2010 Camaro SS - What Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Camaro SS with the 6.2 engine. I bought the car at around 4k miles. Since the purchase I have been using Castrol Edge 5w30. I change my oil around every 4,000 miles. Now I do mostly city driving but still a fair amount of highway use. I also have a tendency to drive hard. I'm interested in everyone's recommendation. I would prefer something I can pick up at my local Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts. The car takes 8.6 quarts of oil with a filter change so it can get quite expensive.

From what I can tell with research the car came factory with Mobil 1. I personally have never used Mobil 1. Up until this car I have been a die hard Castrol fan but that was also their Dino oil. This is my first synthetic go around.

You will most likely find Pennzoil Platinum on sale the most, it will most likely be the most cost-effective option.

I'm not too worried about the costs. I'm looking for long engine life and no build up problems.

I believe the API SN rated Pennzoil Platinum is Dexos1 approved. The fact that it's cheaper than other synthetics of this caliber is an added bonus.

Get the most cost effective Dexos-1 oil and with a 8.6 quart oil pan and a synthetic oil your are throwing your money away with a 4K OCI. Extended your OCI out to at least 6 to 7K unless your OLM is indicating you need a change before then. If you do not trust your OLM let it run down to around 30% before changing.

I'd stay with Castrol Edge. I used Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 1998 Corvette's LS-1 but switched to Castrol Edge 5W-30 because of high lead readings in my UOA (around 22 ppm). After switching to Castrol Edge it went down to 6 ppm. Great Oil !

PS my Corvette has 140,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
The important thing to note is that despite the power density this engine is NOT hard on oil.

Use any name brand synth, a nice filter, and follow the OLM. The engine will outlast us all.

A 2010 engine will not require dexos oil. dexos didn't take effect until the 2011 model year.

M1 5w30 is what I used for the first 150K miles in my LS1 Camaro, and it worked very well.

Follow the Oil Life Monitor and the engine will be fine.

QSUD 5W30 is what i used in my Chevy 6.0 v-8
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I'd stay with Castrol Edge. I used Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 1998 Corvette's LS-1 but switched to Castrol Edge 5W-30 because of high lead readings in my UOA (around 22 ppm). After switching to Castrol Edge it went down to 6 ppm. Great Oil !

In all fairness though, the Mobil 1 you were running was the older formula, and with the new SN formula we are seeing lower iron numbers in the UOAs. I've got enough confidence in M1 now that I am planning on switching my Corvette over to it on my next oil change.

Joe Gibbs LS30 would be a great choice. Planning on a VOA as soon as I can get some. Ill be running this in my 2500hd.

Originally Posted By: BlueSS
From what I can tell with research the car came factory with Mobil 1. I personally have never used Mobil 1. Up until this car I have been a die hard Castrol fan but that was also their Dino oil. This is my first synthetic go around.

BlueSS,

Your doing fine using Castrol "Edge" if that's what you like. If it's not Dexos rated just give it six months as practically everything will be Dexos approved anyway.

My brothers Caddy dealership offers two brands of synthetic offered to customers. One is Mobil 1 and the other being Castrol "Edge". so in reality it doesn't matter. Both are excellent synthetic oil to use in the Camaro.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back