Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil1 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2011 Chevy Traverse. Just changed the oil recently at about 5000 miles (used the oil life monitor). I have been using Mobil1 5W/30 and Napa Gold filters in all my vehicles in the past, and used the same just recently. Recently visited a Chevy Traverse forum and read where a lot of people were recommending Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W/30 vs. Mobil1 saying it's better for the 3.6L direct injection engines in the GM Lambda crossovers.

Any truth to this? I plan on changing using the oil life monitor like I have done with two other vehicles. This amounts to about 5000 to 6000 miles between oil changes.

both are top tier.. get whatever one you can find a deal on.

or whichever makes you feel warm and fuzzy
smile.gif

The oil life monitor of your Chevy is calculated with conventional oil, any synthetic is better with your OCI's based on OLM. M1 or PP or PU or QSUD or Peak or ... are more than good for 5-6k miles.

PP seems to be the preferred oil for my Mazdaspeed3, a turbo, DI engine with a rep for being hard on oils. Mine will eventually see both PP and M1. Use either with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Rand
both are top tier.. get whatever one you can find a deal on.

or whichever makes you feel warm and fuzzy
smile.gif

+1

Also if you want to save a little $$$, you might consider Quaker State Ultimate Durability (PP's "first cousin" in my opinion)

If following an OLM calibrated for conventional oil, I'd use QSUD, as it's considerably cheaper in the 5-qt jug at Wal-Mart, and on the Dexos 1 list. My $0.02

I'd stick with a synthetic on a DI engine, and use the OLM if money isn't tight. I of course am a homer for PP but either oil will do just fine for you.

I use PP 5W-30 in our Equinox, changing it at my comfort level of 4500-5000 intervals. I really don't care about the OLM to be honest. I would not hesitate to use M1. Between these two choices I just buy based on price. Both are great oils.

Originally Posted By: 229
Only one of those actually has the green flag on the label.

Even though Mobil 1 is the only one with the dexos1 green flag, Pennzoil Platinum and QSUD are dexos1 also. I don't understand why SOPUS doesn't put it on their bottles.

I would stagger the changes personally. They are both very good. I lean towards the PP because of the additive pack. The M1 SN has changed (not that it means it's worse) and I like the calcium in PP.

Originally Posted By: neustkg
I own a 2011 Chevy Traverse. Just changed the oil recently at about 5000 miles (used the oil life monitor). I have been using Mobil1 5W/30 and Napa Gold filters in all my vehicles in the past, and used the same just recently. Recently visited a Chevy Traverse forum and read where a lot of people were recommending Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W/30 vs. Mobil1 saying it's better for the 3.6L direct injection engines in the GM Lambda crossovers.

Any truth to this? I plan on changing using the oil life monitor like I have done with two other vehicles. This amounts to about 5000 to 6000 miles between oil changes.

33.gif
They actually have a Chevy Traverse forum? Now I`v heard it all. What happened to the rear design? looks like they ran out of what to do back there, and just shoved it out the door."but we`re not finished with it?....Too bad get it outta here"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
PP seems to be the preferred oil for my Mazdaspeed3, a turbo, DI engine with a rep for being hard on oils. Mine will eventually see both PP and M1. Use either with confidence.

+1

I did some checking since I'm interested in a Traverse for my wife's next vehicle.

If you do some digging I think you'll find the PP yeilds much lower UOA iron numbers in that engine than Mobil 1. The lowest iron UOA that I could find on a Traverse was actually put up by Valvoline WB.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I did some checking since I'm interested in a Traverse for my wife's next vehicle.

If you do some digging I think you'll find the PP yeilds much lower UOA iron numbers in that engine than Mobil 1. The lowest iron UOA that I could find on a Traverse was actually put up by Valvoline WB.

Which means what exactly?

As long as the metals in a UOA are within a given range for an engine family all is well.

BigTallV used PP, Castrol Edge and M1.

He also had a thread on the Saturn Outlook Forum (Yes. They even have those too) regarding the same UOAs, where he gives a little more detail about his driving habits.

BigTallV may have done some more recent posts too. I will let him speak for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back