expected drop in mpg for 5w30 vs 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably been discussed at GREAT length around here before(I'm more that willing to bet it has), but My neon, being a 2005(last year for them) is spec'd for 5w20, but every other year was 5w30. I know one of the reasons for the change was likely newer CAFE standards (better econ).

Any idea what type of drop i would expect to see switching to 5w30?

I'm mainly asking as around here if i use the 5w30, it can be found in pretty much any brand/color/flavor I Could ever want.
5w20? much harder to find, maybe 4 brands, and mostly just quarts, not 5.1 jugs......

I made the switch and noticed no change in MPG. None that I can measure anyway. Mind you this is a 4.6 V-8. I even got my best tank so far with 5/30. 26.3 MPG, Not bad for a 97 Mustang GT.

You would see a much bigger change driving 5 mph faster or slower than from the oil. It's probably not realistically measurable to you.

Any difference will be nothing you can reliably measure in real life driving. For even more choices- come summer, feel free to use any 10w30 of your choice. The little Neon 2.0 engines run happily & well on any decent 5w30 or 10w30 you care to use. I put over 200,000 miles on my '97 DOHC Sport.
wink.gif

No difference. I ran 5w-30 and 5w-20 in my 4 cyl Spectra and saw absolutely no difference. I tracked ever gas tank since I had it.

earlyre: You MIGHT see a difference in short hop driving, where the oil never reaches its grade temperature, or cold weather but otherwise it wouldn't be detectable in the normal way you would check your mpg.

That said, I see no benefist for you going to 5W30. I live around the corner from you (near Kalida) but I see plenty of choices in 5W20 around Lima where I often shop? If we were in Texas or the Sahara, maybe.

Wait a minute, nobody mentioned anything re; a performance difference? Wouldnt their be a slight difference in performance going from a 20 weight to a 30 weight? Especially in a 4cyl? (sorry, didnt read your post first jim allen)
eek.gif

Last edited:
I've never seen any drop or gain in MPG when using 5W20 or 5W30 dino or synthetic winter or summer.

What gives me the best MPG is warmer temps and driving slowly(not to be a pest on the road). Even after all one can do for their vehicle such as keeping the tires psi up to snuff and all fluids changed, engine tuned. It is what it is!

I do see the difference in MPH during certain times of the year of course but, I know my vehicles MPG for those times of the year. Summer/Good, Winter/No Good! Longer trips, better MPG, shorter trips, worst MPG(or should I say, lesser!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
earlyre: I see no benefits for you going to 5W30. I live around the corner from you (near Kalida) but I see plenty of choices in 5W20 around Lima where I often shop? If we were in Texas or the Sahara, maybe.

to be fully honest, i mainly shop @ meijer,(where i happen to work) and the selection I'm talking/complaining about is "ours". Planning on using PYB net time around, and we have it in 5w20, but just in individual quarts (4.19 ea), while the 5.1 jug of 5w30, is...forget right now, but cheaper than buying 5 qts.
Similar stories w/ other brands on our shelves.

Also, i would like to try G-Oil , which is only made in 5w30.

funny you should mention Texas,as this car spent it's first 4 yrs in Dallas.(bought it off my older bro who lives down there)

Last edited:
It might cost you a fraction of a MPG. Not even the crazy hypermiler people worry about oil viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
earlyre: You MIGHT see a difference in short hop driving, where the oil never reaches its grade temperature, or cold weather but otherwise it wouldn't be detectable in the normal way you would check your mpg.
That said, I see no benefist for you going to 5W30. I live around the corner from you (near Kalida) but I see plenty of choices in 5W20 around Lima where I often shop? If we were in Texas or the Sahara, maybe.

I agree, and especially for winter use I'd stick with the 20wt oil and if you can get a 0W-20 cheap where you work I'd use that.

I'd pass on the G-Oil 5W-30. Being ester based (animal fat derived) it's viscosity characteristics appear to be closer to that of a 40wt oilas was discussed in the following thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2483686&page=1

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
It might cost you a fraction of a MPG. Not even the crazy hypermiler people worry about oil viscosity.

You can't call yourself a serious hypermiler if you don't.
BTW the hypermiler oil of choice is the Toyota Brand 0W-20.

I believe when they made the switch they were talking maybe a .5 mile per gallon difference. Nothing really.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
I doubt you would see a fuel economy change running a 20W50 in that vehicle.

You mean the 5W20 right?

With small engines, viscosity changes are more noticeable.
[For power and fuel use.]
An old 5-30 may be thinner than a new 5-20, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back