Cookware set made in NA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of older Kitchen Aid pans is beginning to lose its non-stick finish and I'm just going to buy a new cookware set for Valentine's Day. My wife loves Rachel Ray, and I can get that set from a number of places, including direct from the manufacturer (which is Meyer Corporation, via potsandpans.com). However, after reading the Meyer web page, I'm guessing that most of the products are made overseas.

Can anyone recommend a good cookware set made in North America? I don't imagine spending more than about $200-250 for a standard 10- or 12-piece set.

Thanks!

Bought my wife a set for Christmas (Calphalon.) She loves them. Got a good deal at Macys on sale: 12 pc: Reg:$280 Sale:$149 plus a bonus 20" pot that looks a lot like a deep wok. We use that more than any of the pieces

Skip the non-stick and go with a calphalon or SSt or Porcelain . Non stick is toxic stuff when overheated. Keep a caged canary in the kitchen and when it falls off the roost you're assuredly running your TFAL too hot ...

Thank you for the replies so far. Our current Kitchen Aid cookware set is about 10 years old, and most of the non-stick surfaces are still good. I will admit to putting the small french skillet in the dishwasher, and that's the one that's peeling, so owner abuse is most certainly the reason for the lift-off there. The large skillet pan (non-stick) is the one we use most and it's still 100%. The two smaller sauce pans and the larger stockpot are stainless steel, which works well. We don't really need non-stick pans, but it is highly convenient for quick one-pan meals in the large skillet.

I like that Tramontina set. We have a set of Tramontina serrated knives. They say BRAZIL on the blades. I'd be okay with Brazil (if that's where the cookwear is made). I'd prefer North America, but at least it's not China.

Keep the replies coming!

I feel dumb.

I went back in the cabinet to see what we've got. Almost all of our stuff is "Kitchen Essentials by Calphalon". That's all the stainless stuff. We have one Kitchen Aid piece, the large skillet. (But I guess I was thinking it was all Kitchen Aid.) All of the Calphalon is pretty nice stuff, and in good condition (shows you how much I use it!). We did get rid of the one small skillet with the flaking non-stick, but we can utilize a different pan for that.

The Kitchen Aid large skillet does have some scratches in the non-stick, so I'm sure we'll have to replace that one in the semi-near future. I may buy a high quality individual piece from All-Clad or simialr to replace just that one pan.

Lodge cast iron.

Non stick, goes from the burner to the oven even at 500 degree temperatures, produces a superior food product, is nearly indestructible, and so durable you'll never have to replace it.

With the exception of their enameled products, Lodge is manufactured in the USA.

We were at Kohl's today, and as I suspected, nearly every piece of cookware in there was made in China. Disappointing, really. We went there to check out new vacuums, to replace our old Bissell. We'll likely replace it with the same model. They're made in Korea. Okay I guess.

LODGE. That is all I use. It seems everyone is moving to this new nonstick and replace every few years. My wife and I use 60 plus year old cast iron and some newer that we purchase. All i will buy is Lodge.

Before we got married, my wife had a set of WearEver aluminum pots and pans with copper lids Made in USA I had an old set of RevereWear copper clad stainless pots and pans made in Riverside California. These were hand-me downs in both cases and probably nearly as old as we are.

I had a cast iron skillet of unknown origin. She decided that she did not like it. It's whereabouts are unknown. Probably in the attic

One of our wedding gifts was a set of Calphalon made in Toledo, OH.

I had to look to find foreign made cookware. She has a LeCrueset enameled cast iron Dutch Oven made in France that has to be at least 50 years old and a large T-Fal skillet also made in France that we picked up at Ross or TJ Maxx or one of those discount outlets.

I am genuinely suprised at the complete lack of Chinese cookwear. Then again, all of our cookwear is at least 9 years old save the T-Fal.

Cast iron is the original non-stick. Lodge preferred. It's made in South Pittsburg, TN.

All-Clad is made in the US. They've recently moved their lid production to the US as well. We got a 10-piece set for ~ $181 as it was a display set at one of the department stores. They weren't going to carry them anymore.

Here's some other options of made in USA.
ManPans
Regal Ware
Kitchen Craft
360 Cookware

I forgot a few more. I believe that Nordic Ware non-stick is made in the US. Amazon page
Also, Carlisle makes a non-stick pan in their Dura Ware line typically found at restaurant supply stores. They are made in the US.

If you don't mind the weight, definitely consider getting some Lodge cast iron items. I have a 10" skillet and even eggs don't stick to it. I also don't have to be gentle with it since there isn't a non-stick coating to scratch. And it will probably last a long time.

Allclad is made in a factory 20 min from Pittsburgh PA. IMHO, it's worth the money, disperses the heat evenly across the bottom surface (no hot/cold spots) & requires lower heat to cook, heats quickly. HD hardware as well.

Last edited:
I now stay far away from the Teflon pans, as there is strong suspicion in some circles that the continuous Teflon deterioration is related to cancer. Our personal favorite is tri-ply stainless, particularly Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro.

In any case, don't just switch without asking the wife. Different constructions have different cooking characteristics and if the wife loves her existing set, this gift may not be that well received.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Thank you for the replies so far. Our current Kitchen Aid cookware set is about 10 years old, and most of the non-stick surfaces are still good. I will admit to putting the small french skillet in the dishwasher, and that's the one that's peeling, so owner abuse is most certainly the reason for the lift-off there. The large skillet pan (non-stick) is the one we use most and it's still 100%. The two smaller sauce pans and the larger stockpot are stainless steel, which works well. We don't really need non-stick pans, but it is highly convenient for quick one-pan meals in the large skillet.

I like that Tramontina set. We have a set of Tramontina serrated knives. They say BRAZIL on the blades. I'd be okay with Brazil (if that's where the cookwear is made). I'd prefer North America, but at least it's not China.

Keep the replies coming!

I got a set of Tramontina knives as a sales award when working for Western Auto. Made in Brazil.
Still in use today.

It's not North America, but I didn't buy them.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back