Mobil 1 Synthetics to Castrol Edge- Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetics, never had engine failures or anything, I did see increase of mpg from conventional and my engine tends to run cooler. But I hear some rave reviews about Castrol Edge, I'm sure it fine oil. But I'm wondering is there really that big a difference between these oils. I just did it because mobil is $3.00 more a jug Mobil EP that is. I'm also running Mobil EP oil filter, with the Castrol Edge I picked up a Napa Platinum. I already know that Castral Edge is Super Hydrocracked oil and mobil is PAO..But I'm thinking that isn't nothing to be to concerned about for 7500 mile OCI. Both state they are good for 15,000 miles. I rather get some input, because I'm tired of spending my money on Blackstone Lab Reports, LOL

One more thing, I have had oil analysis performed in the past and at 11,000 miles and one make-up quart added in 2 increments . 1 at 6,000 and the other at 10,000, now I understand I probably didn't need to do the second half quart, looks like I probably got carried away and overfilled a bit. But anyways my TBN was 4.1 with 10W30 Mobil EP.

Last edited:
You said you have always used M1. How long has that been? Actually M1 can't be called PAO. It's base stock is well advanced beyond just PAO. M1 says their base stock is comprised of up to 15 different compounds.(is that the right word)I do know there is Grp 3-4-5 and other goodies as well. All hush hush you know.

Last edited:
someone mentioned a while back that castrol no longer advertises 15,000 miles on edge with titanium. and i just checked the site and sure enough, no mention of it.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9036296&contentId=7067053
the site just has some generic statements about the oil, nothing comparing the oil to another brand, just castrol's own edge with syntec. this leads me to believe this oil isn't very competitive. i feel like mobil 1 is a much better formulation.

you can even see in the PQIA tests where castrol's conventional lags behind the competition.

IIRC M1 used to be PAO and when Castrol went hydocracked the big litigation threats followed. Arbitration determined that in the USA the synthetic was in fact just a marketing term. M1 changed to hydrocracked because its less expensive.

Are you refering to Edge Gold or Black bottle ??

Castrol claims better wear protection in a specific test which I believe involves the wear on a camshaft follower in a Nissan engine.

None of the Castrol Edge variants offer EP AFAIK

Originally Posted By: tig1
You said you have always used M1. How long has that been? Actually M1 can't be called PAO. It's base stock is well advanced beyond just PAO. M1 says their base stock is comprised of up to 15 different compounds.(is that the right word)I do know there is Grp 3-4-5 and other goodies as well. All hush hush you know.

Ya. They keep it hush hush so you don't know they changed their formulation to cost them less. You guys who think big corporations care about anything other than the bottom line need to give your heads a shake.
Mobil 1 hasn't been PAO since the castrol fiasco. Once they discovered they can write synthetic on the bottle but the contents don't have to be they changed everything to group 3 basestocks. Iirc only the EP line is now group 4. This guy probably believes his gubment too.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Ya. They keep it hush hush so you don't know they changed their formulation to cost them less. You guys who think big corporations care about anything other than the bottom line need to give your heads a shake.
Mobil 1 hasn't been PAO since the castrol fiasco. Once they discovered they can write synthetic on the bottle but the contents don't have to be they changed everything to group 3 basestocks. Iirc only the EP line is now group 4. This guy probably believes his gubment too.

Their 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 are likely majority PAO based on their MRV and pour points. They also have high flash points.

The more pedestrian grades probably have more Group 3 in them.

Originally Posted By: Topo
I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetics, never had engine failures or anything, I did see increase of mpg from conventional and my engine tends to run cooler.

What makes you think your engine runs cooler?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: partspro
M1 changed to hydrocracked because its less expensive.

...and since technology marches on, today's group III / III+ "hydrocracked" and finished base stocks are every bit as good and every bit as synthetic as natural gas derived PAOs are, and in some ways better. Each has its strengths. And of course that leads to the fact that the various synthetics (even within the same brand like M1 or Edge) use different ratios of Group III, IV, and V components to make up their base anyway. If someone sold an oil that was marketed as PURE group V, IV, III+ or whatever base stock, I'd run (not walk) away to a different brand.

Well 3 Vehicles, one had 117,000 the other had 67,000 and this one has 53,000 currently.

