Honda's bulk Petro Canada (0w20) good enough or no

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 crv and wAs wondering if the honda factory oil ( Petro Canada 0w20 ) oil is any good or is there a much better synthetic for me to enjoy this vehicle for as long as my other Honda's have.

The Honda 0W-20 is made by Idemitsu and yes it is an excellent, robust, very high VI, high moly oil.
Petro-Canada makes many of the other Honda/Acura lubricants including the 5W-20 dino and synthetic versions.

Idemitsu oil. I asked the dealer and they said bulk petro Canada oil. Does perform make idemitsu oil??? Does the petro oil have high moly? What do you guys think of Castrol edge titanium???

There is nothing wrong with the petro canada oil. Castrol Edge with syntec and castrol edge titanium are also good oils. Follow your drain interval and all those oils will serve you fine for many miles.

The two best 20wt oil values by far in Canada are the Toyota Brand 0W-20 and the Idemitsu made Honda/Acura 0W-20.
The two formulations are similar with ultra high VIs and moly levels. We're talking about 650 ppm of moly which is about 10X the amount in PC oils.

The Honda 0W-20 is a bit heavier than the Toyota oil.

Forget about Castrol Edge as it is over priced and inferior to the Honda and Toyota oils.

How does Mobil 1 0w20 compair to Honda 0w20? I have access to both and just bought a 2011 CRV also. I plan on doing my own oil changes and need a good oil to use.

Just called Honda and there bottled 0w20 is different then the bulk 0w20. Could it be Idemitsu? All it says on the bottle is genuine Honda and manufactured in the USA.

Yes the Idemitsu made Honda/Acura 0W-20 (their NA plant is in Jeffersonville, Illinois) is also available in 205L drums to dealers. I got a deal last year from my local Honda dealer on some Idemitsu 0W-20 oil that way.
While PC does supply most of the lubricants to Honda/Acura Canada, their 0W-20 oil doesn't meet Honda's requirements for the grade.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The following is a VOA (column 2) on the Idemitsu made Honda/Acura GF-4 SM 0W-20:

Given the low starting TBN of the Honda 0W20, I'm wondering how long of an OCI you plan on doing with it? I have enough of it on hand that I'll probably do a UOA on it at some point, but I'm curious.

Hi Eberjer078,

I've contacted Halton Honda who are also now getting the 0W-20 in bulk. Apparently the oil is sourced differently than that in the bottles and drums. And yes they claim it is from Petro-Canada.
I have sent off an email request to Honda Canada on the source of the bulk oil. If it does turn out to be the PC 0W-20 rest assured it's a fine oil but nothing special. It is heavier than the Idemitsu oil on start-up due to it's much lower 168 viscosity index and it doesn't contain the same AW package, primarily the high moly levels.
Since the Idemitsu made oil in bottles is such a good deal at around $5/L on a 12L case, given the choice that's the oil I would request if Honda was doing the OC for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back