Lubegard does work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Trav says it is good, I believe it. I just put the order on Amazon. I also purchased their "Dr Tranny Shudder Fix" which I am going to keep it in a safe place in case I ever need it.

Lubegard Red (1oz/qt) will be going in Honda Odyssey and Toyota Camry.

- Vikas

LeakySeals According to a Lubegard rep that I used to deal with, "the Platinum is supposed to be a more universal application additive for shops that just want to carry one bottle. The red bottle is a cheaper and better product if your vehicle application calls for it".

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
.... Was is so special about lubegard? How does it work?

Here’s their description of the technology:

International Lubricants

Here is the underlying patent:

United States Patent 5,282,989

The patent is for a lubricant with anti-friction properties, anti-wear properties, and load-carrying properties, comprised of a lubricant base and a lubricating additive. International Lubricants has done a lot research on meadowfoam oil jojoba oil derivative lubricant compositions. Dr. Phil Landis, formerly on the Mobil 1 team, has been working with them for a number of years.

The Lubegard transmission lubricant changes the friction characteristics, causes the transmission to run cooler, reduces oxidation, conditions seals, and has some cleaning properties.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Just talked to a Tranny rebuilder. He says stay with the red, has PAO in it...nice! But he also could not answer what the Platinum was for. tempted to try lubeguard in the engine as a cleaner!

Platinum does the job of both the ATF Supplement, which changes friction characteristics, and the Protectant and adds an antiwear ingredient.

So, here's a question:

I want to put it in my Saturn (below). Did one drain & re-fill with Amsoil ATF. Will do another drain & re-fill with Amsoil again.

So, will the LG Red give Saturn's Auto-tragic benefits over & above the Amsoil ATF?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Just talked to a Tranny rebuilder. He says stay with the red, has PAO in it...nice! But he also could not answer what the Platinum was for. tempted to try lubeguard in the engine as a cleaner!

LubeGard makes an engine flush as well as a additive specifically for engines, I have been pleased with all lubegard products ive used.....

I purchased a bottle of Lubegard Red at NAPA today. It came out to $14 and change. I checked my transmission fluid hot and it is not within the notched area labeled "HOT", just a few mm below, so I'll just dump the whole bottle in which will probably bring it to the top of the hot full mark.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
So, here's a question:

I want to put it in my Saturn (below). Did one drain & re-fill with Amsoil ATF. Will do another drain & re-fill with Amsoil again.

So, will the LG Red give Saturn's Auto-tragic benefits over & above the Amsoil ATF?

Thanks!

No guarantees but zero harm done. Given how you're investing in the car to go a long time, if it were me I'd use it for sure.

I've used LG red in a '91 Ranger I have that has some typical A4LD issues (hard shift when cold, etc) and one bottle helped a bunch after 50 miles. Later, I read Trav recommends two bottles and added a second one. Wow...even better.

I put LG Platinum in my '07 Accord V6 with Valvoline Maxlife (replacing Redline). The LG made the shifts smoother than new, though there were no issues to begin with. I just plan to keep it a long time. It has 85k now and has had about 4 ATF changes
wink.gif

LG says you can't overdose the stuff, so a 2nd bottle is nothing to worry about. Given you don't have issues right now, I'd probably just use one, but it's your car.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
So, here's a question:

Thanks!

No guarantees but zero harm done. Given how you're investing in the car to go a long time, if it were me I'd use it for sure.

I've used LG red in a '91 Ranger I have that has some typical A4LD issues (hard shift when cold, etc) and one bottle helped a bunch after 50 miles. Later, I read Trav recommends two bottles and added a second one. Wow...even better.

I put LG Platinum in my '07 Accord V6 with Valvoline Maxlife (replacing Redline). The LG made the shifts smoother than new, though there were no issues to begin with. I just plan to keep it a long time. It has 85k now and has had about 4 ATF changes
wink.gif

LG says you can't overdose the stuff, so a 2nd bottle is nothing to worry about. Given you don't have issues right now, I'd probably just use one, but it's your car.

Thank you!
smile.gif

Wow, you guys are so impressionable!

I have used LG red with no complaints, but in this case I agree with Donald, questioning the value of if as a PM with today's excellent tranny fluids.

Next, I have to wonder why nobody else questioned the OP's first post. He changed the fluid on two vehicles that had obvious problems, adds the LG, then gives all the credit to the LG.

Is it possible that the fluid changes/overfill correction is what really made the difference? It just doesn't seem like a very objective test result to warrant jumping on the bandwagon so fiercely.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Wow, you guys are so impressionable!

I have used LG red with no complaints, but in this case I agree with Donald, questioning the value of if as a PM with today's excellent tranny fluids.

Next, I have to wonder why nobody else questioned the OP's first post. He changed the fluid on two vehicles that had obvious problems, adds the LG, then gives all the credit to the LG.

Is it possible that the fluid changes/overfill correction is what really made the difference? It just doesn't seem like a very objective test result to warrant jumping on the bandwagon so fiercely.

