Royal Purple HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed but that's not the point is it.
RP (and others) come up with these deliberately misleading "tests" to claim why their oil is better than XYZ brand oil. And it's that sleazy type of advertising that gives RP a "black eye".
As far as I'm concerned that type of advertizing backfires with most thinking individuals who now question the entire validity of their product range.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
As far as I'm concerned that type of advertizing backfires with most thinking individuals who now question the entire validity of their product range.

I agree that it backfired among those that follow the oil blenders closely (like here), but out in the real world Royal Purple remains popular among the performance crowd.

Today I went to a local tuner shop and was quoted $8.80/qt for HPS oil. I said I'll think about it and then I went to AdvanceAuto and was shocked to see the major brand synthetics costing around $9.50/qt. How crazy! I'm quite disgusted by the latter and while I can get big jugs of the major brands at WalMart for good prices, I don't want to support or even be in WalMart. So I will probably order the RP HPS oil from the local tuner shop.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Today I went to a local tuner shop and was quoted $8.80/qt for HPS oil. I said I'll think about it and then I went to AdvanceAuto and was shocked to see the major brand synthetics costing around $9.50/qt. How crazy! I'm quite disgusted by the latter and while I can get big jugs of the major brands at WalMart for good prices, I don't want to support or even be in WalMart. So I will probably order the RP HPS oil from the local tuner shop.

I still think RP makes a good oil for some applications. Like Redline, they kind of cater to the racing crowd with their unique low vis racing oils. Their PCMO's have been around for a long time. I think the major brand synthetics are so good now, that boutique oils are really losing their benefits.

$8.80/qt is no deal in my book. Not when you can get M1 0W-20, 0W-30 and 0W-40 for 6 buck/qt routinely on sale.
Or for another $1/qt up grade to RL.

My interest in trying it is to find an oil that does not varnish my VW engine in 4k miles like many synthetics have. If it lasts longer before varnishing, that lowers the oil cost per mile.

My experience with Royal Purple is mixed, at best.

I started out with RP power steering fluid in my Camaro in 2002. It solved a problem with loss of assist while autocrossing. I have used their power steering fluid ever since.

Then I put RP lubes in the transmissions and differentials of the Camaro and Dodge Ram. The Camaro has gone through 3 sets of axles due to spalling of the outboard bearings at roughly 50k mile intervals. The Dodge suffered failure of the differential carrier bearings at 140K miles. All of these failures could be due to driving fast and hard for extended periods, but they do illustrate that RP is not "Miracle in a Bottle".

I used RP ATF in my Camaro's T56 for years, and switched over to RL D4 ATF last winter. I switched the Dodge's NV4500 from RP to RL last summer. Both transmissions still sound and shift fine.

$8.80/qt is no deal in my book. Not when you can get M1 0W-20, 0W-30 and 0W-40 for 6 buck/qt routinely on sale.

My interest in trying it is to find an oil that does not varnish my VW engine in 4k miles like many synthetics have. If it lasts longer before varnishing, that lowers the oil cost per mile.

Are you considering HPS for the STi as well?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Are you considering HPS for the STi as well?

No because my ex is now in charge of maintenance on that car. That reminds me to take that car off my signature. Thanks!

Honestly, if VW engines (I am assuming 2.0T?) are as similar to BMW engines as I typically imagine, I would think either Redline or Royal Purple would work well, but due to the Turbo I would go with Redline. My S/C 328 likes Redline a bit better: slightly quicker boost build-up (noticeable on a Twin-Screw Lysholm blower), lower S/C temps, lower wear.
IMO, GrpV oils are the way-to-go for any FI engine. Regarding varnish buildup: Redline and Royal Purple cleaned all 3 of my Bimmers, and did so very well, and since the cars have used them exclusively there has been ZERO varnish/sludge return. (I don't drive my cars "easy", either, and the 328 gets many track days in every year).

Hope that helps a bit
smile.gif

nleksan

PS: I have been hearing more and more about using either RL/RP with LM MSo2 additive OR Lubro-/Liqui-Moly oils with a dash of Redline Break-In Oil, and this is coming from a bunch of friends who are track-rats running everything from E30 M3's to a Turbo Miata, a few S2000's and a 2009(?) Corvette Z06... They all seem to like either combo, but I have yet to try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back