Replaced T500 WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Successfully replaced the wifi in my laptop. Factory card was an intel 5100 which is a piece of garbage. I put in an atheros AR928X stolen from my Eeepc 1000he.. I lose 5ghz capability but it wasnt worth it for the poor 2.4ghz performance of the intel. Now, you could be right next to the AP and have full bars, but still poor performance. "Bursty" would be the best word for it I guess. I could fire up streaming radio and watch the wifi light flash consistently for awhile, but then it would just stop. Unsurprisingly, the stream would then be interrupted. I dont know if it was some sort of power play to save juice, or what. It would still do it in Max Performance mode and Max Power Save mode. It would just be more often in the latter. Copying a file over the wifi would show a similar throughput issue. It could be chugging along at 5MB/s then drop like a stone for several seconds before coming back up. Normally I like intel stuff, but this card was disappointing.
Unfortunately, it isnt as straight forward as just popping out the old card and throwing in the new one on a thinkpad. They have a BIOS whitelist of acceptable cards. So it errors out and refuses to boot until the offending card is removed. But, it isnt too difficult to find a modded BIOS on the interweb. I did so and risked bricking the thing, but now I dont have to worry about it again. If I want to get a different card sometime later to get 5ghz back, it will be no problem. Just pick one.

Nice.
I have debated replacing the wifi card in my Lenovo to get one that supports N, but because of the BIOS thing you mentioned, I've just not bothered.

Also I think my router has pretty [censored] range, because more than one laptop don't seem to be able to connect or get signal from the oher side of the house. I should replace that first
smile.gif

the easy solution is to disable the factory wireless card and install a usb adapter

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Adapter...6VVviewprod.htm

The internal cards are subject to overheating and fail or drop connections, updating as you have read here can be difficult because the factory motherboard bios may reject the installation

USB protocols are much less bios demanding (the motherboard sees it as a new device and enables it; and waits for the software installation)

My acer laptop wireless card died and i purchased the usb linksys model

my lenovo intel wireless had really poor 2.4ghz performance..
about 2mb/sec but only with wpa (need wpa for legacy devices)

so I installed a e2000 and use 5ghz band(wpa2).. it gets about 10-18MB/sec depending on where I am in the house.

The thing that annoys me about lappys (especially HPs) are the whitelist of wireless cards that they allow. Any use of a wireless card not recognized by the BIOS and you get a warning, and a refusal to boot.

I lucked out on my cheapie Acer 5755. I installed an Intel N 6230 wireless card so I could have bluetooth, and no boot problems.

Now, I kinda want to find a MiniPCIe SSD and install it in the WWAN slot. The problem is finding one that is actually mPCIe and not mSATA. A lot of places seem to get the two mixed up. That way I can have the SSD for boot/programs and the HD for storage.

IIRC, there are some simple bios hack routines available on the Lenovo fora that will work around the whitelist problem and allow you to use whatever wi-fi card you want.

FWIW, I've upgraded a few X series lappys to the Intel 5000 series cards and they've generally performed brilliantly - better than most others on average. Some routers and wi-fi cards just don't play well together. Sometimes it's a router or AP hardware or firmware issue. So it can be a dice roll at times. If you run Lenovo's Access Connections utility, be sure to run the latest version, which will often include the latest drivers for all supported wireless cards. I've seen that solve a few issues, too.

Ive never had any problems like with the 5100 intel card. I even updated the drivers. Seemed to make it better, but didnt make it disappear. I have a trendnet wireless-N AP. I was surprised the other day I took a look at the status page and it was up to 70days. Pretty stable. I do have a project going to replace my router with one that has integrated wireless. I have the cpu, board and ram so far. The board has a mPCIe slot so I have been looking at cards. I think itll get an atheros AR9390 because I know it works in linux. Its a dual band card as well and 3x mimo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back