my first car. It was pretty slow with the old asthma-edition NPI 2V but I actually miss that car a lot.

I would love to get my hands on another 94/95 and hook it up with a Road Runner (Boss 302) engine swap.

I still prefer the 94/95 car's appearance to the ones that came before and after.

10063009_200746172092.JPG

DSC_3870.JPG

1996_ford_thunderbird_2_dr_lx_coupe-pic-16129.jpeg

I also like the 94/95 bumpers best....but I do like 96/97 Tail and head lights better...that will be the best combo, I think.

clear corners and 5 spoke wheels (17 or 18 inch) make a HUGE difference in how good MN12 can look...they came with a big wheel/fender gap from the factory running the 15" wheels...looks like a 4WD!

I have the 16" sport wheels like your 3rd pic, which are better, but still have a ton of wheel/fender gap I think

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I also like the 94/95 bumpers best....but I do like 96/97 Tail and head lights better...that will be the best combo, I think.

A 94/95 car with clear headlight lenses/turn signals and 96/97 tailights/door handles would be the best looking in my book. I also like the fact that the 94/95s don't have that lower body cladding like the 96/97s, they look cleaner and leaner without it, IMO.

That middle pic looks GREAT with the Cobra wheels, and big meats on it!!
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

I had silver Compomotive 5 spoke wheels on my dark metallic blue '90 SC, since I wanted to keep the OEM diameter (16")for ABS function reasons, BUT they were 1" wider than the stockers (which were used for winter tire duty).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back