Specified coolant for 2012 FIAT 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am attempting to locate a jug of the factory specified coolant for my FIAT. The owners manual calls out MOPAR Antifreeze/coolant 10yr/150,000 mile Formula OAT per Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106. I can find all sorts of "long life" OAT formulations, mostly 5yr/150,000 but nobody seems to know anything about the MS-12106 standard.If this factory spec coolant is really good for 10yr/150,000 miles, I'd certainly like to use it for all my topoffs as I'd probably never have to change coolant as long as I expect to own the car. Factory fill other places around the globe is Paraflu Ultimate Protection which apparently not available here. My dealership is working on this but no results just yet. Please post if you have any insight to this magic elixir. Thanks.

Its likely the same as G05, But i can't be foresure. Why do you need a gallon for a 2012? Is it living up to the typical Fiat reputation?

G-05 is often substituted for the genuine Mopar HOAT coolant, though when I used to own Chryslers, I would just use the genuine Mopar coolant. Does your Fiat specify a new Mopar OAT coolant, or the traditional Mopar HOAT? Difference is one being Organic Acid Technology and one being Hybrid Organic Acid Technology. The G-05, as near as I can tell, is a HOAT coolant.

If it says OAT, not HOAT, then be careful. It may be a G-37/dex clone.

Instead of trying to save 2c, why not go to the dealer and check it out?

I find it hard to believe that a new car would need topoffs. If it did, I'd be back at the dealer.

No, no puking...LOL. Although when I worked at a FIAT,Lancia,VW,Audi dealership in the summers of 1975-1977, that would have been quite common along with electrical fires. I just like to keep all fluid levels topped up with the correct fluids. The spec coolant is OAT, not HOAT which carries a different Chrysler MS number. Two different critters. Dealer just called and said the stuff may have just arrived. Their description was kinda vague so I'll drive up and have a look. Thanks.

If it's not the "old" Mopar HOAT, then I definitely would not experiment with substitute fluids. Good luck with your new Fiat! I've only seen one around here, but they are lookers!

Bingo! Just returned from the dealership with my jug of coolant. The delivery that arrived today was EXACTLY the stuff called out in the owners manual, correct specs. MS-12106, everything. It is indeed Paraflu UP in a jug with both the MOPAR and Paraflu product logos. If anyone else needs this fluid, your local CJD dealer can get it by ordering P/N 68104494AA. Problem solved.

@Rover:

It would be interesting to see what FIAT in Europe calls for in the Cinquecento, is it indeed Paraflu like you purchased (another words one in the same)?

I wonder who makes that brand (elf, BASF, or ?) or is that the FIAT chemicals brand name?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rover
Bingo! Just returned from the dealership with my jug of coolant. The delivery that arrived today was EXACTLY the stuff called out in the owners manual, correct specs. MS-12106, everything. It is indeed Paraflu UP in a jug with both the MOPAR and Paraflu product logos. If anyone else needs this fluid, your local CJD dealer can get it by ordering P/N 68104494AA. Problem solved.

The coolant is a silicate-free OAT.

In Europe BASF recommends using Glysantin G-30, which is factory approved for Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Seat, Škoda, and VW.

BASF also recommends it for Chevrolet, Citroën, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Kia, Land Rover, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Saab, Suzuki, Toyota.

BASF’s G30, G33, and G34 are substantially the same except for the dye color – G30 being a purple dye, G33 a greenish blue, and G34 orange.

I enjoyed doing further research. The Chrysler product is Paraflu UP manufactured by Petronas Lubricants International (PLI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of PETRONAS, the national oil corporation of Malaysia.

They are OEM on FIAT and ALFA.

It appears to be essentially the same as BASF’s G30, G33, and G34 as well as DexCool here in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back