4-cyl Tacoma & oversize filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend with a 4-stroke Tacoma over 200k that is desperately in need of an oil change. She's got a Fram from quick-lube joint and can't remember when was the last time she changed oil.

I have a bunch of MC FL-500S, M1-212, and Bosch-3502, I think they would fit but it is kind of oversized. Was thinking I can put these in just because I have them around.

Are there dangers of using these filters on the 4-banger? Also she complains the oil is not getting to the top of her engine, is is because the fram got no ADBV?

She just wanted her oil done cheap and I am planning on using PYB 5w-30 on her Taco.

Go here and put in her year and model Toyota and tell us what filter Purolator recommends.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/ApplicationGuide.aspx

Then we can suggest an over-sized filter and filter numbers of other brands that will cross-over and fit.

How does she know no oil is getting to the top end? If so, it's not because of the anti-drain back valve. It's probably due to sludge instead.

If you take the oil filter cap off and look inside the engine with a flash light, does it looked sludged up?

Purolator recommends PL10241

I think she thinks oil not getting to the top because of valve noise takes a while to quiet down. Also acceleration is poor.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
How does she know no oil is getting to the top end?

LOL, I have to laugh.
15.gif

I'm sure there are a few girls on this sight but if she can't remember the last time she changed the oil, that's a dead giveaway that she has no clue!

33.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If you take the oil filter cap off and look inside the engine with a flash light, does it looked sludged up?

It looks as dark as a woman's soul....

Originally Posted By: Hamster
Purolator recommends PL10241.

The Purolator L20195 (Classic) or PL20195 (PureOne) is the larger version of that filter. It's a pretty good sized filter for a 4-banger, and is the same one I use on my '05 Tacoma with the 4.0L V6.

I don't think any of the filters you have laying around will fit. I'd recommend the L20195 and do some 3000 mile OCIs until that engine cleans up some.

I have a friend with a 4-stroke Tacoma over 200k

They make 4 strokes??

Are there dangers of using these filters on the 4-banger? Also she complains the oil is not getting to the top of her engine, is is because the fram got no ADBV?

She just wanted her oil done cheap and I am planning on using PYB 5w-30 on her Taco.

I would stay away from this job. If she thinks her engine is not getting oil to the top end, anything that goes wrong from here on will be blamed on you. Send her to Jiffy lube, if that's too expensive, she shouldn't be driving..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back