Not open for further replies.
Received mailings today for two SSPs for the following turbocharged Mazdas:

2007-2009 CX-7
2007-2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6

"Heavy White Exhaust Smoke Warranty Extension Program SSP 86"

Warranty coverage extended to 7 years or 70,000 miles

What is the problem?

Certain vehicles may exhibit heavy white smoke from the exhaust tail pipes after long idle periods or while driving at low speeds in heavy traffic. The smoke may be caused by engine oil leakage from the turbocharger entering the exhaust pipe. The warranty extension applies only to this condition.

This warranty extension does not apply if the problem is caused by poor vehicle maintenance (insufficient oil changes or using engine oil of viscosity lower than 5W-30).

What will Mazda do?

Dealer will install a ventilation kit or replace the turbocharger free of charge.

#2 Applies to:

2007-2010 CX-7
2007-2010 Mazdaspeed3
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6

"Variable Valve Timing Noise and Timing Chain Noise Warranty Extension Program-SSP 87"

What is the problem?

On certain vehicles, a loud ticking noise may be exhibited from the VVT when the engine is first started at cold condition, due to a wear on the lock pin hole in the VVT rotor or breakage of the VVT case. After the engine warms up, some vehicles may exhibit a knocking/rattle type noise from the front timing cover and or valve cover at engine speeds below 2000 rpm, due to excessive stretching of the timing chain.

The warranty coverage for the specific repair is extended to 7 years from the original warranty start date or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The warranty extension does not apply if the problem is caused by poor vehicle maintenance (insufficient oil changes or using engine oil of viscosity lower than 5W-30).

What will Mazda do?

Your dealer will replace the VVT actuator, or both the VVT actuator and the timing chain free of charge...

Last edited:
I just got my VVT actuator and timing chain changed last week under warranty. Car "seems" to have more power now too. 2007 CX7. Haven't noticed any turbo issues yet...

Did you have obvious symptoms as described or did they just replace it because you were in the affected VINs?

Obvious symptoms. Rattle on cold start from VVT and the timing chain was stretched. Service writer started up the vehicle and pulled it right into the garage and got me a rental it took a couple days (spanned over a Sunday) .

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge
I just got my VVT actuator and timing chain changed last week under warranty. Car "seems" to have more power now too. 2007 CX7. Haven't noticed any turbo issues yet...

2007 CX7 42000 miles.

Failure of the VVT actuator and timing chain is catastrophic.

Last edited:
I know that there have been a lot of smoking turbos in the MS3 community, so I'm very happy to see the warranty extension. But, these cars are often modified and run very hard by the fanboys. Mine has been used relatively easy, with only 22,000 miles in 3.5 years.

Wedge-did you have to supply documentation of oil changes to get the warranty coverage?

Last edited:
Not only am I impressed with the warranty extension, but I'm impressed with Mazda for actually letting you know about it. I've owned a number of vehicles in the past where the manufacturer has issued a number of extended warranties on certain parts but owners are not informed. That's sketchy to me.

Our CX7 is totally stock. I did not need to supply documentation (car has had 4000 mile OCI using PP or M1). This never would have been fixed if I did not bring it to the dealer with a specific concern though, so if you have ANY startup rattle get it fixed ASAP.

Of course a lot will depend on your dealer and service writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back