Brake fluid for Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Civic and was wondering if you have to use the "Honda" brand DOT3/4 fluid or if any brand is compatible. I get conflicting information from dealers. Any Honda guys know?

Any off the shelf DOT 4 shall do.

BTW: DOT3 and DOT4 are definitely "mixable".

DOT4 has better wet boiling point than DOT3, which the spec is getting old.

Q.

Yeah any brands are compatible, that is why they have a spec, other brands are fine as long as they are the same spec.

I always just buy my brake fluid from Napa in Napa bottles. Has always done the job for me.

Any.

You want to stick with Honda power steering fluid. Their ATF and Coolant have some aftermarket subs, but fairly specific requirements. Everything else is just mass market.

Definitely Honda PSF due to different viscosity and additional additives (detergents?)

ATF there are compatible ones but seems like a lot of people using "Import Multi Vehicle" ATF are doing fine.

Not sure about coolant but as long as you use silicate free and change frequent enough it "should" be fine.

Generic Brake Fluid is good enough.

Thanks everyone. I did get some Honda specific PS fluid made by Valvoline that I will use. I always get their ATF, blue coolant and diff oil at the dealer. The service manual says only use "genuine Honda DOT3" brake fluid which I thought was kind of strange. If it is DOT 3 it should be compatible.

Last edited:
The manual I have states use only Honda DOT 3 HD brake fluid. That's probably what the dealer (should be) is saying.

Honda recalled some vehicles about a year ago due to corrosion in the master cylinder, didn't they? The reason they gave was because of non-Honda brake fluid being used.

For the relatively small price difference, and the frequency of fluid exchange, I see little economy in buying non-OEM fluid here.

It was a full-on recall. I don't have the actual recall letter, but here is a link to the article from 2010:

USAToday article

From the article:

"But this recall was unusual in that both automakers said the problem wouldn't occur if owners had simply followed automakers' recommendations to use only their branded brake fluid."

In theory, any DOT3 fluid should be "the same". And I get the theory that one shouldn't have to buy OEM DOT3 fluid. But when all is said and done, it's not worth the risk to me, when we KNOW the system works fine on OEM fluid. The cost difference in the quantities we're talking is pretty small.

I called 4 dealers and 2 said any DOT 3 will work. So I called Valvoline and they said their DOT3 fluid exceeds the Honda spec. and is compatible with all Honda vehicles.
33.gif
But it does say in my service manual that non-Honda branded brake fluid can cause corrosion in the system.

Last edited:
Doog, what's the price difference in your area between the Honda fluid and aftermarket? It can't be much. We're talking two bottles here. I think I paid $4 or $5/bottle for it when I bought it at an Acura dealer last year. 10 bucks for a brake fluid exchange and I know I have the "right" fluid. Good to go for another 2 or 3 years.

ALL brake fluid will cause corrosion, if moisture gets in the system. Brake fluid is hygroscopic by nature, that's why we change it.

Ok, now I just want an answer versus actually not coming up with the extra $5 for the Honda fluid. So, I called 3 more dealers and this time asked for the service department versus parts. ALL 3 dealers said that "any DOT3 fluid will mix with Honda fluid and is fine". One told me the whole corrosion thing was 5 years ago and was a rubber part in the master cylinder that corroded. But none of the newer models had any issues.

Moss-Magnuson act prevents them from voiding your warranty if the replacement fits the bill. In my case, it EXCEEDS Honda specs (Dot 4 vs Dot 3) in every way and costs less. IIRC American Honda Corp. doesn't manufacture any fluids, just cars. Just like Motorcraft. Just like Goodwrench/Delco. Just like etc etc. Use a compatible fluid and change it regularly, similar to what you do with oil. Or are all Honda owners using Honda oil too?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Honda recalled some vehicles about a year ago due to corrosion in the master cylinder, didn't they? The reason they gave was because of non-Honda brake fluid being used.

For the relatively small price difference, and the frequency of fluid exchange, I see little economy in buying non-OEM fluid here.

Are you referring to the recall both Toyota and Honda had regarding the possible seal failure in the MC? If yes, it had nothing to do with corrosion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back