Amsoil AME 15w40, 9k miles, 04 LLY Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capture3.JPG

First run of Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine in the LLY, previous 6k/8k was with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme. Cost is about the same and I wanted to try the older Amsoil formula with higher zinc/phosphorus. At 9k it's already surpassed the PBE which Blackstone recommended changing at 8k miles. I plan to run the Amsoil another 2-3k as suggested and resample.

Very nice UOA. Typical of a Dmax.

Atypical of a Dmax/Amoil UOA. As much as anyone else, it puzzles me a bit, but in a good way. I wonder if the VPBE (and whatever was used before that) has a similar chemistry package, and the Cu reaction has already taken place? In no way am I claiming that happend for sure; just wondering why the absence of the Cu here?

Presuming the results stay like this, I'd keep running that load of Amsoil; it's doing a nice job. You'll need to run out the OCI to around 30k miles or so to break even on your ROI (I presume you bought the fluid and didn't get it for free, etc).

I would also disagree with Blackstone here; there is little reason to do another UOA in 2-3k miles. In fact, I see no reason whatsoever. Your total wear metal counts are low, the wear rates are low, and the oil could go much further. The previous UOAs show the engine is doing well (the particle streak aside); there is no contamination intrusion. I realize there is no TBN listed, but after 10k miles (on an oil that is supposed to be good for 3x the OEM OCI) I'd be willing to bet the TBN is OK at this point, and worthy of more mileage. This UOA shows the current load of Amsoil is doing well; why waste the money 2-3k miles from now on a UOA? I'd suggest going another 10k miles or more before another UOA.

Bottom line: great engine, great oil, great UOA. Keep running it.

Last edited:
I didn't go the TBN route because I didn't expect it to be a concern that soon.

Previously I used VPBE with 6k change intervals since I bought the truck with 46k miles. The Amsoil AME and VPBE are about the same in cost. I'm planning to push it out as much as safely possible to get my full ROI.

The only reason I could think they would want the 2-3k mile UOA is because I haven't done many UOA's to build up a history. Knowing on only the 2nd ever UOA I had a particle streak I think there might be concern on whether or not that is a trend. Pushing it another 10k if I hit a streak in the next 1-2k miles may cause wear metals to spike. Just speculating though, I'm still pretty new to UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back