Oil type for pressure washer pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Generac pressure washer and the owners manual states a part number for this oil in a pre-measured bottle.

The manual conveniently omits "capacity" for this oil. I had to web search the part # to find the bottle; to find the "size."

They want you to buy their 4.9 oz charged bottle @ 5 bucks or so.

Do you guys know what type of oil this is?

Thanks

Its just straight 30 wt non-detergent oil. Cat makes a good one.
You can really just use any 30 weight nd oil ,but the jackels on this site will have you using some specialty oil.
They make a good 30wt synthetic for the same money too. I own 7 pressure washers(don't ask) and run whatever good brand ,mostly valvoline , or pennzoil straight 30 wt dino and had 1 pump develop a leak. Not even oil related i believe. . Here is a link to northern tool and cat's brand and tsc has briggs brand (synthetic).Grainger, Farm and fleet tsc will carry it too , but its easier just buying straight 30.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_11843_11843
http://www.tractorsupply.com/briggs-stratton-reg-pressure-washer-pump-oil-4100501
That should help.

simply contact Amsoil's techs for a quick answer.

We switched a pile of Cat pumps over to their synthetic compressor oil and it is working quite well.

Pressure washer pumps can run very hot - hotter than a straight non-detergent oil can take IMO. I burned out one pump on the factory fill oil in just two years, and the company sent me a new pump. I filled it with my own blend os PAO/POE and it has run smoothly now for over seven years, and much cooler. I would consider a synthetic 30 wt reciprocating air compressor oil if you can find one in small quantities.

TomNJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Pressure washer pumps can run very hot - hotter than a straight non-detergent oil can take IMO. I burned out one pump on the factory fill oil in just two years, and the company sent me a new pump. I filled it with my own blend os PAO/POE and it has run smoothly now for over seven years, and much cooler. I would consider a synthetic 30 wt reciprocating air compressor oil if you can find one in small quantities.

TomNJ

Yeah, they do run hot. The 'book' gives you a warning on incoming water temp. range.

I just drained mine, and extracted about 3 oz of contaminated/ metallic oil..... makes me wonder where the other half went, being a closed system.

Our local Napa store used to stock Amsoil, including their air compressor oil. I had some, but used it in my last compressor change. I still think it can ordered from their store.

I've always ran my belt drive pumps with regular non detergent. Never had a problem and ran them all day long. The high RPM direct drive stuff, maybe not. But I don't know those last too long no matter what.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
simply contact Amsoil's techs for a quick answer.

We switched a pile of Cat pumps over to their synthetic compressor oil and it is working quite well.

Do you have a link to that specific oil by chance?

http://royalpurpleindustrial.com/mediai/rqts2lg.html

I use this.^^ Mostly because I got it for free and it does a great job.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Are we talking about oil for your engine or for the high pressure pump?

The pump.

Thank you tig.

Btw I ordered 2 quarts of Amsoil air compressor oil. One will be for the washer.

But will keep Mobil in mind for the future.

It's hard to imagine that 4-5 oz of oil can do the job here, considering the load and the recommended OCI of 30 hours/annual.

The old looked heavy siver/ black streaked.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Interesting, I ordered the pump oil but already have the IR compressor oil on the shelf. Hmmmmm

Why are you bumping threads that have been dead for 3 years?

Necropost.jpg

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Interesting, I ordered the pump oil but already have the IR compressor oil on the shelf. Hmmmmm

Update here. We love the Amsoil compressor oil in our Cat pumps.

Ours are belt driven and get about 2000 hours a year, not a peep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back