M1 15w50 extended life oil, 14,800 miles, Toyota Land Cruiser results

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster and I'm doing so at a request from a member of a different forum.

I have a 1996 Land Cruiser with @ 190k on the clock. I bought this truck with 38k and have ran M1 since then. PepBoys had a calander with a 1/2 off coupon in it this year and I bought 20 calenders. I would typically do raids on pepboys and buy several cases at a time. This one time I got 2 cases of 15w/50 M1 extended life oil. Since the Aus market specs out this weight for for summer use I thought I'd try it.

UNIT:

engine type ..... 1FZFE
oil interval ....... 14,800 miles
make up oil ...... 3 quarts

ELEMENTS:

Aluminum ....... 2
Chromium ....... 0
Iron .............. 5
Copper .......... 1
Lead ............. 1
Tin ............... 0

Molybdenum ... 62
Nickel ........... 0
Maganese ..... 2
Silver ........... 0
Titanium ....... 0
Potassium ..... 2

Boron ........... 97
Silicon ......... 14
Sodium ......... 5

Calcium ........ 2308
Magnesium .... 11
Phosphorus .... 842
Zinc ............. 948
Barium .......... 0

PROPERTIES:

values .......... target ...... read

SUS VIS ........ 79-92 ...... 103.2
Flashpoint ..... >390 ........ 390
FUEL % ......... WATER % ...... INSOLUBLES ...

COMMENTS:

Nothing too unusual showed up in the initial sample from your Land Cruiser. Wear levels read low and were well within the normal range for the 4.5L Toyota engine. These engines tend to wear very well, and this one is no exception. The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after about 4700 miles on the oil. Some fuel dilution was present, though not enough to suspect a fuel system problem. Fuel is common in engines that see city driving. The VIS went a little high on you. The TBN read 3.2, still active additive remaining. Looks good.

What do you guys think?

Rick

WOW - don't know much about the driving habits, etc, but the wear metals are great. TBN = 3.2 is great.

Vis number seems OK for a 50, so I don't get lab's(Blackstone's) comment.

Solids a bit high -

What kind of driving? Timespan?

Great report. I also don't know much about this engine but I'd be willing to bet 50 wt is way hevier than you need. I'd guess 40 weight is heavier than you neeed this time of year. You could consider going 50/50 with 5W-30

Thanks for posting

welcome.gif

welcome.gif

Welcome to the BITOG forum Landtank!

Thanks for posting your UOA,
The analysis looks good.

what is the sump size of your Toyota?

Did you change the oil filter during this oil change interval?

Did you add anything (additives) to the oil or fuel during this interval?

Hope you do not mind the all the questions
grin.gif

driving habit is asfault at 70 mph mostly.

The oil was only in the truck for about 4.5 months.

I'm now running 5w30 as it's winter time.

The truck has an 8 quart capacity.

And I never added anything to the oil or fuel and ran the same filter for the whole 14,800 miles.

The sump size and "assfault" miles bought your mate a great UOA. His rig will last stinkin' forever if he keeps it up - have him do the same gig next spring. We'll want to see the UOA on the 5W-30 after winter.

Totally awesome! I can't possibly imagine how you'd ever improve on that, this has to be the best UOA we've ever seen.

Since 1996 Toyota has been making this GREAT engine! I hope the 4.7 in my Sequoia is simply a refinement of your engine... someone... let me know for sure.

sorry chinee, this 1FZ-FE is a 4.5L DOHC in-line 6. was sold in the US in 93-97 Land Cruisers and 96-97 in the land cruiser based Lexus LX450 was replaced in 98 with the 4.7L

I think this engine is still sold elsewhere in the world.

The 3 quarts of makeup oil didn't hurt, but most of us would be happy to see these numbers with any oil in any vehicle with an interval 1/3 as long.

Understatement of the day "These engines tend to wear very well" I'd say...

It is a great report, but it holds 8 quarts of oil. That is a lot of oil! All wear metals are diluted due to the high oil volume.

The wear metals might be diluted in the huge volume of oil, but even if you double the wear metals they are still spectacular!

You guys seem to like my UOA, wish I knew why.

Is there some kind of tutorial around here to help me understand this report?

I originally did this for the benefit of a Land Cruiser forum and knew there were a few guys there who would know what this means.

In fact a member here will receive that single oil filter soon so he can autopsy it. Maybe he will share his results with the rest of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back