Grease Compatible with Dexron vi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to get the dealer to lubricate my drive shaft spline to help quiet the drive-shaft clunk, but they tell me GM is now saying DON'T lubricate with grease because it may find it's way to the trans oil. Only grease with Dexron vi, which I and others tried and it's useless!

This is only on 4wd, because the drive shaft connects to the transfer case which uses ATF and there is no retainer for the grease by design.

I am looking for grease that will not hurt anything if it mixes with Dexron vi or at least is safe!

Any recommendation?

How could grease find its way into your transmission oil, unless your seal is bad?
21.gif

Just put some grease on the darn thing. No way it's going to get into the transfer case. The case has to be sealed to keep ATF in and dirt out.

Mine is 2008..Thanks all for the reply & and hope to find a fix, ATF only last hours or days depending on the climate.

Subject: Do Not use Slip Yoke Grease from Bulletin #09-04-17-002C on 4WD Vehicles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM Customer Care and Aftersales

*URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY*

DATE: November 4, 2010
SUBJECT: Do Not use Slip Yoke Grease from Bulletin #09-04-17-002C on 4WD Vehicles.
MODELS: 2007 – 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series

2008 – 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series

2007 – 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Series

2008 – 2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series

Equipped with 4WD (RPO NQG, NQH)

TO: Chevrolet/GMC Dealers
ATTN: Service Manager and Parts Manager

A new grease, part # 19257121 (in Canada, 19257122), was recently released for lubrication of slip yoke splines to repair a condition of a bump feel or clunk noise at stop or from launch on the vehicles equipped with 4L60 Automatic Transmission (RPO M30) and 2WD. Please see Bulletin # 09-04-17-002C for details.

Do not use the new grease for lubrication of slip yoke splines on 4WD vehicles. The output shaft in a 4WD transfer case does not have a grease retainer to keep the grease from migrating into the transfer case and mixing with the fluid inside. The new grease is not compatible with the Automatic Transmission fluid used in the transfer case and can cause damage if mixed. Lubricate the splines on 4WD vehicles with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004). Please refer to Bulletin # 09-04-21-003B for repairing the bump feel or clunk noise condition on 4WD vehicles.

#09-04-21-003B: Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines) - (Aug 11, 2009)

Subject: Clunk Noise at Stop or from Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines)

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series

2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Series

2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series

Equipped with 4WD (RPO NQG, NQH)

Attention: This bulletin contains a procedure to clean/lubricate the rear propshaft slip yoke splines and replace, if necessary. Check the history on this vehicle. If the lubrication procedure has been performed previously, then continue on and replace the transfer case rear output shaft.

Condition:
Some customers may comment on a bump feel or clunk noise at a stop or on launch. Customers may also comment that the bump feel or clunk is noticed after the vehicle has come to a complete stop and that it feels as if the vehicle was bumped from behind.

Cause:
This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transfer case rear output shaft splines. Braking to a complete stop can force the propshaft slip yoke forward into the transfer case while the vehicle rebounds slightly backward after stopping its momentum.

Correction:
Note: The clunk noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full. If the condition is eliminated after filling the fuel tank, the noise is isolated to the fuel movement in the tank. Please make no repair attempts, as this noise is considered an operating characteristic.

Verify the customer's concern.

Clean/Lubricate Rear PropShaft Slip Yoke Splines
Remove the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
Inspect the rear propshaft slip yoke splines.
Note: Protect the transfer case rear seal from Brake Clean.

Clean the rear propshaft slip yoke splines with Brake Clean or equivalent and a shop towel.
Assure that the splines are free of rust or other foreign material.
Lubricate the spline with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004).
Reinstall the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
Road test the vehicle and verify that the noise is gone.
If the vehicle has a repeat concern after lubricating the slip yoke splines, replace the rear output shaft.
Replace Transfer Case Rear Output Shaft
Note: Do Not replace the output shaft unless the cleaning and lubrication procedure is ineffective.

Remove the transfer case assembly. Refer to Transfer Case Assembly Replacement in SI.
Disassemble the transfer case. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble in SI.
Replace the transfer case rear output shaft. Refer to the Parts Information below.
Assemble the transfer case.
Reinstall the transfer case assembly.

Parts Information:

19133059 - SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQH)

19133061 - SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQG)

88861003 (in Canada, 88861004) - Automatic Transmission Fluid

No grease is compatible with ATF. If you can get to the splines by removing something, I'd use Honda moly paste 60, available at a Honda motorcycle shop. It is not grease and will not flow. Moly paste 60 is designed for the splines on motorcycle drive shafts.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
No grease is compatible with ATF. If you can get to the splines by removing something, I'd use Honda moly paste 60, available at a Honda motorcycle shop. It is not grease and will not flow. Moly paste 60 is designed for the splines on motorcycle drive shafts.

Many thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back