Noticing lots of old Pathfinders...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been noticing lots of older Hardbody Pathfinders recently. It seems like they are still everywhere. There are still a good number of Hardbody pickups on the road, but the Pathfinders are more common.

Is this possibly due to the 4EAT transmission in the Pathfinders? I'm not sure if the pickups also got this auto transmission.

I'm guessing these Pathfinders have some sort of reliability advantage that makes them so common in relation to other vehicles that are the same age. I sometimes see older 4Runners, but they look much more babied and cared for than the Pathfinders which usually look their age.

I notice the same thing, old Pathfinders do look their age, but havent seen a Honda Passport(?) in quite a while. Werent they the same vehicle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hisilver
I notice the same thing, old Pathfinders do look their age, but havent seen a Honda Passport(?) in quite a while. Werent they the same vehicle?

No, the Honda Passport was a rebadged version of the Isuzu Rodeo.

The old pathfinders here rot on the frame in the same spot pretty much every truck.

All Pathfinders with 4 speed auto transmissions through 2004 have the RE4R01A transmission. The stock transmission cooler is prone to clogging on WD21 (1986.5-1995) models. It is advisable to install an auxiliary transmission cooler and bypass the stock cooler, or clean the stock cooler out. Installing a Magnefine is also wise. I believe Hardbodies also have the RE4R01A transmission; the FSM lists the RL4R01A transmission. The cooler clogging is more prevalent if the fluid has not been maintained regularly.

4WD Pathfinders and Hardbodies with the FS5R30A manual transmission must be overfilled due to a design flaw in the transmission's case. NTB97-009a - FS5R30A TRANSMISSION WHINE

Other common issues are severe frame rust (often from the inside out), especially in the rear of the vehicle over the wheels and above the gas tank, and broken exhaust manifold studs. The steering system is also rather weak.

The WD21/D21 model vehicles are not the only ones with potential significant rust issues. 1996-2004 (R50) Pathfinders and QX4s can be affected by severe rust in the strut tower housing on both the driver and passenger sides. NTB11-064a - 1996-2004 PATHFINDER LEFT FRONT STRUT HOUSING CORROSION and a long thread detailing owners' experiences regarding the recall.

Nothing but bad for the 2 Nissan's that I had personal experience with. Both were horrible. A 2004 Pathfinder (Actually the engine was very rough running and was a real gas guzzler but the rest of the car fell apart) That Pathfinder was in the dealer as much as it was on the road. Then there was the Sentra... That whole car was just junk period. (The Nissan dealer tried to blame me for faulty maintenance when the starter / flywheel blew up. said I was working the starter too hard by not tuning up the car. It had 19000 miles on it, tuneup wasn't due yet. finally capitulated and covered the flywheel.

Interesting...the ones I see do not have body rust, not sure on frame rust. I see more rotted Explorers than Pathfinders, and it seems like every rust free Explorer is 2WD.

Maybe Pathfinders were regionally popular and because of our mild climate did not rot out. The ones I see are very early models too, many are 2-doors. One guy uses his 2-door to tow a trailer for hauling scrap metal. I have seen that thing loaded with a ton on the trailer and maybe 500+ lbs in the truck and it still keeps going.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nissan engines are indestructable. :^)
yep, after you rebuild the engine a couple times
wink.gif

Nah, just joshing :p Old joke I heard...lol. My dad was totally anti-everything that was not American made.....and he'd say to his Honda-friends, "yep those Hondas will live forever, after you rebuild them 3 or 4 times" haha. We all got a kick out of it.

It astounds me though, some of those Honda motors are [censored] indestructible....buddy of mine works for Walmart TLE, and he tells us all kinds of crazy stories of Honda leakers/burners that come through with low, or even NO oil on the dipsticks, let alone the block - when they pull the plug.....NOTHING comes out...they surely are indestructible :p

It's funny he had one young girl come up one time, cause they have to page the csutomer back before they can service the vehicle, and she was all worried, he just told her, yea, it's normal for hondas, they can run on a dribble of oil....at least some of them seem to anyways.....

I always thought the low oil light would come on if the level were low...?

Then again, just tonight he said they had a 2011 Chevrolet Camaro come through, NO OIL on the dipstick....only a little over 10k on the clock.....I was astounded....really? Leaking/burning at 10k? :p

He asked the younger girl when her last oil change was, etc....when she last checked it, etc....and it was actually done at the Chevy Dealer, at ~5k according to her....he said the cartridge filter was Black as sin.....so more than likely they just didn't change the oil.....he told her she should take the car in to be further inspected.....make sense....10k and already leaking/burning? for a 5k OCI? Doesn't seem right....and I believe the car takes 6 or 7 quarts of oil....

