Are Toyota filters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they used to be but have heard they cheapened the product over the past few years. Would I be better off with a Pure 1, Bosch premium/distance+?

IMO.....the PureOne and Bosch Premium are both excellent filters (clones of each other). The 'best bang for the buck'...and highly favored here on BITOG.

If your not doing extended OCI's....IMO the Bosch Distance Plus is overkill and costly.

Some folks here like them, they are oem and seem to be able to be had for a reasonable price. That said, based on one member's oil filter testing (river_rat) and confirmed by a recent test of oem oil filters by Amsoil shown below, they don't seem to be very efficient.

eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

If the Toyota filters are made in Japan or Thailand, they're probably supplied by DENSO and are very good filters. With that said, it probably wouldn't make sense to pay more for them than a PureONE.

Hey barlowc,
I bought some G oil a week ago but have not yet used it. How long have you been using G oil?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
If the Toyota filters are made in Japan or Thailand, they're probably supplied by DENSO and are very good filters. With that said, it probably wouldn't make sense to pay more for them than a PureONE.

True Denso filters are great filters but if I were to go that route I would just get a Denso name filter because they have different quality levels as well They have the good ones on Amazon. Bosch Premium Filtech filters are much like P1's very good filters. Bosch D+ are one of the best filters available on the market, you pay more but they last and are extremely efficient.

your decision

Chubbs

Doesn't mean they're made to the same specs as other Denso filters. Toyota may have different priorities for those filters, namely cost.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Hey barlowc,I bought some G oil a week ago but have not yet used it. How long have you been using G oil?

Not long. It's been in my Nissan for about 2K miles and in the Saturn for about 500. So far so good. Can't say I notice any difference compared to the synthetics I've run before.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Doesn't mean they're made to the same specs as other Denso filters. Toyota may have different priorities for those filters, namely cost.

True that. But I believe that other BITOG members have reviewed and cut open Toyota filters and they appeared to be pretty good.

I went from using Toyota filters on my Tacoma to using a PureOne PL 20195 (longer than stock) because of the somewhat questionable efficiency of the Toyota filters. They have the bonded seam at the end of each pleat, and I'm wondering if those seams might leak a little bit and cause the lower efficiency.

Purolator doesn't make a PureONE cartridge for my B-I-L's '09 Corolla so I have been using dealer-supplied Toyota filters. For $5.65, I don't see how I can go wrong...that's less expensive than a Puro Classic ($6.99) or a *cough...ahem* FRAM ($9.99!) from AAP, and I doubt either of them is better than the Denso-made Toyota.

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacoma-oil-filter-comparison.html

Skimming through the write-up for the Bosch filter, it said this:

"It uses a torsion-type spring that is very, very difficult to depress with your bare hands when compared to the bypass valve springs found on competing models. While it could be that the Bosch bypass valve spring loosens up when it's surrounded by hot motor oil, it could also be that the bypass valve sticks. And, even if the valve operates better at warm temperatures, that still presents a problem at cold start when the bypass valve is sorely needed."

This is the same flat spring used in the smaller Purolator spin-on filters. Somewhere on this board, it was determined that the bypass valve would open at the advertised pressure (~14 psi) based on the area of the valve and the measured stiffness of the flat spring. Since they didn't do this in their analysis, they are just going by objective "feel" of the valve and have no measured data to back up their "concern".

Quote:
If it helps, I just found this comparison of filters for the Tacoma.

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacoma-oil-filter-comparison.html

-Tim
Some comments on the authors 'observations' of his filter dissection.

"Red rubber is silicone, not "might be" silicone. Wix, Bosch and K&N.

I trust Bosch to know when the bypass opens, even when it's the flat spring type. ZO above explains authors subjective observation of this well.

Also, while the Toyota shows more "surface" area (media area?), according to r_r's conclusions and Amsoil's efficiency tests the Toyota media tests as more porous than others. So imo, they definitely favor flow, but aren't especially efficient.

As with many of these dissections, the pics are decent, the conclusions not so much. Imo, our own river_rat did very objective testing, and I always cite to his results for that reason.

IMO, the author's conclusions appear biased toward the Toyota filter here.

This is coming from a Toyota dealership parts department- they are just trying to increase sales.

I have been using fram tough guard from walmart. $3.77 plus tax..

I bought Toyota OEM Oil filter from ebay. 90915-yzzd1 10 for $40.Free Shipping/ no tax.

also bought 90915-yzzf1 10 for $36. free shipping/no tax. it is for my buddy 2009 matrix.

those are great buy and OEM too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CLeming
This is coming from a Toyota dealership parts department- they are just trying to increase sales.

That being said, I thought they tried to be pretty objective about the non-OEM filters. They gave high marks to the Wix and the K&N, the comment about the by-pass valve notwithstanding. Frankly, given the way Toyota dealers in our area push OEM filters(to the point of suggesting that you risk voiding your warranty), I was very surprised that the article was this objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back