Used engine oil instead of WVO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a thought before I went to sleep last night. Maybe it was posted before, so excuse me.
Diesel engine originally was designed to run on oil. I've seen several run-away diesel that would burn own oil.
My thought is that if you have diesel with WVO system and heated tank, you can run used engine oil. Which will be much easier to use. In most cases it won't have water in it, and it was running thru filter already, so you need to filter it less. Plus it will have additives left over that might be beneficial.
Have anyone done this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found some on different forum
"I have ran used motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, dielectric fluid,mineral oil and etc.. in my 1995 chevy diesel. A diesel motor will run fine on any lightweight oil. When running used motor oil it would be a good idea to either mix it with diesel or run it in a heated separate tank (Same as WVO) the reason why is th viscosity is thicker than diesel and is harder for your lift pump and IP to pump (Potentail wear) at 160f all oils flow the same as diesel. as far as filtering, make sure no water or big chunks of anything is in it and pour it in. Anything that passes thru your main fuel filter is small enough to pass thru the injectors and burn up in the cylinder, blow out tailpipe. It will NOT plug your injectors! After a year of running this stuff (Mostly used ATF) my injectors look clean as new. I cannot run used motor oil straight as in the later model chevy's they have a optic sensor that is for timing. Unfortunately they put this device in the fuel itself and it cannot read correctly in black oil. Ford and Dodge should be fine.(Or early GM's)Everytime you do a search on this subject people will tell you how bad this is on your motor.Plugged injectors, ATF is corrosive (Don't want it in my tranny then either) are some of the things said. Once you de-bunk all that then the issue of the enviroment comes up even though if you look up waste oil burners (Which burn at a lower temp than a diesel combustion chamber) they all tout their product as "enviromently friendly" and they are EPA approved! I could go on all day but I think i'll just go fill up with some more used ATF and be on my way"

That would be true BITOGERomobile
smile.gif
running own(and friends) used oil
smile.gif

I once saw a small diesel generator on a traffic signal set up on a small trailer for signaling cars to change lanes when entering a construction zone. It has a black rubber prime button that primed the engine with its own oil for start-up.

At 160f all oils flow the same? So I guess those numbers on the front of the bottles don't mean anything.
I am interested in this topic. Used oil for fuel in a diesel. Can this be done with a 97 6.5 chev turbo diesel? And as far as the tranny fluid. Do you just mix it in with the diesel.
If this is possible to do in a 97 chev turbo diesel with no ill effects I will be grabbing a 55 gallon drum to pour all the oil from oil changes and tranny fluid changes into. What's the mix ratio. How much oil can you get away with mixing into the diesel.

Depends on the engine and the Injector Pump.

My old landcruiser, the Bosch inline IP was to be filled with SAE30 on rebuild...it would really run on anything.

Most of the modern rotary pumps fail when the operating viscosity ends up much higher than diesel, as the thrusts become overloaded and underlubricated.

Anything with modern emissions systems, I don't know if I would try. Other than that, sure. JimPghPA brings up a point. The military still uses those generators with usually continental engines. They have breaker point regulators and rheostats for voltage controls. They brushes on the generator head can be changed in about 20 seconds. Long story short, I remember the oil primer. The problem is today today's oils have higher flash points.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
The military still uses those generators with usually continental engines. They have breaker point regulators and rheostats for voltage controls. They brushes on the generator head can be changed in about 20 seconds.

EMP pulse destroys electronics. So mechanical electronics to military would be a good idea. Imagine all the high tech gear is no longer going to work if a successful EMP attack was delivered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
Quote:
n July 1962, a 1.44 megaton (6.0 PJ) United States nuclear test in space, 400 kilometres (250 mi) above the mid-Pacific Ocean, called the Starfish Prime test, demonstrated to nuclear scientists that the magnitude and effects of a high altitude nuclear explosion were much larger than had been previously calculated. Starfish Prime also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 1,445 kilometres (898 mi) away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link.[7]

Rebuilding would take years, meanwhile life would be over for many.

I posted on this topic when I first started accumulating a lot of waste oil in the aftermath of some auto-rx treatments. General concensus was quart at a time in something like an old Merc oilburner would be fine. Anything more in anything newer...skip it.

I believe someone once wrote that some trucks have a switch where they can feed their engine oil into the fuel line, to use it as fuel just before an oil change.

Was IIRC the Cummins that regularly fed a quart or two of engine oil into the tank, and replenished from a tank

Originally Posted By: sdowney717
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
The military still uses those generators with usually continental engines. They have breaker point regulators and rheostats for voltage controls. They brushes on the generator head can be changed in about 20 seconds.

EMP pulse destroys electronics. So mechanical electronics to military would be a good idea. Imagine all the high tech gear is no longer going to work if a successful EMP attack was delivered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
Quote:
n July 1962, a 1.44 megaton (6.0 PJ) United States nuclear test in space, 400 kilometres (250 mi) above the mid-Pacific Ocean, called the Starfish Prime test, demonstrated to nuclear scientists that the magnitude and effects of a high altitude nuclear explosion were much larger than had been previously calculated. Starfish Prime also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 1,445 kilometres (898 mi) away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link.[7]

Rebuilding would take years, meanwhile life would be over for many.

Hang on to your old Collins tube gear!

I have heard of trucking companies mixing waste oil in their fuel @ 1%.

Supposedly to much waste oil (or straight veg oil) will cause buildup on the rings, valves, and injector tips. Also as mentioned some pumps are sensitive to viscosity.

All the common rail are sensitives, and the rotary pumps made by Delphi-Lucas.
The Bosch PE (lineal) and the rotary VE runs perfect.
The Bosch VP 44 is to much sensitive to fuel viscosity, runs ok but makes excessive hot.
You can mix @ 3-5%, no issues.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I have heard of trucking companies mixing waste oil in their fuel @ 1%.

Supposedly to much waste oil (or straight veg oil) will cause buildup on the rings, valves, and injector tips. Also as mentioned some pumps are sensitive to viscosity.

my dad did it during the late 80s- early 90s when he maintained a ~40 truck fleet. The drivers hated it because they always had to carry a spare fuel filter with them just in case.. Unsure of the actual dilution ratio though..

I've always wanted to get an old mech. injection diesel and run waste oil in it!

Up here, truck drivers are pretty used to carrying spare fuel filters. When they gel up, first thing you have to do is change the filter!

See sig, I run 70-100% WMO/Transmission oil/Hydraulic oil and jet fuel all the time.

If you filter and prep it properly, then the risks are reduced. Sure, you will have to clean injectors at some point but big deal. I average 30 gallons a week and have done so since November and haven't touched her except to change the oil, which I reused, hehehehe. I also put a cleaner in the tank every other fill and run an additive every fill.

People do run it in newer diesels but IDI diesels will take anything you can throw at them and are cheaper to fix/maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back