Rotella T-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I'm a new member and I was wondering about rotella. Does this stuff have paraffin wax in it? It seems like a good oil and I want to use it but I'm worried about sludge issues if that's true. And second I know its suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches so does this oil not have the same fiction modifiers that other oils have? Thanks have a good weekend

No paraffin. Wife's tale that isnt relevant to any oil.

If it is OK for wet clutches (either by experience or by manufacturer saying so), then it does not have the improper FMs.

It is a great oil.

Right on just wanted to make sure. Sounds like a great oil, everyone on here seems to have nothing bad to say about it. Thanks for the quick reply

Rotella T6 is just fine for motorcycles. Go the the motorcycle lubrication part of this site. I've used it on wet clutch bikes with no problems.

Rotella 15-40 is not synthetic, but is actually better in the opinion of 'Sunruh.' He finds it stands up better than the 5-40 synthetic in his 'transmission of doom.' Its viscosity does not suffer from the mashing of the gears.

Neither type has friction modifiers that play havoc with wet clutches.

I think He means is it bad to use an Oil that lacks the FMs that harm Wet Clutches in an engine that was designed to use those FMs

any oil safe for wet clutches must lack a type of FM making it safe for wet clutches, but is this lack of FM a bad thing if not using a wet clutch?

I have actually asked that question before and basically was told all those FMs do is help with fuel economy. You will see many oils that say "energy conserving" on the back. i think that has to do with the FM in question here. since most HDEOs are not "energy conserving" and T and T6 are wet clutch safe i think theres a connection there.

Im not sure though

Most HDEO's will work perfectly fine in wet clutch applications,i haven't found one yet that don't. the small amount of FM (Moly)is not enough to make clutches slip.

use with confidance...

A yamaha forum I am a part of a member did a uoa with this oil for 5000 miles and it came back with no wear metals and a TBN of 4 iirc. It's a great oil for bikes,air and liquid cooled.
I think the above answers pretty much covered everything. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: haskell454
Is the lack of friction modifiers bad for a regular engine?

Just to clarify this, T6 doesn't lack friction modifiers. T6 contains some friction modifiers, but in limited quantities so that it doesn't harm wet clutches. Having limited amount of FMs is not bad for a regular engine. The only slight downside may be reduced fuel economy, but it wouldn't be a significant difference anyway.

Hi guys I'm a new member and I was wondering about rotella. Does this stuff have paraffin wax in it? It seems like a good oil and I want to use it but I'm worried about sludge issues if that's true. And second I know its suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches so does this oil not have the same fiction modifiers that other oils have? Thanks have a good weekend

Welcome to the site.

You want to use T6? That may or may not be a good idea, but not for the reasons you mention.

Synthetics are great tools to extend your OCIs. But if you're not going to do so, then they are a waste of money. Conventional oils will perform every bit as well in "normal" durations.

If you'll be more specific about your potential application(s), we'd be in a better position to give decent advice.

Today's HDEOs do very well in wet clutch bikes; I've used them for years and years with no ill effects and great UOAs. Many motorcycle specific items are marketed to bikers because, as a luxury niche, they are willing to pay way more than necessary to baby their investment, when "normal" items will work just as well. OIl and filters are perfect examples.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 silverado 4.8 motor with almost 80,000 miles on it. I use it as a daily driver and I have been putting valvoline white bottle in it with a pure one filter. MrRPM hit it right on the head on the question I was trying to say. Is the lack of FMs in t6 going to harm a engine as in my truck. Because this oil is designed to be in a wet clutch situation also

You have a gasser engine. There is no need to use HDEO in that motor. The Vortec engines are well made, overall and will run fine on PCMO. Presuming you're going to follow the OEM/OLM limits, then any decent PCMO brand is going to do just fine by your plan.

EC oils typically must be at or lower than a 30 grade, to minimize pumping losses, and therefore help fuel economy. HDEOs that are 15w-40 and PCMOS that are 10w-40 won't pass. So it's not just about the FM additives, but also the vis.

Your current use of Valvoline and a PureOne filter is a fine choice; why change?

Last edited:
I don't see an issue with continuing to use the Valvoline in that engine. The T6 would probably be fine as well.

T6 has been doing pretty well in my Jeep, and there's a UOA of it after 6k miles (when the engine was stock) somewhere on here. It held up pretty well and showed very low wear numbers, so I don't think the lack of FM is an issue.

Yeah it seems to like it but just like getting opinions on stuff. This is a great site for all of this stuff.

Quote:
Does this stuff have paraffin wax in it? It seems like a good oil and I want to use it but I'm worried about sludge issues if that's true.
Where in the world does this question come from? Wax and sludge are NOT related. Sludge mainly comes from oxidized oil, not wax. T-6 is made from very highly refined oil that probably has all the wax removed or converted to other forms of the oil molecule. Did you know that some of the highest quality Group III so-called "synthetic" base oil (which does a fine job in engines) is converted wax that was removed from crude oil in the solvent refining process.
http://www.exxonmobil.com/Apps/RefiningTechnologies/files/sellsheet_mwi.pdf

"ISODEWAXING technology converts wax molecules into high quality lubricant components."
http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/baseoils/faq.aspx
(And I'm sure Shell has similar processes, but I didn't find them in a quickie search.)

haskell454,

Ironically you want paraffinic base oil in you crankcase.

from the worldwideweb...

Paraffinic Base Oil

Paraffinic base oil is derived from mineral base oil and is considered the best lubricating oil. The manufacturing process removes unwanted substances, such as sulphur, odors and wax. Paraffinic oils are often used in motor oils because they can withstand high temperatures and last longer.

Read more: Paraffinic Base Oil vs. Mineral Base Gear Oil | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7795306_paraffinic-mineral-base-gear-oil.html#ixzz1j044g8wf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back