Mobil Super 10W-40 Resource Conserving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the Mobil Super High Mileage 10W-40 and it has "Resource Conserving" in the API Donut.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't because I wouldn't buy it.
It is interesting though considering their much lighter 0W-40 grade doesn't claim that.
You could write Mobil and ask for an explanation.
I think their answer at the very least will be entertaining.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
This is interesting. I have never seen this before.

I just noticed this a few days ago.It isnt mentioned on the 5qt. jug but it is on the quart bottle.

I checked the web site and it says the 10W-40 isnt resource conserving.It is possible that the oil has been changed and the web site hasnt been updated yet.

If the oil is "RC" as it says,it should be a really good oil.

Some here seem to have a 'problem' with Mobil but,as has been stated by someone else on the board,Mobil has more certifications than any of the other brands and they have invested a lot of money to meet those certifications.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

Some here seem to have a 'problem' with Mobil but,as has been stated by someone else on the board,Mobil has more certifications than any of the other brands and they have invested a lot of money to meet those certifications.

It not about the oil being good or bad. No 40wt oil meets the requirements of an energy conserving label.
It's likely a labeling mistake.
As I said it would be interesting to ask Mobil to 'splain it.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

It not about the oil being good or bad. No 40wt oil meets the requirements of an energy conserving label.
It's likely a labeling mistake.
As I said it would be interesting to ask Mobil to 'splain it.

It might be a mistake,if others have seen this the likelyhood of it being so drops.

Then again.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I agree with CATERHAM. It's likely a mistake. When have 40 weights been certified as energy conserving?

It might be a mistake.

It might be a mistake.

Well, it certainly "might be," though I lean more towards probably a mistake. And this isn't Mobil bashing. I've used a lot of their products and certainly am what one would consider a fan. However, I have never seen a 40 weight certified as energy conserving, and I've been using ILSAC rated energy conserving oils personally and in fleet usage since the designation came out.

So far, I've only seen 10w-30, 5w-30, 0w-30, 5w-20, and 0w-20 listed as energy conserving. Even then, not all of those are energy conserving, if they choose not to obtain the specification or are a dual rated oil with the newer diesel specification.

Originally Posted By: Garak
When have 40 weights been certified as energy conserving?

Don't think of it as a 40 weight; think of it as an energy conserving multi-viscosity oil.
grin2.gif

The NAPA 15w-50 I have also claims to be energy conserving. I emailed Valvoline about it because I wanted to use it in a motorcycle, which they recommended against because many of their additives, such as their detergents, also acted as friction modifiers.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The NAPA 15w-50 I have also claims to be energy conserving

It is energy conserving compared to a straight 50 weight.
grin2.gif

Well, I'll be darned. It appears that, at least theoretically, 10w-40 can meet GF-5 standards. I reference the HTHS bench test section of the GF-5 site. It lists an HTHS requirement for xw-40 grades of a minimum of 3.5 cSt at 150 C. However, that would also assume they could pass the fuel economy (and other) requirements.

However, the Mobil site at http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Super.aspx indicates that Mobil Super does not meet GF-5. Petro-Canada also indicates at http://www.canadianoil.se/Bulletiner/nya_motoroljespecifikationer_2011.pdf that 10w-40 and 20w-50 do not meet GF-5.

So, while it may be possible, I'm skeptical. We have a website PDS contradicting a bottle label. We need some of our resident experts here. Where are TomNJ, Doug Hillary, and the other experts when we need them?
wink.gif
Is it or is it not possible for an xw-40 engine oil to meet GF-5?

In case anyone overlooked this in the first post,this is the High Mileage version which is a syn.blend.

In case anyone overlooked this in the first post,this is the High Mileage version which is a syn.blend.

Okay.

Quote:
Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 contain friction-reducing additives. The American Petroleum Institute (API) classifies these viscosity grades (5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30) as "Resource Conserving" engine lubricants and meet or exceed ILSAC GF-5 / API SN. Those claims are backward compatible with earlier performance levels such as API SM, SL, and SJ and previous ILSAC categories.

Reference here. Once again, Mobil indicates that 10w-40 Super High Mileage is not resource conserving and does not meet ILSAC GF-5, only API SN.

Back in the 1970's and 1980's, 10W-40 was THE 'gas saving' grade...if you ook at adds for 10W-30 and 10W-40 grades, you'd find more 'saves gas' advertising on the 10W-40 bottles...

:p

I did contact Mobil about this and this is what they wrote back.
21.gif

"The "Resource Conserving" has nothing to do with the ILSAC, energy
conserving requirement."

-MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back