New Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
so that will be available in 3 years for my car?

I mean this year half the tires were never even available in all sizes.. ie perm. backorder.

no they didnt run out.. they never produced them.

ie conti EWC in my size were supposed to be available 12-16-2011

and they were never available.

Originally Posted By: Rand
so that will be available in 3 years for my car?

I mean this year half the tires were never even available in all sizes.. ie perm. backorder.

no they didnt run out.. they never produced them.

ie conti EWC in my size were supposed to be available 12-16-2011

and they were never available.

Use a different size then, it hardly matters, unless you drive your car at near its maximum GVWR at very illegal speeds. Then you have to do some research and then buy an available size that will allow you to do that...

the nearest size was 2 sizes off.

why I ended up with blizzak's

These do look impressive. OF course the dunlop 4d does too but its MIA in North America.

Translation: Exciting but not holding breath till they show up.

My gf has the xice xi2's and they are decent.. seems like these will be number 1 studless.. until the other manufacturer's new models come out.

Last edited:
I believe another new winter tire from Michelin, the Pilot Alpin PA4 may also show up in the USA this year. Just a hunch, no inside info.

07.jpg

Sounds like I made a good choice with my Nokian Hakka R's. I did notice hints of the over-steer they talked about. Nothing serious, just enough to tell me I was getting too cocky around a few poorly-plowed bends.

I guess there are areas where winter tires are needed for most of the year and highway handling are necessary.

IMO, I wouldn't take a directional 60K winter tire....give me a softer blizzak like the DM-V1 without the directional tread, and I will replace when needed.

I would like to see this new Michelin up against the DM-V1 in a comparable size. I agree these tires are for more performance oriented vehicles but slow and sure-footed beats fast and agressive in the slippery stuff.

Not a rant but curious as to what the intentions are for a performance snow tire.

Weird, I had a jpg posted above that showed the new design features of the tire, and it's been replaced with the beyond.ca logo???

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
I guess there are areas where winter tires are needed for most of the year and highway handling are necessary.................Not a rant but curious as to what the intentions are for a performance snow tire.

The Xi3 is definitely not a performance winter. Performance winters, also referred to as "central european winter tires", are designed to excel on dry/wet cold pavement at elevated speeds, and still have good snow capability and decent ice traction. They will typically have better dry traction, wet traction, and hydroplaning performance than the ice&snow tires like the Xi3, WS70, HakkaR, etc

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
I guess there are areas where winter tires are needed for most of the year and highway handling are necessary.

IMO, I wouldn't take a directional 60K winter tire....give me a softer blizzak like the DM-V1 without the directional tread, and I will replace when needed.

I would like to see this new Michelin up against the DM-V1 in a comparable size. I agree these tires are for more performance oriented vehicles but slow and sure-footed beats fast and agressive in the slippery stuff.

Not a rant but curious as to what the intentions are for a performance snow tire.

xice xi3 is a max traction studless optimized for like normal driving feel.

Primacy ALPIN 4? or PA4 is the performance snow.. then they have the ultra high performance pilot alpin.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Sounds like I made a good choice with my Nokian Hakka R's. I did notice hints of the over-steer they talked about. Nothing serious, just enough to tell me I was getting too cocky around a few poorly-plowed bends.

One thing that sticks in my memory from reading many of the Scandinavian and Russian tests is that the testers often praise the HakkaR for its feedback, controllability and recoverability on ice and snow, even though it does not always place first in tests like braking on ice or accelerating on ice.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I believe another new winter tire from Michelin, the Pilot Alpin PA4 may also show up in the USA this year.

^^This is the one I might be interested in (if they EVER make it in my size, which is unlikely
frown.gif
) as an alternative to the Nokian WRG2

I believe the Alpin PA4 has been on the European market for almost 2 years now. More info on the north American PA4 should be available soon:

http://tires.about.com/b/2012/01/27/there-and-back-again.htm

"First Drive notes on Michelin's new Pilot Alpin PA4 and their Latitude X-Ice and Winter LTX SUV/Light Truck snow tires, as well as Toyo's Observe GSi-5 and Goodyear's UltraGrip Ice WRT."

I had a typo

its primacy alpin PA3= performance snow
xice xi2(xi3 this fall) = max traction ice/snow

PILOT ALPIN (PA4)= ultra high performance winter.

Last edited:
well pilot alpin pa3's were available in 2-3 sizes in 16" rest were 17+

this may continue with several highly popular sizes in 16 but I cant find any sizing info on PA4's

Last edited:
Here is another review of the Xi3:
http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Michelin-X-Ice-Xi3.htm

................."So what I can say for certain about the tires boils down to this: The Xi3 is clearly a much better snow tire than the Xi2. Much better.".....................

................."I was mildly disappointed to find that we would not be able to make a direct comparison between the Xi3's and their closest competitors; the Nokian Hakka R and Bridgestone Blizzak WS70."........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back