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Nothing but bad for the 2 Nissan's that I had personal experience with. Both were horrible. A 2004 Pathfinder (Actually the engine was very rough running and was a real gas guzzler but the rest of the car fell apart) That Pathfinder was in the dealer as much as it was on the road. Then there was the Sentra... That whole car was just junk period. (The Nissan dealer tried to blame me for faulty maintenance when the starter / flywheel blew up. said I was working the starter too hard by not tuning up the car. It had 19000 miles on it, tuneup wasn't due yet. finally capitulated and covered the flywheel.

The 04 pathfinder had the 3.5 V6 and should've been pretty smooth, I test drove a manual trans one and fell in love with the motor, but gearing was stupid given the torque of the motor. It ran near 3000rpm at 65...
I do see alot of them around too with only the early 90's ones with actual gaping holes. The 2000 and later ones seem not to show much exterior rust.

I had a '92 pathfinder XE 4wd 5 speed. Claimed 15 city/18 highway. Rarely ever came close to those numbers

The major issues were the exhaust manifold kept breaking the studs going into the head. Would replace the studs, re machine the manifold, and 8 months later. Tick tick tick on cold start up.

Sold it to a dealer who test drove it when already warm and silent. Bet whoever started it the next time when cold was alarmed.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I had a '92 pathfinder XE 4wd 5 speed. Claimed 15 city/18 highway. Rarely ever came close to those numbers

The major issues were the exhaust manifold kept breaking the studs going into the head. Would replace the studs, re machine the manifold, and 8 months later. Tick tick tick on cold start up.

Sold it to a dealer who test drove it when already warm and silent. Bet whoever started it the next time when cold was alarmed.

Oh man, you should've used 300ZX turbo exhaust manifold studs, those don't break AFAIK. They're made of a different type of steel.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: johnachak

The 04 pathfinder had the 3.5 V6 and should've been pretty smooth, I test drove a manual trans one and fell in love with the motor, but gearing was stupid given the torque of the motor. It ran near 3000rpm at 65...
I do see alot of them around too with only the early 90's ones with actual gaping holes. The 2000 and later ones seem not to show much exterior rust.

Yeah the VQ 3.5 is smooth. Mine has 111K miles and is silent at idle and runs great. The VG in the Quest has been really reliable.

The Japanese call them a Terrano,and that's what they are known as in most of the world. The early models rust in the rear floor - it's hard to pick up as they are double skinned in that area. It can't been seen from underneath, and in our inspections we lift the rear carpet to check for rust. Most in NZ are powered by the TD27 turbo diesel, the V6 is rare. Later versions are powered by the related QD32 diesel. We had a V6 on our yard for about a year before it was sold at a discount price, if it was diesel it would have gone in a week for a lot more money.

Quote:
lol.gif
Tell that to all the 02-03 2.5L Altima and Sentra owners whose engines 'self-destructed' after the precat failed, puking substrate into the motor. These are owners like myself that Nissan hung with ticking time bomb vehicles, that literally and figuratively left owners by the side of the road.

Indestructible?
whistle.gif
Not hardly.

We've got a 2000 model year Pathfinder in the family. It's my nephew's vehicle. It's got over 250K miles on it at this point and gets beat to heck. It's 3.5L, 5spd manual with 4x4. It had a new clutch and throw-out bearing installed.. mainly because of a RMS leak that needed fixing. Several alternators as well. The body is in great shape yet, although things can be hiding like said.

Joel

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
lol.gif
Tell that to all the 02-03 2.5L Altima and Sentra owners whose engines 'self-destructed' after the precat failed, puking substrate into the motor. These are owners like myself that Nissan hung with ticking time bomb vehicles, that literally and figuratively left owners by the side of the road.

Indestructible?
whistle.gif
Not hardly.

Compared to the amount of I4 Altimas sold in that vintage, you seem to be in the minority.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
lol.gif

Indestructible?
whistle.gif
Not hardly.

Compared to the amount of I4 Altimas sold in that vintage, you seem to be in the minority.

Really? If "that vintage" is 02-03 2.5L then perhaps you should do more research before you make such a statement.

All 2.5L 02's and the large majority of 03's have or will have the same issue unless the precat is removed or bored out prior to this occuring. In my state and most, this would be illegal. Besides, Nissan did a recall that fooled original owners into thinking they had fixed the issue. You can read all about it in the thread below. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2139188&page=all

Hardly in the minority, just one of many. Just not something that non owners of 02-03 2.5L have direct knowledge of. But hey, feel free to buy one of "that vintage" and roll the dice since you seem so confident. Good Luck.

Indestructible? Not.

Congratulations, you got the good one. Enjoy it. It's probably the one Nissan sent to Consumer reports to get their rating. (LOL)
The rest of us... Not so much so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back