Alternatives to PB Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah, This bugs me too. Seems to be worse in the cooler months. I punch a hole in the can and pour into an little oil can

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Sorry to say, but the propellant will probably disappear before you have a chance to use it. I was given a can of PB blaster and it lasted me a year before it quit spewing. There was still half left, but I don't know how old it was when it was given to me.

I have blown air into a depleted aerosol can by mouth, using a tooth to press the tube that controls the valve. That pressure was only enough to dribble some remaining liquid out. I'll bet it would be fairly easy to make an adapter that could re-pressurize a can with compressed air.

Last edited:
Or you can do what I have done and get yourself an old oiler bottle and refill it with a mixture of PB Blaster and another oil to keep it from evaporating off.

I did this with some MMO, LC20 and some ATF+4 that is sitting around. Works for all kinds of applications.

It is more messy of a container than a airsol can, but just as messy overall. With an airsol you seem to get too much everywhere. With an old oiler can you get a small amount where you want it, but then it drips a bit when it is back on the shelf.
Same amount of mess, just in a different way.

2004 RAV4 rear brake has pins holding pads in place. Five years of NY winters rusted the pins to pads. Used PB Blaster sprayed .left overnight and NO LUCK.
Had a can of CRC Freeze OFF and sprayed enough to refrigerate pins. The pins came out and I did my break job.
Have to get a can of KROIL which I read gun shops carry.

Today I mixed up some acetone and ATF in a 50/50 mixture and used it on some brake drums that haven't off in over 10 years.
Best stuff I ever used, didn't even back off the brake adjusters.

What do you put the ATF and acetone mix in? I've wanted to do it, but wasn't sure what type of spray bottle would work without disintegrating. Or, maybe you don't use a spray bottle?

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I use PB Blaster. I had a can of something at one point that worked incredibly - and smelled like bubble gum, but I don't remember what it was.

That would be G96, it works well and cleans plastic wad fouling from shotguns. I never had a rusty gun with G96.

http://www.g96.com/gun_treatment.html

Belray 6in1 is gold! Penetrate, corrosion inhibitor, water displacement, and most importantly it a lube that has a film that will stay in place

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Today I mixed up some acetone and ATF in a 50/50 mixture and used it on some brake drums that haven't off in over 10 years.

But Charlie, do you mean that the drums have not been off for 10 years because they were stuck on and that other products had failed to release them? I played with that mixture and it failed to impress me.

Originally Posted By: Bazz54
Charlie1935 said:

But Charlie, do you mean that the drums have not been off for 10 years because they were stuck on and that other products had failed to release them? I played with that mixture and it failed to impress me. [/quote

They hadn't been off because I had no reason to take them off.
They didn't budge when I first tried to remove them then I applied the juice.]

Hello, I just mixed up a small (4 oz.) batch of ATF and acetone. I was surprised that it settles out and forms a barrier. The whole mixture remains pink. I'm going to use it on old shocks in a Jeep. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back