oil for 2005 nissan sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V with 116,000 miles that I purchased new with 56 miles on it back in August of 2005.

I used Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w-30 for the first few changes. Eventually I switched it up to Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 then eventually switched it to Castrol European formula 0w-30, because I read that it was a group 4 synthetic. I have always changed my oil per owner's manual at 3,750 miles. I have always used the Walmart Super Tech filters because they were so cheap.

I went back to Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w-30 because of price for the last few oil changes. Recently I was at Auto Zone and they had a special: 5 quart jug of Peak Performance 5w-30, STP oil filter, funnel, oil catcher/pan, towels and hand cleaner for $19.99 with a $5 mail in rebate bringing it down to $14.99. I couldn't pass it up so I picked it up.

I've been thinking of skipping the Peak oil and using Pennzoil Platinum with a Napa Gold filter and running it up to 10,000 miles. Would this be a good idea? What about Pennzoil Ultra? Can I use the Ultra with a Napa Gold filter and run it up to 10,000 miles?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

I'd go with an oil that says it can do extended OCI like M1 EP.

Autozone has a deal on that with an extended filter.

I also think that going from 3,750 to 10,000 miles is a bit risky. Think about going to 5000-7000 and doing a UOA to see if you can go longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjacket

I also think that going from 3,750 to 10,000 miles is a bit risky. Think about going to 5000-7000 and doing a UOA to see if you can go longer.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to follow your advice and do an oil analysis before extending oil use.

Originally Posted By: dragonsamus

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to follow your advice and do an oil analysis before extending oil use.

To be clear, I would say make the change to something like M1 EP and then sample at a mileage that you are comfortable at and ask for the TBN.

You'll most likely get a recommendation on how much longer you can keep the oil in based on the TBN.

I've used M1, and M1 EP 5w-30/10w-30 for 90% of my Spec V's life. And my car loves it. And I have never used anything less than Purolator Pureone, and Napa gold oil filters.

My OCI interval is 4k miles, but I run my car pretty hard and I live in a dusty area.

Last edited:
Has anyone asked the OP's driving habits....BEFORE recommending an oil and OCI?

Seems to me.... that would be the first item of interest....instead of suggesting any oil and OCI.

I've been thinking of skipping the Peak oil and using Pennzoil Platinum with a Napa Gold filter and running it up to 10,000 miles. Would this be a good idea? What about Pennzoil Ultra? Can I use the Ultra with a Napa Gold filter and run it up to 10,000 miles?

Pennzoil Platinum and Purolator Pure One would be my choice. Change it every 8K.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Has anyone asked the OP's driving habits....BEFORE recommending an oil and OCI?

Seems to me.... that would be the first item of interest....instead of suggesting any oil and OCI.

I should've posted that first. My car is a daily driver. I drive it around 24 miles highway to work and 24 miles back.
80% highway and 20% street

I ended up purchasing a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter $33.99. I think I'm going to use this oil and do an analysis and see where it goes. Thanks for the advice!!

Originally Posted By: Xeno
I've used M1, and M1 EP 5w-30/10w-30 for 90% of my Spec V's life. And my car loves it. And I have never used anything less than Purolator Pureone, and Napa gold oil filters.

My OCI interval is 4k miles, but I run my car pretty hard and I live in a dusty area.

I don't drive my car hard anymore. I was using Castrol European formula 0w-30 and Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 when I was taking my car to the race track once or twice a month. Since I stopped going I went back to a conventional oil. I also drive super slow now. I want to go back to synthetic for a longer oil change interval. Thanks for the advice!!

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Pennzoil Platinum and Purolator Pure One would be my choice. Change it every 8K.

I still really want to try Pennzoil Platinum. I will use it after the Mobil 1. Thanks for the advice!!

Both the PP and Mobil 1....are great choices. Can't go wrong with either.

With your driving habits....both oils should go 10K....but you might want to do an UOA at 7500.

If you would like to extend your OCI...to 12 to 15K....Mobil 1 EP or PU would be a very good choice....but do a UOA at 9K+/-...just to make sure.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Both the PP and Mobil 1....are great choices. Can't go wrong with either.

With your driving habits....both oils should go 10K....but you might want to do an UOA at 7500.

If you would like to extend your OCI...to 12 to 15K....Mobil 1 EP or PU would be a very good choice....but do a UOA at 9K+/-...just to make sure.

Thanks for the advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back