Motomaster formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1990LTD
Are there any reasons not to use this oil?

In what application?

10w30 is essentially an antiquated designation/specification.

You need to provide additional information about the vehicle in which you intend to use the oil, such as: what is the OEM recommended viscosity range, how long (miles and/or months) are you intending to run the oil, in what application are you intending to run this oil (track vs. regular street use)?, etc.

In general, the Canadian Tire house-brand oils (which are made by Shell, as you've acknowledged) are quite good.

If you have a vehicle that is not turbo/super-charged and not direct-injected, then I would feel very confident running the formula 1 for 8000-10000 km.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
I have 2 jugs on the shelf, but have not used any yet...Not convinced its made by Shell though...
21.gif

Is there any Canadian motorhead that hasn't used Cdn Tire's house brand oil? I grew up on the stuff.
It's comes in every grade from 5W-20 to 5W-50 in both dino and GP III syn' versions depending on the grade.
It's good quality motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have 2 jugs on the shelf, but have not used any yet...Not convinced its made by Shell though...
21.gif

Yes Shell Canada makes the oil and have done so for quite a few years now.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
21.gif

Yes Shell Canada makes the oil and have done so for quite a few years now.

And you have proof of this how????

Is there any Canadian motorhead that hasn't used Cdn Tire's house brand oil? I grew up on the stuff.

I used to run Canadian Tire synthetic in my supercharged 87 Mustang GT back in the mid 90s, although back then it was made by Imperial Oil (Esso). I thought I was getting repackaged Mobil 1 back then though, it wasn't until much later that I realized it was Esso's synthetic instead.

sorry, it's a 3.1L V6 in a 96 Grand Prix. 261k kilometers on the clock. daily driver. doesn't burn oil noticeably. has a real noisy lifter but that's about my only complaint.

I usually change my oil every 5k. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Last edited:
'96 with a 3.1L, are you sure it's has a bad lifter, that series of engines was notorious for cold start piston slap. One fellow I work with his is so loud that one would think he did a Cummins swap into his Buick Century.

It's comes in every grade from 5W-20 to 5W-50 in both dino and GP III syn' versions depending on the grade.
Back in those days it was called Motomaster Nugold, wasn't it? And it was packaged in black jugs.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Back in those days it was called Motomaster Nugold, wasn't it? And it was packaged in black jugs.

Nugold was the cheapest oil they sold. It was recycled oil, (new Gold??)and the only oil that was not made by Imperial. I never did find out where they sourced that oil.

It was 39 cents an imperial quart back in 1970...

I remember the Nugold brand as well. I used it on my first cars. I think it was their bargain basement brand.

The Formula name new is actually new, I would say 15-20 years old. I know before that they use "Supreme" as one of their mid-value brands. I forget the other names that they used, but if they come to me I will post them...

Back in the day CT sold no other brands of oil except their own house brand. It was quite the event when I saw a third party brand on their shelves, Maybe 1978 or so...

Last edited:
it's too slow to be piston slap i think. i can take the oil fill cap off and watch it in time with the valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back