cooking spray as road salt repellant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a weird question, but was wondering if using a non-stick cooking spray such as "smart balance" or "pam" sprayed on lower panel areas of vehicles (or undercarriage) would help ward off road salt we get from winter roads ? Would it perhaps cause it (salt)not to stick to the treated areas, including paint, thus preventing vehicle from getting all coated with corrosive road salt in winter ? Before trying it, I'm wondering if it would be harmful to the vehicle's paint-
Anyone tried this ?

in england, my Dad used to mix diesel with old engine oil and spray the [censored] out of EVERYTHING under the vehicle. the fact that he was breathing the vapour of that stuff is prob part of the reason he is 6' under ?!

The problem is that this stiff is sticky and will actually trap and retain the brine and salt residue and it will be MUCH harder to remove it from the vehicle ...All modern vehicles today have exellent rust proofing from the factory. Also pays to look at your new car warranty regarding rust. most makers have long warranties and some instructions about what NOT to do to keep this warranty in effect.

Pam is canola oil and a propellant. The problem with vegetable oils is that they oxidize and form varnishes that are tough to get off. I wouldn't use it for that purpose. A petroleum based product like WD40 is better because it's more chemically stable.

I've heard of people doing this during love bug season....lol.

Best bet is to just invest in a sprinkler system, to spray down your under carriage yourself
smile.gif

Or pay $10/week at the local car wash, to have it washed.....note: price may differ from wash to wash......locally I know it's 10$, the 3$ wash doesn't wash the underside....only soak and rinse of the top side of the vehicle :p

The worst is when we get a cold snap below freezing for a long time and the car is all crusted up with salt. Too cold to wash it at home or carwash, and the salt just stays on there. Can't stand the sight of it and what it does to the car. No garage, so can't warm it up enough to wash the salt off. Just have to wait til warm enough weather to wash it off. Nothing new, part of the northeast winters.

Your best bet is to put a good coat of wax. The salt and other contaminants will stick to cooking spray. Plus cooking spray isn't tested on car paint. It might ruin it.

WD-40 works pretty well on the underbody to keep the salty [censored] off it. Keep in mind, if it's super-cold, and everything is either dry, or ice, you're fine. It's only when the salt gets wet that it causes rust.

i tried using wd-40 on my jeep last winter, wasent really impressed on how it worked keeping rust from forming. It also look off some paint underneath that was probably spray paint from a previous owner. wd-40 usually takes off cheap paint but leaves factory paint fine.

This year im trying used motor oil, specifically got the frame really good and got trouble areas good but didn't get everything.

we will see how it works...
next year im going to try and invest into some fluid film, but this year caught up fast and motor oil is what i had

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
This year im trying used motor oil, specifically got the frame really good and got trouble areas good but didn't get everything.

Don't forget that any fluid even this will actually trap salt and bring allowing it to stick to the motor oil..

Also used motor oil has acids in it from combustion that will eat away at any factory undercoating and it will also corrode metal over time.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Don't forget that any fluid even this will actually trap salt and bring allowing it to stick to the motor oil..

so what would you recommend for salt? seems like all the popular protects like fluid film and krown are sticky fluids you coat over metal that would attract salt.

so what would you recommend for salt? seems like all the popular protects like fluid film and krown are sticky fluids you coat over metal that would attract salt.

That's why the factory style undercoating is best. It is hard resists trapping any debris or corrosive salt water next to the body and the best part is that you simply use a high pressure water jet and maybe soap to wash the salt and other debris away easily.

Again most modern cars need NO extra protection and have a decade or more worth of rust through warranty. many manufacturers actually tell owners NOT to add aftermarket undercoating that is NOT the same type as the factory coating.

Actually I believe that Wurth offers a factory style undercoating that is compatiable with most factory coatings....I forget what it is called though.

Spray truck bedliner under your vehicle and in the fender wells. Lots of people with jeeps do this and wrangler owners will even spray a strip along the bottom of the tub to keep rust from forming.

That's why the factory style undercoating is best. It is hard resists trapping any debris or corrosive salt water next to the body and the best part is that you simply use a high pressure water jet and maybe soap to wash the salt and other debris away easily.

I've seen many factory coatings (sound deadeners) delaminate over time and trap corrodants. Fluid Film is not as prone to this.

Again most modern cars need NO extra protection and have a decade or more worth of rust through warranty.

Which manufacturers provide this 10-year warranty?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Spray truck bedliner under your vehicle and in the fender wells. Lots of people with jeeps do this and wrangler owners will even spray a strip along the bottom of the tub to keep rust from forming.

ever hear of people saying if it chips of it the surface is not prepped right moisture will get under the coating and cause rust issues that wont be seen until its too late?

I did do alot of spray can bed liner coating but its obviously not working perfectly AND its just soo hard to do all the prep work on a 11 year old Michigan car without a lift and alot of sanding tools thats needed to apply a hard type of undercoating. prep work is key and prep work is just too much sometimes.

Nice part of doing oil type coatings is you can clean it as best as you can and spray right over rust and small amounts of dirt with no prep. you dont need to worry about missing small spots because the oil will seep and spread out into all the nooks and crannys you missed. you dont need to sand or smooth out anything. the only problem is its not permanent and needs to be done usually annually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back