I am not giving ALL the credit to LG, the credit goes to a combination of events.
On the Subaru: At about 145,000 miles, Subaru dealer serviced trans.,(filter not changed), due to VERY rough/jerking shifting.
Improvement was noted.
At about 150,000 miles, I drained/filled trans 3 times, (filter not changed). Some additional improvement was noted.
After reading about LG here and other places - I added 10 oz LG @ 170,000 miles. Shifting has smoothed out to an almost like new condition.

Dodge Truck -
The shifting was rough before/after the Dealer service, (with about 1.5 qts overfill).
After adding 20 oz LG and correcting the overfill - the shifting has smoothed out to my satisfaction, shifts like it did with only 30,000 miles.
I am convinced this product has merit when used in conjunction with proper service, etc.

Not everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon..... A lot of us have had great experiences with LubeGard. The originator of LubeGard knows his stuff, and has been around oil formulating for years, it isn't a new fly by night company. So yes while there is an overwhelming good response in this thread that doesn't mean we are all sheep following along, some of us are passing knowledge along and we are all here to share knowledge about lubrication as well as to do a fair bit of trial and error with products...... kind of seems like why we are all hear reading and gleaming information from these pages

Last edited:
I usually overfill OR top up mu AT with one-half quart of Maxlife Dex/Merc V fluid whenever I get a new vehicle and once I added 12oz. MMO to further clean some dirt fluid as I always,line-flush my cars and flush, nut with all the "questionable" trans additives (Seafoam Trans Tune, Trans-X, LUCAS one is thick gooey and purple the other thin gummy and red).. I think I will add one bottle LGR (LubeGard Red) to vehicle trans after line flush, same slightly overfull condition with most/all new fluid, as old transes go.

Go LGR! And I will add mine BEFORE there is issue, I am always hesitant to line flush ALL the old ATF just most of it, since who knows what the trans will do and what part may want that remnant of original fluid, you have to let the car stall out to run it ALL out and thats,not good for it to go dry. Depends.

Isn't LG Red just Moly additive for the most part for transmissions?

I have used both LG Red and Moly on the same vehicle and both behave the same. Even the proportions for adding both fluids are the same.

45ACP said:
I usually overfill OR top up mu AT with one-half quart of Maxlife Dex/Merc V fluid whenever I get a new vehicle and once I added 12oz. MMO to further clean some dirt fluid as I always,line-flush my cars and flush, nut with all the "questionable" trans additives (Seafoam Trans Tune, Trans-X, LUCAS one is thick gooey and purple the other thin gummy and red).. I think I will add one bottle LGR (LubeGard Red) to vehicle trans after line flush, same slightly overfull condition with most/all new fluid, as old transes go.

^If you like Lubegard products so much, why not buy their LGR product with their A/T flush too instead of the MMO, especially?

Originally Posted By: ludey
Isn't LG Red just Moly additive for the most part for transmissions?

I have used both LG Red and Moly on the same vehicle and both behave the same. Even the proportions for adding both fluids are the same.

No, Lubegard uses esters and 'some' moly in their Engine Protectant, doubt there is any in LGR.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
45ACP said:

^If you like Lubegard products so much, why not buy their LGR product with their A/T flush too instead of the MMO, especially?

When i put MMO in the car it was because i was line-flushing the fluid a week later, and it did in fact go from slightly reddish-brown (slightly dirty) to new color and shifted well. As a result, i now do the overfill with all of my cars - and line flush if i can find the trans cooler line. LGR i will add next instead of the MMO route, it may in fact have been a placebo, result was inconclusive.

If LGR is Moly thats fine with me!
smile.gif
Because you shouldnt put ACTUAL MOS2 in the trans.. correct?

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
LeakySeals According to a Lubegard rep that I used to deal with, "the Platinum is supposed to be a more universal application additive for shops that just want to carry one bottle. The red bottle is a cheaper and better product if your vehicle application calls for it".

This is what Lubegard tech support said to me. She said use the red since it was the main product for my application and it is cheaper.

This was after I used the platinum and it cleared up a cold weather shutter when I changed to Dex VI.

I have also used the power stering additive and that with synthetic fluid stopped a noisy power steering pump.

And no, I'm not just following he herd on this one. LG seems to be one of a handful of additives that gets universal praise.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K
Originally Posted By: 05Blazer

This is what Lubegard tech support said to me. She said use the red since it was the main product for my application and it is cheaper.

This was after I used the platinum and it cleared up a cold weather shutter when I changed to Dex VI.

I have also used the power stering additive and that with synthetic fluid stopped a noisy power steering pump.

And no, I'm not just following he herd on this one. LG seems to be one of a handful of additives that gets universal praise.

AMEN!!

1. LGR will go in with the half-quart overfill of my next AT...
2. Mos2 (Moly) is the other "universally praised" additive.

All the other stuff on the shelf is "questionable" though people have their favorites...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back