Can you put an oil filter on too tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to put an oil filter on so tight that it would restrict or prevent the flow of oil to and from the filter? such as putting it on so tight that the stem it screws into bottoms out in the filter blocking flow?

Goose

It wouldn't block flow that way. The danger would be in compressing the rubber gasket so much that it leaks (by tearing or popping out of metal), lubrication of the gasket would help prevent this.

As a side note, My Corvette calls out for 22 ft-lbs of torque on the oil filter, I've counted that is 2 1/2 turns AFTER contact! That is very tight. I doubt that you put one on that tight. For years I have put on oil filters with 3/4 to 1 turn after contact.

Last edited:
I can't imagine any way it could be put on too tight to prevent oil flow. It could be put on so tight that it would be difficult to remove or strip the threads on the filter itself, but flow shouldn't get restricted.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
......As a side note, My Corvette calls out for 22 ft-lbs of torque on the oil filter, I've counted that is 2 1/2 turns AFTER contact! That is very tight. I doubt that you put one on that tight. For years I have put on oil filters with 3/4 to 1 turn after contact.
Whoa.
The Purolators on my Dakota call for 3/4-1 turn after contact, and it's a struggle sometimes to just get to 3/4.

I wind up over-tightening 'slightly' most of the time without even trying...the problem was I get into the habbit of not lubing the gasket on the new filters so the feel I first learned was with dry gasket(took more effort). A lubed gasket will be tight after 1/2 turn as far as 'resistance' to turning. More like equal to 1 full turn at that point...

Well to be honest I used a filter cap wrench as I was really reaching to put filter on.....I think I may have over tightened for sure.....nothing leaking but engine does sound a bit rougher at idle and want to make sure I'm not constricting flow at all.....yeah I know....I suppose I could loosen it up at bit but afraid maybe gasket is really scrunched down and wouldn't give a good seal now......just trying to rule out any restriction of oil flow

Goose

Hand tight is just fine, no need to over tighten any oil filter. I've noticed Honda oil filters from the factory are installed extra tight.

Ok Iit anything I thought my oil pressure was a little higher.....maybe just the Pennz Plat synth giving the engine a different tone......6 degrees probably playing a part in it too lol....the filter from factory was on awful snug as well

Goose

Restriction shouldn't be a problem but you may have to destroy it to get it off. You really should oil the new gasket next time. it can save you a lot of time and trouble in the future.

Yeah....I've changed the oil on all my cars for years and I usually have no issues reaching the filter so it was easy to tighten by hand properly. This was my first change on Silverado and did it without ramps. Getting at the filter was ok but reaching to tighten it was another story, hence the filter cap wrench. I did oil the gasket and tightened by hand best I could. Seemed to keep turning easily with wrench without much pressure....just think I tightened a bit more than should be. I imagine as long as gasket is holding and no leaks it should be ok......like I said, just wanted to ask if I could have restricted flow by too much tightening

Goose

Problems with too tight are:
Can't get it off again!
Seal squishes out and leaks
distortion of the body so any ADBVs are rendered inoperative,
Flow leaks around the media from distortion.

I've heard one analogy/method.

With your hands oily/dirty from the oil change, use your oiled/slippery hand, and snug the filter on, to the point your hand slides off the filter.

That's about all it takes......

But yea, all cars are different.

I'd be worried about ruining threads, or even the gasket with it "too tight".....good point about the ADBV too....

And yes, I've heard of those mishaps.....needing to stab screw driver through the filter to torque it off.....then you're really screwed :p Cause you BETTER get it off, or else you can't drive the car at all with a whole going through the filter :p

Whoa, that's fine for some but on a really high pressure system that could leak.

I actually torque the oil filter on my blown boat motor. But normally a good twist of the wrist, which for me equates to 50-75 ft. lbs. or so, is good.

You want an end cap adapter and to use an electric impact gun set to 1,750 lb-ft to torque down the oil filter to original factory specifications.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
You want an end cap adapter and to use an electric impact gun set to 1,750 lb-ft to torque down the oil filter to original factory specifications.

80,000 hojillion ft-lbs is the more accurate torque spec.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

80,000 hojillion ft-lbs is the more accurate torque spec.

Actually "ape" tight would be the appropriate spec.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back