Originally Posted By: partspro
IIRC M1 used to be PAO and when Castrol went hydocracked the big litigation threats followed. Arbitration determined that in the USA the synthetic was in fact just a marketing term. M1 changed to hydrocracked because its less expensive.

Are you refering to Edge Gold or Black bottle ??

Castrol claims better wear protection in a specific test which I believe involves the wear on a camshaft follower in a Nissan engine.

None of the Castrol Edge variants offer EP AFAIK

Black bottle. I just heard the claim of 15,000 miles, but surely I won't have an issue at 7500 miles with probably any oil like this or Mobil or Penzoil Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Topo said:
I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetics, never had engine failures or anything, I did see increase of mpg from conventional and my engine tends to run cooler.

What makes you think your engine runs cooler?
21.gif
[/quote

Well my good friend had a Equinox like mine, same engine. Conventional oil and I seen his temp run hotter than mine. I also had several people I know have Chrysler 300 with the same engine, they don't run synthetics and I noticed there engine gauges run a half a notch hotter than mine. It could be simply a guage thing and not really relevant.

It seems you are having a hard time from getting personally insulting. You need to work on that. As for their oils, I have found from my long experience of using M1 (34 years)that M1 oils are better now than ever. Now their new line called Mobil synthetic is a grp 3 oil, and does cost a little less.

It seems you are having a hard time from getting personally insulting. You need to work on that. As for their oils, I have found from my long experience of using M1 (34 years)that M1 oils are better now than ever. Now their new line called Mobil synthetic is a grp 3 oil, and does cost a little less.

Yah! There Super line up. I seen at Meijers for 5 quart jug $19.00 its suppose to be good for 7500 miles..It might be the right choice for me, I been thinking about only 6,000 mile intervals at times, due to warranty concerns, even though I have already went past it several times already, lol!

I already know that Castral Edge is Super Hydrocracked oil and mobil is PAO..

Do you? Reading it quickly has a rather suggestive power to the reader, but pointed out on it's own, that's a pretty loaded claim.

I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetics, never had engine failures or anything, I did see increase of mpg from conventional and my engine tends to run cooler. But I hear some rave reviews about Castrol Edge, I'm sure it fine oil. But I'm wondering is there really that big a difference between these oils. I just did it because mobil is $3.00 more a jug Mobil EP that is. I'm also running Mobil EP oil filter, with the Castrol Edge I picked up a Napa Platinum. I already know that Castral Edge is Super Hydrocracked oil and mobil is PAO..But I'm thinking that isn't nothing to be to concerned about for 7500 mile OCI. Both state they are good for 15,000 miles. I rather get some input, because I'm tired of spending my money on Blackstone Lab Reports, LOL

One more thing, I have had oil analysis performed in the past and at 11,000 miles and one make-up quart added in 2 increments . 1 at 6,000 and the other at 10,000, now I understand I probably didn't need to do the second half quart, looks like I probably got carried away and overfilled a bit. But anyways my TBN was 4.1 with 10W30 Mobil EP.

TBN was 4.1 at 11k with one quart of top up oil and you're thinking about changing? Am I missing something here?

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
I already know that Castral Edge is Super Hydrocracked oil and mobil is PAO..

Do you? Reading it quickly has a rather suggestive power to the reader, but pointed out on it's own, that's a pretty loaded claim.

Not loaded, it's a FACT!..As is the Exxon Mobil vs. Castrol in litagation over Castrol calling there oil a true synthetic. Even though Castrol won that litigation. It is a fact that they use mainly a 3+ Base Group mainly. As for my question being loaded, it wasn't intended to be at all, but perhaps my subconscious leans towards Mobil 1. LOL! (eno # si 1 libom)

Last edited:
Not loaded, it's a FACT!)

OK. Prove it.

Be a lawyer and do the research for yourself. I already spent hours on researching this myself. I'm playing with my 2 year old boy right now. When I get some time, I send you the info.

Not loaded, it's a FACT!)

OK. Prove it.

Be a lawyer and do the research for yourself. I already spent hours on researching this myself. I'm playing with my 2 year old boy right now. When I get some time, I send you the info.

Okay, so you can't.

ITT: uses false information to exalt one product, while putting down the competitors product in the same sentence. Fails to back up any claims. Remarkably similar to "shill"ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back